The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ian, commiserations!

The future doesn't sound good for the donkey either! 

You can always read him the recipe they use in a restaurant in Modena.

Involves a generous glug of red wine and, erm, Eeyore. Should bring him back into line.  

• Like 16

Good morning - from A&E at la Ferté Bernard. My back locked up about 4.45 this morning and I was ambulanced here. Seen by doctor and medications and a belt prescribed. Awaiting taxi home. The donkey, whose escapology has been the cause of mybackstrain, will be told his fortune!

Good morning - from A&E at la Ferté Bernard. My back locked up about 4.45 this morning and I was ambulanced here. Seen by doctor and medications and a belt prescribed. Awaiting taxi home. The donkey, whose escapology has been the cause of mybackstrain, will be told his fortune!

Wow, those must be some really good meds. I'm seeing double just reading about them. 

Get Sherry to take care of you properly. 

Caloo calay, radio came on this morning, and Chis Evans is off for two weeks - after last week broadcasting his personal affairs all over the nation, I do feel that he is getting a bit much.

Back later

Regards to All

Stewart

He has always been a bit much.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Misty here but less misty than earlier.

Today's tasks don't involve the loft.

I was a bit confused this morning as the R4 news seemed "normal" and not about religious affairs. I thought it was Sunday.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 16

Today we went to Stratford (Ontario) to see the swans paraded back down to the Avon river for the summer. Very crowded, and it looks like a long walk for such short legs.

They have the options of swimming or flying.

Ed

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Dull here, similar outside.

Off to hospital later for the next chapter in the 'foot chronicles'.  Not exactly looking forward to it.

Jamie, yes, it hurts every time I see something like that - that's a seriously big one, too.  Iron Ore is a nasty cargo, very susceptible to moving about as the holds are generally only a third full, in alternate holds.

Evidently they weren't from India. Queuing for a 'plane is simply not done there. Perhaps it was a case of 'when in Rome', though the "quotes" are duly noted.

Yes, it was very similar to Italians “queueing" for an Alitalia flight at DaVinci Airport.......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 12

In the Big red and white headlines this morning across the screen,   GIBRALTER.

I am already finalizing plans for a US Marine landing at “Lloret del Mar” (with a hook around to Marbella) at the request of P. Trump in support of his new “girlfriend”.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

ODD, 04.45 and a donkey?

Well, in truth it all started on Wednesday, when Martin almost made a bid for freedom, and I literally had to push him back through a narrow gateway, so I think that was what started the rot. The nature of life here often means a bit of lifting heavy stuff, so the back had scant time to recover. Then yesterday morning he had indeed got out, was roaming the lawn, so I had to institute repairs, sawing wood, hammering long nails, squatting, bending etc etc.

The medication includes some Tramadol, which Sherry found gave her nightmares. Perhaps I'll dream about escaped donkeys!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite foggy this morning but it has now disappeared. Strangely I have received a couple of 'likes' from GDB, one for a post from a week ago together with a few recently for older posts. I don't keep an exact count of the number of likes I receive so I can't tell if they've been added to my total, very strange. No e-mails this morning as Virgin Media seems to be down, dialed their contact number and got a recorded message so at least its not my end. Not surprised really as for the past few weeks when into my e-mails its been running slow a a flag kept popping up at the bottom of the screen 'Server not found'. Just checked and it appears something is happening. Bye for now, be back later.

EDIT update on the e-mail front, still not getting any access.

Edited by PhilJ W

Just opened my emails and apparently my bank is concerned about my account security. The first 3 words are "we is constantly".

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1490860172360.jpg

There is a prog on Radio4 either tonight or tomorrow night around eightish, about a guy in Bristol who makes  nightly forays either removing or inserting aposrophes to correct the grammar on shop and street signs as the incorrect usage drives him to distraction - must admit I feel the same about split infinitives!  There was a "trail on" Today" this morning.I think it is called "The Apostrophizer"!

