The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  Moan-day has dawned and those here present have yawned.  At least it's a bright sunny start albeit a little fresh at 11C.  We are forecast a top of 20C by the seaweed-mongers.

A couple of hours painting will follow the breakfast cuppa before becoming ironic with the shirt-flattening device and heading off to earn my keep.  Cat is out flouncing about with leaves in the breeze.  

Should have made a cat flap
 And how does one make a cat flap?  One hangs aforesaid cat on the washing line in a decent breeze.

Not a big fan of "edible" fish here and most definitely not kippers.  Nor bloaters.  I like it to have a little flavour but not strongly fishy.  If it comes with (fried / hot) chips here then my preference is flounder over the local staple of flake (gummy shark) and back home I'd usually seek out a haddock rather than cod or rock (the latter also known as huss in some areas). I did venture a beer-battered sea-bass last time I was in Cornwall though that was very up-market fish and chips at a good restaurant on the beach at Polkerris.  Mackerel on the BBQ has been OK as well but it needs to be cooked thoroughly all the way through not seared on the outside but raw at the bones.

Enough piscatorial perambulations. Painting predominates pre-Palace.

Back anon.  Sleep well and enjoy your day when it arrives.

• Like 18

My brother and his colleagues were sent on a cultural awareness course to make them more understanding of their programming colleagues in Bangalore and Mumbai. 

That's not so bad - I remember flying out from Heathrow and seeing a huge mob of people "queing" to get in a plane for Mumbai.

Evidently they weren't from India. Queuing for a 'plane is simply not done there. Perhaps it was a case of 'when in Rome', though the "quotes" are duly noted.

I've never seen as mad a dash for a 'plane as I did boarding a flight from Bangalore (which by the way at least some of the locals insist should now be called Bengaluru*, though it doesn't seem to have taken on the same way as Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata).

*Google Maps has obliged.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

I was with my Sicilian FiL in a travel agent in Palermo, trying to get a ticket for a ferry. It was like a zoo. I asked him where the end of the queue was. "Only stupid people queue" was his reply. "You have to know somebody".

Ed

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Today we went to Stratford (Ontario) to see the swans paraded back down to the Avon river for the summer. Very crowded, and it looks like a long walk for such short legs.

• Like 4

I was with my Sicilian FiL in a travel agent in Palermo, trying to get a ticket for a ferry. It was like a zoo. I asked him where the end of the queue was. "Only stupid people queue" was his reply. "You have to know somebody".

Ed

So you're connected then?

Good morning one and all

It was a good trip to Wakefield. The 140 mile journey was accomplished in three hours outward including a stop for breakfast and 2h30m homeward without.  It was good to find that an Olympic breakfast at Markham Moor is still £8 inclusive of tea, this offer having been discontinued at other Little Chefs.  My bed and breakfast provider did not offer breakfast on Sunday morning but directed me to a place nearer Doncaster which offered unlimited food and tea for £6.18.  Sadly it does not offer accommodation but hey, one cannot have everything.  If I go where I am supposed to be going on Saturday next it will entail rising at 05.00 three weeks running.  Hmmm.  Let me muse on that.

At the show there was lots to see, buy and inspire.  I had an enjoyable cuppa with, among others, John Killybegs and spent ages nattering to him and many others.  The plague of locusts that is the bring and buy stall never ceases to amaze me.  Someone spent £445!  I would love to know on what he spent it.

The week ahead looks to be relatively quiet but something will surely arise to fill the gaps in the diary.  As well as the perennial laundry and ironing round there might, just might, be a bit of remedial work in the garden.  I was not listening to the Farming Today 5 day forecast just one because I was concentrating on this but it is undeniable that if there is to be any hope of a half decent crop of strawberries this year the interlopers in the strawberry bed will have to be removed, preferably without also removing the strawberry plants up to which they snuggle.  This week or next I should also have a blood test as ordered by Sister Diabetes.  Come to think of it, I also need to chase a letter confirming another medical appointment since I know the date and time but not the place.

