The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from the soggy end of the boring borough. The redundancies have begun. I'm safe, as expected. There are a lot of good people on their way out the door. 

Don, I've always filed my own taxes too. Canadian ones are far more complex than the UK. However, the US return is a nightmare of epic proportions. Once upon a time I had a TD-Waterhouse account attached to my Canadian banking service package. One year I made more than $5 in interest. I had to submit a US return on that income. I think it was around 20 pages of zeros, and $5 at the end. Took them nearly 6 months to reply that I owed $0. If ever there was a black hole of job security, it's the American IRS. 

In other news a rant about how poor tv and radio presenters have become. Watching a BBC item about the collapsed house in west London the reporter used the work actually in just about every sentence. I was bored and wound back the report. (thank you Sky Q) 9 times she said "actually" in under a minute. 3 in her first 3 sentences.  It was actually very actually annoying, actually. 

Today I shall be mostly cleaning other's feck ups. Have a good one. 

Morning all.

It's grey and there was some overnight rain.

Mrs Lurker and the Young Lurkers made it safely to Up North.

My Dad passed his pre-med with flying colours and is all set for the hip replacement on the 25th.

Having to go private is a bit of a pain - but not as much pain as the delays on the NHS.

I can confirm that IRS tax returns are lengthy. The returns for corporations are even more lengthy - our group's was well over 250 pages last year. Having said that, the record length finance bill has introduced more complication and lengthened the tax return process for UK companies too - or at least ones of a reasonable size.

Have a good day all

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Her indoors is beginning to get the hang of this retirement lark. She has had a lie in this morning.

A year and a half into retirement* I sometimes manage to lie in until 7. But mostly not. Still, it means I have the paper read, puzzles completed (that's the mental exercises of the day done) and a third dose of caffeine before I would have, in the past, started work.

* and the layout is still nowhere near the end of the beginning.

• Like 18

When I was doing my own tax returns (UK), I was told all sorts about the HMRC. In fact they were incredibly helpful and made the job as easy as possible. Mind you, that was before Tax Credits came fully in to play. They have now closed the St Evenage office so I guess it's not as easy now.

Ed

• Like 1

In other news a rant about how poor tv and radio presenters have become. Watching a BBC item about the collapsed house in west London the reporter used the work actually in just about every sentence. I was bored and wound back the report. (thank you Sky Q) 9 times she said "actually" in under a minute. 3 in her first 3 sentences.  It was actually very actually annoying, actually. 

"erm" counting to dulcet tones of Wayne Rooney is also a good pasttime. My favourite is still "basically", we saw a Judge Rinder a while ago where he questioned its over use.

• Like 3

But all that horsehair has to end up somewhere! ISTR washeterias with a blanket (sorry!) ban on horse-rugs for that reason....

It seems to have been partly trapped in the door seal. Some sellotape should pick that up.....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone, the weather here is a mixture of blue and grey skies with the sun coming out, going in, coming out again, going in .....

In a few minutes time I'll be heading into town to buy a new wallpaper scraper to replace the family heirloom that I've used for years and years. It suffered catastrophic structural failure when the blade snapped just where it joined the wooden handle, I suspect a combo of rust and work hardening to be the culprit.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit of a damp start here.

We arrived back in port on Sunday and no cruise ships were damaged by me. A fantastic time was had and we nearly booked another cruise while still  on board but resisted (for now)

It's taken me ages to catch up on over 20 pages of ERs let alone other stuff so if I've missed anything I apologise. However special thoughts for those with foot and back pain.

I have a bit of the latter because as it was such a nice day yesterday I gardened a bit and cut the grass for the first time this year along with some general tidying up.

The Lady Boss also has pain as whilst away she fell down a step in a French cafe and has badly bruised both her knees. (and she'd only been drinking 7up) I also managed to fall down some (other) steps because just as I was about to negotiate them a fellow elderly lady passenger shouted "yoo-hoo" and as I turned to look at her I went flying and whacked my elbow on a rather large iron gate. The same old dear had the habit of shouting "yoo-hoo" every time she saw us but after that I managed to ignore her. :yes:

Also got bl##dy toothache again as the tooth I had repaired? 2 weeks before our holiday failed on the drive down to Southampton so eating was a bit of a pain at times but it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the excellent food on offer. (Most offers of food and drink were accepted) I'm pleased to report that although we ate and drank loads I've only put on 2lbs thanks to the large amount of walking done, both on board and ashore.

Shortly off to the dental mechanic to see if he can put right what his colleague failed to do. (well I've got to blame someone)

Hopefully back later,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian (OD) glad that you are recovering, however what is worrying is that you have not mentioned the donkey...... has it met it's end?

Not quite! Martin is a character and a half. In my absence yesterday Sherry had a battle of wills with him over where he was going to eat. She won. In the evening a similar standoff occurred, with the same result. This morning he was in the appointed position! He brays massivly if one of us comes out of the house, enjoys a cuddle over the fence, is brighter than most horses, I think.

