The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Not a great night last night, but stole a couple of hours late afternoon - my first radiotherapy session of the week is in Colchester at 8.50am, and No1 grandson is once again doing the honours! The rest of the week sees more reasonable timings nearer the middle of the day thankfully.

Mick(NB), I really would struggle with such a mixed schedule of shifts these days. It is such a pity that a minority, especially when alcohol is involved, can cause so much embarrassment to the whole company. Less said about thoughtless smoking the better - no consideration for the next occupant whatsoever! Hope tonight's behaviour was better?

AndyiD, the 'Lewis' men have recently of course had their own distillery open at Uig on the island - 'Abhainn Dearg' being their signature single malt. Established in 2008, I've not had a chance to try it, and at £150 per bottle, it will be some considerable time before I do!!

Dave(TG), I can now see how your photography became a passion since you took so much trouble to 'set up' that early one. All the practice you've had since has certainly honed your skills. I hope 'Is' has all the various creams etc. Like those my radiotherapy nurses recommended for me - I use only 'Simple' soap to wash around the area which is likely to be affected by a burning sensation, and I have a large tub of acqueous cream to massage in if necessary. Neither Issue caused me much trouble in fairness. Please tell her I'll be thinking of her.

Pete(trisonic), I'm counting down to this year's 24hours at Le Mans, with final qualifying on 17-6 and the race on the 18/19-6. Hoping Mark Webber has better luck this year. Don't think I'd be going for the 'pit walk' this year though - yours for only €550 each!!! They have a good web site and it is covered live by BBC Sport on line. I'm hoping that Ian(oldddudders) can send lots of his excellent images.

Mal, good to see you emerging from yet another cycle of chemo treatment - do you have many more to do now? I do hope it's getting easier for you.

Jack(shortliner) and Warren(BoD), I hope you both enjoy 'Model Rail Scotland and manage to meet up with Mal and others from our fairly unique thread. (Looks like Jack will enjoy 'playing' in any case - brave?). Any images would be a delight, and I'm sure that the beautiful keeper of the collies will forgive such a transgression in view of my inability to travel to such events.

Bill, very hearty congratulations on achieving your 'first responders' status. The skills you bring quickly to a life and death situation could be crucial - well done indeed!

Gordon, I was very sorry to hear of the distress being caused by the cancer affecting Jackie's first husband. I've no doubt that the Macmillan Nurses are doing their usual fine job but the waiting must be harrowing. It is quite amazing how many families are touched by one or other of the evil manifestations of this disease. Please tell her that Joanna and I are thinking of her, with the situation being so close to home!

Neil(NHN), you must be finding muscles developing where you didn't know you had muscles at Groudle at the moment!

After the foregoing, I must thank you for the cheering memories brought to the fore again - yes, that is the Camathias Gilera sound I meant, and the Honda 125cc '5' coming off the mountain in blustery wind with Luigi Taveri at the throttle. To my ears, the sweetest sound was that of SMB Hailwood on the incredible six cylinder Hondas. Not only was the 250cc version a winner 'out of the box', but they 'overbored' it to only 297cc, whereupon it also won the 350cc class! I recall Mike the Bike at the Brands Hatch 'Race of the South', taking on the best in the world in the big open race with the 297, and after playing with the opposition for a few laps, disappearing at the front. I stood at the top of Druid's hairpin, in the days of the triangular section Dunlop KR93 tyre, and watched the Honda 6 taking the perfect line, at exactly the same place on each lap. One pundit remarked that if you'd laid a match on the track, Mike would have struck it every time! The field that day included the best 500s from MV and Gilera, as well as the rapid Yamaha 250 4s of Read and Ivy. Must dig out that old programme one day.

Definitely got to try to get some sleep now, so with the usual wishes for health, and a reasonable start to the week,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all! And G'night Pete!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jock. Hope all goes well this coming week.

A much shorter shift tonight. Looks like a well behaved bunch having a last couple of drinks in the bar. I've left the full time night porter to it as he's well ahead with his normal tasks.

As for last night's smokers - they were charged extra for the extra cleaning that was required. There are notices in the rooms advising them of the charge.  Apparently they paid without any objections.

As for the errant son and embarrassed Dad, nothing was mentioned this morning.