What a lot there is to read after two days away.  Ho hum, best get on with it.  Warm thoughts to all, especially those in distress.

Chris 

• Like 17

Morning All,

It is another nice bright sunny morning today.  The weather was good over the weekend too.

Now that the painter is finished with the house, I spent much of Saturday painting the remaining metalwork - but I need to get more paint before I can apply the second coat.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

A reasonable amount of sleep of about 6 hours but broken often by having to change positions due to various aches and pains.

Very low cloud this morning the tree were dripping water onto the roads but I had mostly full vision straight ahead, except for when on that rare thing in Norfolk, High Ground. Most of the hedgerows are that spring light green now but the trees are still biding their time.

This  was needed this morning for the BBC news, post-15969-0-65710800-1491198772.jpg

Or to be more precise the spelling version.

In the Big red and white headlines this morning across the screen,   GIBRALTER.

Time to go and do some work If I can lever myself out of this chair.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning to most from a fatchy pog covered highlands in North West Leeds. (Evening Rick).

My first task today is to go shopping at Moreasons, after which I am allowed a Moreasons breakfast of scrambled egg on toast.

I must then try to complete some crust earning activities and a bit of pre AGM activities. Boy do I know how it live? Yes I do so I shall also be "planting" some buffer stops and signal related items on the Leeds MRS OO layout.

Time to gird loins and head off into the fog.

Have a great time whatever you have to do today.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning

A reasonable run back from Cheltenham yesterday with only a hold up on the usual locations such as M40 appraoching High Wycombe and on the M25 approaching Chertsey. Layout unloaded.

Next weekends show is walkable without a layout buand a bit to far to use the trolleys as Santa Barbara is out for the first time since 2015.

Meanwhile off to work unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Bright, sunny, cold - ice scrapers at the ready.  Of course, I put the stove to bed, and cut the heating back a bit as it has been so warm. 

Car duly scraped for the morning taxi run - then home as Morereasons are coming to me - they don't deliver a breakfast unfortunately.  I do prefer their flying start breakfast to the scrambled egg version.  When we go to Scotland later this week, there is an even more healthy version, with sliced (Lorne) sausage and fried potato scones in place of the link sausage and freid bread - yum.

Caloo calay, radio came on this morning, and Chis Evans is off for two weeks - after last week broadcasting his personal affairs all over the nation, I do feel that he is getting a bit much.

Back later

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone. Here in mid Wales the sun is out and the sky is blue and the sky largely uncluttered by clouds but I have a day of steamy stripping ahead of me. No not a new career, there's a limited market for middle aged greying blokes who've started to sag round the middle, but time to take off the wallpaper in what was the middle bedroom of our new home. It's slightly more involved than usual as the previous occupants have also papered the ceiling with wood-chip. However on the test patch the steam stripper seems to make light work of painted heavyweight textured paper so I'm hoping for swift-ish progress.

In other news I found this piece in the Guardian both amusing and thought provoking.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's a sunny start to the day and my travels take me to Clitheroe and Altham.

Back later

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evidently they weren't from India. Queuing for a 'plane is simply not done there. Perhaps it was a case of 'when in Rome', though the "quotes" are duly noted.

I've never seen as mad a dash for a 'plane as I did boarding a flight from Bangalore (which by the way at least some of the locals insist should now be called Bengaluru*, though it doesn't seem to have taken on the same way as Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata).

*Google Maps has obliged.

My brother was a BOAC/BA pilot and one morning was first officer on a fully laden 747 taking off for 'Bombay' when an engine went bang. Despite the presence of  BoT inspector in the cockpit they completed the take off and the nearest divert was Prestwick.  The captain told the cabin crew to open the bar and the Bombay bound passengers had drunk the plane dry before they landed at Prestwick. I wonder whether they were dressed for Scottish weather.