"erm" counting to dulcet tones of Wayne Rooney is also a good pasttime. My favourite is still "basically", we saw a Judge Rinder a while ago where he questioned its over use.

Sherry is a Rinder fan, enjoys his mocking of the appellants, some of whom have little idea that they are being so sent up. She even watched one of his appearances on Strictly. I once had a colleague whose favourite adjective was bijou.....
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Nothing done except consume tea and chat to Matthew while he sits on the bus from Zeist to Utrecht.

Aditi is off to Brentwood for a haircut.

The reason I haven't done much is that after yesterday's tidying of the garage I am sore in many places. Today's task is to empty the airing cupboard. That shouldn't be as difficult.

People often mistake Robbie for a springer spaniel. Can't think why! As for hairs in washing machines... His bedding does get nicely cleaned in the machine, however the machine needs a clean and rinse afterwards. Our machine prompts us occasionally to run a "hygiene" programme though not necessarily after dog blanket washing!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

It would seem that I am able to effect an early escape.

Once again I've been asked if I can assist in getting some customer contact information for some up and coming maintenance jobs. I did something similar a few weeks ago and I was able to get all the information for the entire list sites that I'd been given.

So far today, I've only been given one site to go to, but as it is near Warrington it is not that far from home, but more are to follow later, so I will be heading off there soon.

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The day is getting better.  No orders were posted before the boss departed to her Dad's.   I've just got back from changing 3 sets of ceiling bulbs at church.  The architect didn't think of how they were to be changed and it involves crawling boards positioned on the support structure of a suspended ceiling with me lying prone on the plank with a screwdriver in my hand to undo the fittings.  It's all good fun so a cup of tea has now been consumed and some layout wiring awaits.  I'm looking forward to that and Gavin the cat has told me that he's going to supervise.

Welcome back to GDB.

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast this morning and there is the occasional drizzle predicted. Andrew, I watched that item on the collapsed house. Apparently the planning application had just been put in and had not been cleared for work to start, even if they are insured I can't see the insurance paying out. Fortunately no one was hurt and there was no damage to neighbouring properties. Glad to see GDB back, so its not a ghost who was adding to the likes but he's keeping up tradition even on holiday. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Good to see GD back among us and with a lesson learned about old ladies who shout yoo-hoo  (why is it that the young ones never shout yoo-hoo - one of life's enduring mysteries there).   Yesterday's attack on the oak tree seems to have left no battle scars (on me) but there is more to cut plus I somehow have to get at and remove 3 branches I have already cut but which remain tangled among the others - maybe cutting a couple more will help?

Today's highlight seems to be a visit to Tesco to collect a prescription for herself, put in one for me and to buy a 'paper  - definitely more sedate than chopping bits off the oak.

Have a good day everybody and may your various wounds and injuries continue to mend, especially so in the case of Neil and Ian (OD).

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Its about time GDB and his Bossness packed up this Urban Free Running lark when they are abroad it could cost a fortune for medical assistance.  :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago Aditi fell over going into a cafe in France. She ended up with scabby knees and elbows, just like a three year old was her comment. However we were going to Rocamadour the following day. Traditionally pilgrims crawled round the route. I said they might possibly think she was a very devout person.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning world.  Not a bad night, and definitely in less pain. 

Jamie, the screws are still in there, it was just the K-Wires  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirschner_wire ) in the left two metatarsals. The two dark lines to the left in the x-ray.  The screws stay in until November, which is a shame as it feels like the centre of the foot is held in a vice as they hold the works together! 

post-10195-0-42914200-1491301509.png

The best part I forgot to mention is that I no longer have to self-inject the anti-coagulent into my belly every night!  Injecting diabetics have my sympathies, I have a belly that looks like a chess board with the bruising.

Ian's donkey sounds true to form, if our fabric version is any guide!   He thought the floating lily pads looked worth a try, maybe they were flan bases....

post-10195-0-43905500-1491301715_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hairy washing machine advice. Wipe the door seal with a J-cloth. The pump on our machine seems to cope with any fur that gets that far. If it became blocked I believe it would inform me with some meaningful error code.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Oh, Tramadol.  Works for me - it is a synthetic opiate and as such is supposed to be less addictive.  I had no trouble stopping using it after my hip surgery, and it is working well for the foot too.  It makes me sleepy, and certainly reduces the pain.  I don't feel as if I have had any worse or more dreams than usual whilst using it.  IIRC Judge Dread went a bit loopy when he had it in hospital and went for the bus home?  Obviously acts in different ways in different people!  I found one of the anti-inflammatory drugs I once used really gave me disturbing dreams though, can't remember which one it was but it was a disturbing window into my subconscious.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think any medication has had such a weird effect on my mind as septicaemia. I was quite not exactly rational while delirious. I was allegedly very ill.

For painkillers I respond really well to good old paracetamol. I have had to take lots of codeine in the past not to prevent pain but to induce what for others would be an unpleasant side effect, though I was quite "pain free". I had some odd dreams when stopping the high dose of codeine, mainly about rodents of the variety Neil doesn't mention. Lots of steroids used to make me a little more easily irritated than usual.

Tony