I more nights on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. I've got out of Friday as I'm away at an exhibition. So any spare time outside of my normal work hours and nights between now and Friday will be spent prepping stock for the show. I may even do a few minutes sorting boxes now.

No ice hockey watching today as they were away playing Sutton at Sheffield. A good 7-0 shutout to consolidate their position at the top. Pretty certain now that they can finish no further down than 2nd so they're definitely guaranteed a playoff place. So the Saturday night accommodation has been duly booked.

Have a good week folks.

G'night.

Mick

• Like 17

Today I was expecting a lie in but got a call to say a couple of lads had dropped out of the football team for this morning's game. It meant I had to drag myself over and play my first game in two months. The dodgy Achilles did not give me any problems during the game, but now I ache all over. I think the body is telling me it is time to retire! Still at least we won the game and I scored

Andy, don't be such a wuss! There are leagues here for over-60s, and regularly tournaments for over-65s. Just last week, the guy in charge of our team forwarded a request from another team for players to fill out a team they wanted to enter in an over-70s tournament. (I don't quite qualfy for those yet.)

It helps a lot that the leagues are divided on the basis of age like that. It means that most players are roughly in the same condition. Also, there are a few additional rules beyond age 40, like unlimited substitution and no slide tackles.

When I came to Canada, I had been playing in a Sunday pub league in Cambridgeshire. I had been the second oldest player in the league at age 34. Since arriving here, I've played over-30s, over-40s, over-50s, over-55s, over-60s leagues plus tournaments at all those ages as well as over-65s. The oldest league is currently over-60, but there are guys in their 80s playing in it, and not looking out of place.

And remember -there's always ibuprofen!

(Edit - our flight was called before I finished)

Edited by pH
  • Like 15

The tunnel and railway was built originally for the transfer of stone from quarries on the east side of the rock to the west side for the construction of dry docks. The tunnel was used during WW2 as a naval command centre. Its the only east/west tunnel on the rock, it is named Admiralty Tunnel. The line was metre gauge and was built in 1893. There are photographs showing rails in the dockyard serving storehouses but when it was closed I don't know but it seems likely that the tunnel closed earlier than the rest of the system.

Admiralty Tunnel still exists but is not open to the public.

Morning all. A bit chilly outside and doesn't look like it's going to get much warmer today.

I had severe problems sleeping last night which means lots of coffee to be consumed.

Jock - I hope that the early start isn't too bad for you.

Have a good day everyone

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry but slightly frosty and 0oC.

Chris had yet another call yesterday from her boss asking her to work today instead of Wednesday. I think she's getting fed up with it but all she has to do is say no.

I've got to see the Doctor today - nothing very serious, just a recurring problem. We've been with the same surgery for years and never previously had any trouble phoning for an appointment but just lately it's been virtually impossible to get through. About a month ago I signed up for online booking and made the appointment on Thursday so it will be interesting to see if it has worked. 

Also got to Compare Meerkats etc today as the house insurance is due for renewal shortly and the current mob want a 22% increase. Don't feel like paying that as we've never ever had a claim in the 45 years we've been married.

Enjoyed the rugby yesterday although England made hard work of it in the first half and it took a couple of lucky breaks to kick start them.  After that watched Saracens v Wasps which was rather a try fest with a total of 87 points scored. Very entertaining.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13

Morning All,

It is a reasonably mild morning in this part of the world.  We had a bit of Spring like sunshine yesterday before the weather took a turn for the worse and it started raining.  This morning is dawning cloudy, so I guess it is a question of waiting and seeing how the day pans out.

I am always fascinated by what lies beneath our feet and is rarely seen.  For example, I recently learnt that there is a tunnel running under Hastings Sea Front which used to carry smoke from the boiler house of the Victorian Baths.  This was a condition of the planning - given that a large chimney would look out of place on the sea front.  The chimney was built on the other side of the road between the houses and the cliffs and a flue crossed the road. 

The Baths were closed to the public in the 70s when the new sports centre was opened and converted to an ice rink.  Of course, the chimney is long since gone and only the stump is visible but by all accounts the tunnel is still there.  The former ice rink building is now disused and has deteriorated considerably (maintenance must be horrendous for the already cash-strapped council).

Anyway - enough waffle!

Have a good day everyone...

HI Jock,

If you enjoyed the Lewisman story, here's another true tale.