Anyway good morning from the southern uplands of Leeds.  Unlike North Leeds we must be righteous here as it's lovely and sunny.   A trip to Asda is on the cards and then I've got one or two jobs to do.   Then some modelling this afternoon.   This evening I'll be visiting our club chairman who is still in dock.   He's having a 2nd stent fitted this morning to repair some older damage that they've found.   I'll call in and see him en-route to the club.   Not a bad day in prospect.  

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Re-naming ships

Liverpool Bridge - Derbyshire.  Lost with all hands.

RIP a lot of friends, and almost me.

attachicon.gifliverpool bridge.PING

I realise how much this affected you Neil but it's rather uncanny that you posted it the same day that another Very Large Ore Carrier has been reported missing in the South Atlantic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-39475836

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

A good day in prospect. Less Brickwork done yesterday than expected as I was required to assist with various gardening tasks. More brickwork today.

Enjoy your day

Don

• Like 2

Morning all and it's a sunny one here with overnight frost.

Plans for the week - up to job application rate and play the numbers game.

The interview on Friday sounds, on balance, way to much well paid for fun so I'm unlikely to win that one. I don't have a lucky enough face.

Not much achieved on the layout over the weekend, although I implemented swmbo and AndyID's  suggestions from a couple of weeks back; now got to figure what to use the real estate for. 

Had an extensive Lego session with my youngest on Saturday whilst watching back episodes of Dr Who. We've also been doing some cooking together. 

"Dad, when they do 'Masterchef Doubles' we could enter and I'd do the sausage rolls whilst you did the other bits." 

And on that note any work related problems sort of fade away. :) 

• RMweb Premium

my travels take me to Clitheroe.

Don't forget to pick up some of Cowman's delicious sausages - I had a colleague who lived there, and used to get them on a Saturday for me, and brought them to work on the Monday, so Monday tea was always sausages for quite a while.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget to pick up some of Cowman's delicious sausages - I had a colleague who lived there, and used to get them on a Saturday for me, and brought them to work on the Monday, so Monday tea was always sausages for quite a while.

Shouldn't that be Pigman's?

• RMweb Gold

Good morning - from A&E at la Ferté Bernard. My back locked up about 4.45 this morning and I was ambulanced here. Seen by doctor and medications and a belt prescribed. Awaiting taxi home. The donkey, whose escapology has been the cause of mybackstrain, will be told his fortune!

Edited by Oldddudders

Greetings all you groovy protoplasms. Another fun filled, rip roaring, exciting week begins. Or not. 

Beginning of a new financial year for the employer. 2000 of my coworkers getting their PFO slips today. Another 2000ish to be Brexited to the continent over the next 4 years. That is nearly 1/3 of the UK workforce gone. This is where I was 2 years ago to the day. Lucky for me my old manager saw the writing on the wall and made sure as many of us were cross trained and certified into areas where there was growth and safety. 

Saturday was spent in the front "garden" breaking more concrete. The first 1.5tonne Hippo bag is full and awaiting pickup. So much easier than a skip, and cheaper too. I'd really like to get my hands on the tw*twaffler that put down layer after layer of concrete in the front. Basically they just paved over the existing garden. Path, ceramic edging, flower beds, etc. Its almost an archaeological dig in some ways. Peeling back layer upon layer of the house's history. Some of it is like cutting through butter. More sand than cement. Other bits are about 15cm thick and solid aggregate. The breaker from Screwfix has already paid for itself. I figure a couple more hours of effort and it will be time for some topsoil. SWMBO has been warned that she must provide a design and planting plan this time.Not like the back garden that at the moment where some of her plant choices have gone rampant and need constant trimming. 

Sunday saw some minor repairs around the house done. The Landy's blower fan wiring repaired again. Don't tell Deb, but some actual modelling work in the shed, in advance of Millarville's next outing in Hastings. 

Have a good day all. Time to get some paid work done. 

• Like 2