Warley NEC 2010

Penlan

it also emerged that a pilot from the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance entered the burning jet (???) to cut its fuel supply

I'm sure he did

I don't think Shortliner had any doubts whether the WNAA pilot entered the crashed aircraft.

I believe the questions marks were because the vast majority of Cessnas aren't usually jet powered.

post-4688-074346400 1290286745_thumb.jpg

Jet planes are powered by turbines (eg. see above)

post-4688-073433900 1290286599_thumb.jpg

Cesnas are usually conventional engine/propeller powered (although in their model range Cessna do a couple of small jet planes)

(If trains weren't "my thing" I would probably have ended up chasing planes, as I've always had a curious fascination with aircrafts).

Anyhow, let's hope the organ was dilevered in time and the pilot has a speedy recovery.

Just got back from a very long but enjoyable day! Took a few photos of Blackmill and a couple of the other layouts but can't find the adapter to put them onto the computer!

Highlight for me was probably the T-Gauge stand announcement of a new HST set! Also quite pleased to sign up to updates from Vi-Trains so hopefully will find out what they're up to regularly now (and then wait for the prices to drop as usual!)

I agree that the Bachmann scrum was a bit of a waste of time due to the prices. Didn't bag many bargains but picked up some essentials and a couple of impulse buys!

• RMweb Gold

Cesnas are usually conventional engine/propeller powered (although in their model range Cessna do a couple of small jet planes)

Sorry to veer off topic, but day job hat on! Cessna actually produce one of the largest ranges of business jets available today, including the current fastest in service civilian aircraft in the world since Concorde was retired, the Citation X (Soon to be superseded by the Gulfstream G650). A "couple of small jet planes" doesn't really do them justice!

Tom.

I don't think Shortliner had any doubts whether the WNAA pilot entered the crashed aircraft.

I believe the questions marks were because the vast majority of Cessnas aren't usually jet powered.

post-4688-074346400 1290286745_thumb.jpg

Jet planes are powered by turbines (eg. see above)

post-4688-073433900 1290286599_thumb.jpg

(If trains weren't "my thing" I would probably have ended up chasing planes, as I've always had a curious fascination with aircrafts).

Anyhow, let's hope the organ was dilevered in time and the pilot has a speedy recovery.

Yes - you are quite right - I was confused because they started off talking about a Cessna light aircraft ( normally prop powered) and then mentioned a jet!. However, let us all hope that both the crew make full recoveries.

Actually, airline safety and shingles are far more interesting than the NEC! I had shingles myself a couple of years back. By good fortune, it was spotted extremely early, and with the right medication, I didn't even miss work. I think that was good luck, anyway! I got away with being very tired and very itchy for a couple of weeks...

I take it if its being shown on "Inside Out" that it will only be for viewers in the Midlands?

Sky Tv customers can view any regional bbc channel, maybe on virgin cable too? Also I think it can be viewed on Iplayer too, there is also live bbc channels on their website too.

Sky Tv customers can view any regional bbc channel, maybe on virgin cable too? Also I think it can be viewed on Iplayer too, there is also live bbc channels on their website too.

I'd forgotten about modern technology after I posted that obviously I was having a Senior moment!!!

Got back from Warley a couple of hours ago. It was a great day, I was pleased to see quite a few layouts I remember from Railway Modeller many years ago and have wanted to see "in the flesh" ever since. Sadly I missed the meet up due to being stuck in the queue for Eileens Emporium with a handful of 12BA screws.

Here're some of my photos from the show. These are the ones least affected by the NEC's sodium lights, which make some layouts look like they are set in the aftermath of a cataclysmic volcano. I might try adjusting the colour balance of some of my other photos and posting them later.

Warley%202010%20A%20058.JPG

Herculaneum Dock

Warley%202010%20A%20079.JPG

Stoney Middleton

Warley%202010%20A%20080.JPG

Warley%202010%20A%20150.JPG

Rymenzburger Chenollebahn

Warley%202010%20A%20138.JPG

Warley%202010%20A%20145.JPG

Warley%202010%20A%20161.JPG

Penlan

Warley%202010%20A%20167.JPG

Warley%202010%20A%20175.JPG

Warley%202010%20A%20212.JPG

Westcliff

Warley%202010%20A%20282.JPG

Blackmill

Warley%202010%20A%20314.JPG

Midhurst

Warley%202010%20A%20325.JPG

Elm Park

Warley%202010%20B%20058.JPG

Bridport

I also took a lot of video which I'll start editing and uploading tomorrow.

Paul

firstly,

Nice pics paul saw all the layout myself as well, all impressive.

Also I really enjoyed my day, mostly because of the fantastic people who I met, such as Beast, BD, Stationmaster, Mark SG (+family) as well as a few others whos forum names i have forgotten...

Also many thanks for not letting me knoe that you were the right gaggle of people and making myself look a complete Headcase by walking round the engine 5 times, LOL :P

also Sorry I missed you paul, would have been nice to meet you.

Layouts were good, I particularly liked the live steam gauge 1 gear, really nice!!!

also bought a farish 14 and I am now officially a member of the N gauge Society :D

....Cessna actually produce one of the largest ranges of business jets available today, including the current fastest in service civilian aircraft in the world since Concorde was retired, the Citation X (Soon to be superseded by the Gulfstream G650). A "couple of small jet planes" doesn't really do them justice!

Absolutely Tom. The Citation family of Biz-jets are a big seller for Cessna and are a common sight all over the world. They're not all as small as the one that crashed either, although they also make a smaller jet, the Mustang.

Back to Warley......

I had a splendid day; but then I always have on the few previous occasions I've made the trip.