I think I mentioned my late best man a while back. When we were both "students" we went for a camping holiday around Scotland in an ancient VW that belonged to his sister. On this particular occasion we were camping at Loch Morlich, but obviously we had to drive down to Aviemore for the evening to sample the local beverages and perchance make the acquaintance of some young ladies. (The music of the day was "Those were the days").

We failed to impress any young ladies, but the beer was quite good. We were tootling along the road back to the campsite at Loch Morlich when I realized someone was shining a torch in the back window of the VW. Obviously (or so it seemed to me at the time), a policeman, hell bent on apprehending us, had jumped on to the back bumper and was hanging on to the air vents.

I persuaded my friend to stop, but when we did, no policemen were to be found. What we did find was a torch in the luggage space behind the back seat that was turned on and pointing straight up at the back window.

Andy

• Like 1

Good morning one and all

A good day at Doncaster, thank goodness.  I will post about that show and Milton Keynes on the appropriate threads later today as other tasks call beforehand.  One such task is to find a photo booth.  I need to renew my passport and have not seen the booth I used to use since the bus station was rebuilt.  It could be a long day.  If the worst comes to the worst there is one at Milton Keynes station and I have a bus pass.

Apparently yesterday was St Valentine's Day.  I used to find an imbalance between the number of cards sent and the number received.  This was cured by no longer sending a card.

The parking problem in this street just got worse.  Next door but one used to have two cars but the metallic blue one has been absent for some time.  It has now returned and the way its idiot driver behaves means that it takes up two spaces.  Life in suburbia can be such fun.

Lots more to read so heartfelt best wishes for all with medical issues

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from a frozen Surrey.

Trains heading North running on time so far but heading south is another matter. Looking towards London there are a string of headlights form trains sitting at signals much like watching a string of planes coming into land. Not sure what's happened but the Tonbridge train departed a half hour late and no announcements as to what was going on. Also odd is thstvourvtrian is very busy so owe couldn't get seats together. Normally school holidays means plenty of seats.

Yesterday I opened up the card for my other half and despite the cover being very Valentines the inside said happy birthday. Ah well even printers like me do typos!!!

Yesterday was a whole day spent in the conservatory working on a B of B but stil not sure which one to do. It's ready for plates when I do decide and order them.

The rest of the time was spent working on the stock for Dobris. It was too cold to work in the garage on the boards but it should be warmer tonight to drill holes and plant signals

• Like 14

Morning all.

General salutations, commiserations, congratulations, and such, to everyone; seeing as I've missed over a hundred pages in 'ere.

The humidity this summer has been horrendous (90%+ a lot of the time), thus, so far this year I've only managed to get into the workshop for any appreciable amount of time once.

I've mostly just been living in front of the air-con vent, and sleeping a lot.

At least summer is a good excuse for making ice cream; so I made some strawberry ice cream, it was delicious, even dad liked it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sorry that I've been AWOL all weekend, but I was very busy with other tasks, and also have been (and still am) feeling pretty carp.  Just about the only activity on here was dealing with PMs. 

Outcome of visit to the GP brought a dignosis of a soft tissue infection affecting the scar area, and I also mentioned feeling a bit carp as though I had a mild bout of flu, which he also thought could be associated.  A presciption for a vicious antibiotic resulted, and it's one with some vicious sode effects including a permanent horrible taste in the mouth.

Was in the doghouse yesterday, after I treated myself to a bottle of Thornbridge Halcyon IPA, and took it with me to refresh while doing the domestics, and managed to knock the glass over and the whole pint went all over the floor.  A long cleanup exercise then ensued, to ensure that no traces of the offending fluid were still present.

Generic greetings are about the best I can offer, and I apologise for the lack of ratings of your posts. 

Off out later, so back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Metre gauge is interesting.  IIRC the East African system was built at metre gauge as there had been a lot of gauge conversion in India and there was a lot of spare material going cheaply. They also took the Indian workforce with them.  I wonder if some of that equipment went onwards to Gibraltar.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, cats slightly later today 7.45 so they have been fed before departing out to the cold. Having said that the early sunshine is warm. Went for a chest X-Ray yesterday things seem to have changed since I had one years ago and I don't recall a child being in charge either.  I am a step closer with my US layout and if it remains dry even more may happen. Today's first task is mucking out the rabbits and guinea pig oh joy. Holiday what are they then. If you ail then hope you feel a bit better today..