EDIT just found this  https://www.facebook.com/bbcradiobristol/videos/1359545534102549/

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 12

Greetings all you groovy protoplasms. Another fun filled, rip roaring, exciting week begins. Or not. 

Beginning of a new financial year for the employer. 2000 of my coworkers getting their PFO slips today. Another 2000ish to be Brexited to the continent over the next 4 years. That is nearly 1/3 of the UK workforce gone. This is where I was 2 years ago to the day. Lucky for me my old manager saw the writing on the wall and made sure as many of us were cross trained and certified into areas where there was growth and safety. 

Being an accountant of sorts, I thought I'd quantify Andrew's figures.  So 4000 people earing £50,000 average and paying 40% tax (direct and indirect).  That is eighty million pounds of lost income to HMRC.  Then another calculation:  2000 Brexited, how many ancillary jobs to they require?  Hairdressers, Ocado drivers etc; say 1% so another 20 jobs gone.  Food for thought.

Bill

Jamie, yes, it hurts every time I see something like that - that's a seriously big one, too.  Iron Ore is a nasty cargo, very susceptible to moving about as the holds are generally only a third full, in alternate holds.

Yes, agree and check out  the interesting shipping of the Great Lakes. See the Ore Carrier “Edmund Fitzgerald” - I expect Neil to know but others may be interested in the extent of Ore Carriers in the centre of a continent and the bloody disasters thereof...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, agree and check out  the interesting shipping of the Great Lakes. See the Ore Carrier “Edmund Fitzgerald” - I expect Neil to know but others may be interested in the extent of Ore Carriers in the centre of a continent and the bloody disasters thereof...

Best, Pete.

Speaking as another who has lost friends at sea (two lifeboat crew, one coaster master) this still gets me every time.  Cracking song passionately performed by a hugely under-rated musician.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Summoned early by cats (not even the bells are early round here) I retired back to my pit after a cuppa while herself was busy planting some more spuds and getting the cauliflower soup underway.  Yes - caulis are cheap, great big Suffolk grown one for 79p in Tesco yesterday while the smaller Spanish grown ones were £1.20 - all down the weather apparently.

Another sunny day but predicted not to last into tomorrow - well we can't get too much of it can we.  No doubt I'll be 'encouraged' to venture int the garden later but currently have escaped to here.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks and take it very easy Ian (OD) - I hope you have 'wired' Devon for assistance.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't agree more about Gordon Lightfoot, a very under-rated musician.  My personal favourite if his has always been

Combines two of my loves - railways and decent music

• Like 15

Well, that's one option for a new job shot :(  Remember the test day last Friday, for lorry driver? Just got a call that I failed the driving test. :angry:  The instructor determined that I need more then the allotted 28 hrs to get my C-licence  :mad:  I did pass all the other tests though, so the interference during the day didn't affect my results too badly.

Can I have a wall please? :banghead:  :devil:

Oh dear. What bit did you fail on?

Greetings all. The early mist has cleared and the sky is blue.

Mrs Lurker has taken the Lurker boys to her mothers' place for the week in anticipation of the boiler/central heating work being done.

The central heating people have put back the start of their work by a day and now won't be starting until Wednesday. I now anticipate they won't be finished by the time Mrs Lurker returns. I get to spend an extra day at work this week....

I hope Ian's back recovers quickly.

Time to go and browse the site!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Being an accountant of sorts, I thought I'd quantify Andrew's figures.  So 4000 people earing £50,000 average and paying 40% tax (direct and indirect).  That is eighty million pounds of lost income to HMRC.  Then another calculation:  2000 Brexited, how many ancillary jobs to they require?  Hairdressers, Ocado drivers etc; say 1% so another 20 jobs gone.  Food for thought.

Bill

What about all the manufacturing jobs that are gone due to the work being done more cheaply abroad. Very little seems to actually be made in the UK these days.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Donkeyman's?

• Like 7