The examples of the Baby Deltic, LMS Twins, Lion and that rather nice looking EMU must have excited a few onlookers, but I was taken with the 2 finished examples of the Class 70. Whatever you think about the looks of the prototype, IMHO there's no denying Bachmann have produced probably the most detailed and impressive looking D&E model to date. Assuming that production examples are as good and quality control delivers well built reliable models, then from what I could see, this model will easily equal some of the best Continental and US products.

Similarly, the now released Autoballaster is simply stunning. This was the first chance to see them in the "flesh" and I have no doubt we are looking at "Wagon of the Year".

On the other hand, in my opinion the two Network Rail wagons from Dapol (JNA & IOA) are a major disappointment. This was the first time I'd clapped eyes on them.

OK, some good weathering may well improve matters somewhat, but out of the box I think they look C**p with a capital C.

The weathered 0 gauge diesels on the Waterman Collection stand had me wishing for a lottery win tonight. Stunning!

Layouts...

As usual there were some very good layouts and a few stunning ones. Lots of average or mediocre and some "old school" dross.

It was interesting to see DCC operation being widely used. I didn't count, but DCC controlled layouts may have been the majority for a change. Certainly at one end of the hall, every single one was DCC.

Systems being used.....I noticed one with an ECoS, one with a MultiMaus, one with a Dynamis (see below), one with a Prodigy Advance2, even one with Uhlenbrock, but the majority were using either Lenz or Digitrax. However, no sign of any NCE on any layouts, unless I missed it?

Many of the DC layouts seemed to suffering from the usually jerky operation and stalling of trains, but a couple of DCC layouts were experiencing problems while I was looking on.

One poor chap was struggling with a Dynamis handset, seemingly losing the signal (the old exhibition lighting problem?). Too many prods on the joystick before the loco finally got the message....quite literally....and shot of at warp factor with its train in tow, to smash hard into the end of the layout. Ouch!

There seemed to be a crowd 4 or 5 deep all day around De Hezelpoort 1927. I went back 3 times and there were still crowds there. A brilliant piece of modelling. The appearance of those incredibly tiny cyclists peddling down the road seemed to bring about gasps of amazement, or amusement in equal measure. I managed to get a very close look at one of them off-scene. a work of simple genius if you ask me.

The usual spoiler for me is poor operation, as in unrealistic speeds and abrupt starting and stopping. For me personally, it can completely spoil an otherwise well modelled or presented layout.

Today was no exception, with a number of 0 gauge and a few 00 gauge layouts (or more accurately their operators) being guilty.

I missed the 1 o'clock meet, even if it was going to be a tentative look from the fringes; but one minute it was 12:30 and the next it was 1:35 !!!

On the whole I thought it was well worth the trip up from the South Coast, even if the return journey was a bit of a nightmare due to overcrowding on the southbound XC Super Voyager and a bunch of drunks getting on at Reading.

I look forward to the photos chaps. wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

There seemed to be a crowd 4 or 5 deep all day around De Hezelpoort 1927. I went back 3 times and there were still crowds there. A brilliant piece of modelling. The appearance of those incredibly tiny cyclists peddling down the road seemed to bring about gasps of amazement, or amusement in equal measure. I managed to get a very close look at one of them off-scene. a work of simple genius if you ask me.

I wasn't at Warley but spurred on by this I just looked up De Hezelpoort on Youtube. That is rather amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewfuFYavHP8

Perhaps in the not too distant future we will finally be able to do realistic horse shunting!

This was the first time I had been for a couple of years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The quality factor seemed to have gone up a couple of notches from the last time I went, there are some truly outstanding layouts attending, many of which I had never seen before.

I took my 13 year old nephew and he was captivated by the experience, not least because a group let him have a go on their layout so a big shout out to the Essex County guys. He also built a kit in the Junior Modellers Area. We were interviewed by Pete as we were leaving and our feedback was favourable.

The layout of the Hall with wide aisles and layouts grouped in themes worked extremely well as did the shopping areas. Getting to and from the venue by London Midland and Virgin was straightforward so all in all a cracking day out and good value for money with the advance ticket deal. Picked up a Hornby sound 08 for my layout at a good price along with the acrylic paints used by Tim Shackleton in the current REX feature to weather it.

Well done to all who put this on. Wish I could go again today; it was that good.

• RMweb Premium

Firstly I will not bother getting pre show tickets in the future judging by the 200mtre queue! What started as an orderly walk ended up as a sprint by some people to get to the front of the queue..Why? Anyway there were lots of goodies on display, Bachmann CL70 full livery looked impressive and huge, the pre prod LMS twins were a bit shabby around the doors but looked good otherwise, there was a better example of the loco on Model Rail stand, the Sentinel looked nice there, S& D looked good on Bachmann stand, still not overly impressed by the paint finish on the GW ROD. Heljan Lion was IMHO the best looking of all the pre prods, Baby deltic looked nice apart from colour.

Good trade stands picked up everything on my list, however despite being assured by T2k that the hose I bought was the one for my compressor when I got home it was wrong, as usual with Warley did not get e receipt for some things so if anyone wants a 1/4 BSP to Badger hose I have one going cheap. Everyone was polite chatted to loads of complete strangers, no shoving or pushing, and a delightful lack of BO!

Some nice layouts Hinton Parva was good if run a little speedy at times, but you cannot please everyone, while I was at one layout a bloke behind me bemoaned " Another bloody 5mph layout" I was very impressed by the continental themed layouts.

I had not been to Warley for about three years so it was good to go again after a break, there looked to be healthy trading despite the recession and less bargains than I expected.

Anyway all in all a good day out with fellow enthusiasts.

Archived