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A light covering of snow coupled with another appearance of the grew shiny OTB in the sky means it looks nice from our window. Half term so not many cars on the roads.

Her indoors has S me private pupils this morning as they have theory/grade 7 music exams this week.

Off to see a prospective club room today...fingers crossed!

Hope all goes well for Is and Jock this week,

Baz

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright clear but cool village.   The boss left early for physio as usual, fortunately the overnight snowfall that was promised did not appear.   Breakfast has now been consumed, the cats have been fed and in an hour Beth will appear to take me with her to Asda where I will be allowed to do the packing and paying. Then I will no doubt spend some time online and the phone trying to sort out some car insurance for no 2 son and newly qualified driver, daughter in law. Because she's only 24 Paul's existing insurers won't touch her, Paul's dyslexia comes out in such situations so Dad has to step in.

Then this afternoon some modelling will no doubt be done then an evening at the clubrooms.

Good to see visits by DD and Lisa.

Jock, hope that the radiotherapy goes well and is effective.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 15

Thanks for your supportive notes.  Sadly Otty lost his battle last night.  Just 60 years old.  Sometimes life's a bitch.

RIP Ott, you've been a good mate all these years....

Cancelled my golf comp this morning, so it's back to cutting up sheets of paper and ply in between giving my good lady lots of hugs....

Have a good day one and all.  It's cold out there but at least the sun is trying to break through.

Woke to look out of the hotel window to see snow falling here in Liege. At first I thought it may be too wet to settle but in the distance, buildings have a white appearance and cars are arriving at the station with a good thickness of snow on their roofs. Outside of the city area it must be falling and settling.

I can fully recommend this hotel despite the present external appearance where the frontage is part of a larger renovation. No train or traffic noise noticeable from our street facing room.

We had an afternoon tea party with friends yesterday just outside Liege and today return to Andenne to my wifes family and more time with the grandkids.

• Like 12

Sorry to hear of your loss, Gordon. 60 is almost young these days.

Good to see LisaP4 is back - guess you'll be ready for autumn.

Jock, hope the radiotherapy goes very well this morning. I have two more chemo sessions left, the next on 29th (easy to remember) and the last on the first day of spring equinoxically (21 Mar). I seem to have to spend an extra day in bed for each one, took 5 days this time to not feel tired. Will be glad when it's over.

Weather here very crisp but beautiful sunshine, very bright. Spring can't come soon enough.

Shortliner, hope to catch up with you at SECC.

Hope you all have good days

Mal

• Like 11

Morning All,

It is a reasonably mild morning in this part of the world. We had a bit of Spring like sunshine yesterday before the weather took a turn for the worse and it started raining. This morning is dawning cloudy, so I guess it is a question of waiting and seeing how the day pans out.

I am always fascinated by what lies beneath our feet and is rarely seen. For example, I recently learnt that there is a tunnel running under Hastings Sea Front which used to carry smoke from the boiler house of the Victorian Baths. This was a condition of the planning - given that a large chimney would look out of place on the sea front. The chimney was built on the other side of the road between the houses and the cliffs and a flue crossed the road. 6

The Baths were closed to the public in the 70s when the new sports centre was opened and converted to an ice rink. Of course, the chimney is long since gone and only the stump is visible but by all accounts the tunnel is still there. The former ice rink building is now disused and has deteriorated considerably (maintenance must be horrendous for the already cash-strapped council).

Anyway - enough waffle!

Have a good day everyone...

Another curio about Hastings that I learnt when doing A-level Geology back in the 90's is that at the side of the small pier/fishing quay/breakwater in Hastings in the area by the fishermans net drying sheds there is a quantity of basalt rocks. I always wondered how it reached theses shores and wondered if it wasnt brought over as ballast in Roman galleys. I had one as a souvenir but left it in a house move years ago.

Edited by lightengine

Hi again, still here, just.

The whole household have been suffering yet another bout of the lurgi this week, an occupational hazard of looking after a toddler who attends nursery school.

Added to which, dad and I have spent a good deal of time at mothers bedside, on the erroneous assumption that her final hours were close. Once again she has given the grim reaper the slip and is now eating and drinking again.

My best wishes to you all, not much opportunity to boot up the laptop to issue ratings at the moment Im afraid.

Regards, Stevo.

• Like 4