The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Very dull here and a cloudy but dry day is forecast.

Nothing from GDB today.  Hope this is over celebration of the Welsh victory, rather than a trauma issue.  I loved the last Welsh try - just the sort of try that I used to score, loitering with intent.

I was here Bill and posted at 9.04 and 11.06. Enjoyed the Welsh win and thought they did very well considering they had quite a few players missing. It will be interesting to see how England fare in South Africa in the next 3 weeks.

I am advised that a couple of shops need visiting this morning as supplies are running low and the grandchildren (and me) need feeding tomorrow.

Later on I will make a start on clearing "stuff" out of the shed as there is no more room inside. I've ordered some new racking which should come this week and which, hopefully, will help alleviate the problem.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Once Sheila has left for her Zumba class, I’m going for a walk to buy a few ingredients for the curry that has been requested for Wednesday’s tea. Once I return home, I’ll make a start on the curry sauce, I’ll also make the base for a chocolate cheesecake, which has also been requested for Wednesday’s tea.

Back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I think it is very difficult for outsiders to get a clear picture of what actually goes on in a relationship, each of which is different from the next. After all, we see through a narrow window, while the partners each get to see - hopefully! - at least 50%, although often not a lot more when times are tough. So the deal that Andyram and Sarah have sorted out for themselves may appear to be unlike that which we would choose, but do we see the whole picture? We’re never likely to know.

Based on my experiences, I would always prefer a partner who drove and had a job - subject to the needs of childcare, of course - but that isn’t the choice of every man, I know. And jobs are no longer two a penny.

Having been a carer for a few years, yes, it can be a lonely task, and seem uphill at every stage - but that is part of the deal we signed up for. And of course Deb didn’t suffer from depression, although her disability and then the cancer hardly made her more cheerful.

Cause and effect are hard to disentangle. Has Andyram’s disenchantment with the blackboard jungle caused the depression, or has the black dog limited his ability to function as a teacher? Or have domestic issues been at the root of both? Nobody knows, least of all the man himself. It is to be hoped that his new venture takes off in a positive way and lifts him, of course, but Sarah has a crucial role in minimising his present discomfort, too.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 19

I agree with Ian's comments about the Wife driving, my first wife was a brilliant driver and would, (mad I know these days) often race me to places if we had both cars out somewhere. I remember one day, we were at her Parents place near Newbury trying to patch up our failing marriage, and decided to go back home to Waterlooville / Portsmouth, and had a Race all the way home.

But Dee, although what I would call a competent driver, never passed her test, so consequentially when I had my Heart Attack and was in Stoke the only Visitor I had was my friend Jeff / Binny. Although it was great to see him and have a chat, it's not the same as having the wife there. It was also Jeff that took me to Stoke a couple of weeks ago to see Prof Nolan and again collected me last Saturday night from Burton Hospital. I really do appreciate what he has done, so a public thank you Jeff.

Again as Andyram said the word TAXI often crops up, mainly in jest, but at times, it can be wearing and strain tempers etc.

All the best to Andy, he is a friend.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit overcast this morning but dry and brightness predicted for later. I still need someone to countersign my photograph for my ID photocard driving licence. As I understand it the same rules apply as a passport photograph plus the countersignee has to hold a similar licence. I did ask a fellow model railway club member who is a retired teacher but it turns out that he like me only possesses the old paper licence. Ironically he and myself are the only two members AFAIK who can countersign passport photographs (I'm an ex Local Government Officer). Thats it for now, be back later.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A recent trip out in to the front garden has revealed a slight drizzle to be falling which will hopefully cool things down although I doubt it will aid the nasty cold Mrs Stationmaster developed yesterday.  Mrs Stationmaster doesn't drive but the two offspring do and in times past when I couldn't drive for medical reasons we had a number of helpful folk who stepped in includinga former boss who had a rather poor reputation but was actually really caring person underneath his exterior bluster - only goes to prove that books should not necessarily be judged by their cover.

Great to see that Ian (RH) has risked the awl by displaying his workmanship on the stuff he bought a little while back at the show in Didcot. (yes - Didcot, the Civic Hall is actually a pretty good venue for m*d*l r*ilw*y shows although not exactly huge).  And I'm sure that like any commuter into London who faces an add-on to his train journey Ian will be glad to see the back of it although the same might not be said about the income of course.

Next door has the hedge trimmers in and I have warned her about one bird's nest and am hoping they don't disturb any others, including the Coal Tits in our nest box who are now feeding their offspring.

Have a good day one and all.

• Like 19

Morning all

Overcast here. But our May was the best weatherwise in Edinburgh for many years.

Tidying up yesterday, discovered that our John Lewis fridge has packed-up - luckily it's only a back-up - well, with 5 adults (3 going-on teenagers) here we need all we can get. Anyway, have decided we don't want to replace it, so took it to the local council tip who took it no worries.

Very best wishes to Andyram and trust that things with Sarah are resolving; there's a piece about depression in today's Guardian here: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/jun/04/what-is-depression-and-why-is-it-rising

Down to pick some rhubard shortly.

Hope you all have a good day

Mal

• Like 17

Mal, thank you for linking to the Guardian piece.  Clearly I am no expert, just a spasmodic sufferer, but much of what the piece says makes sense.  There is an element of heredity as I recall my late father mentioning the black dog from time to time and his death from lung cancer was one of the triggers for mine back in 2005.  It is food for thought, but not for brooding.

Chris

Morning all !

Today's bad news is that a 30 year old man was attacked by six youths early yesterday in Mablethorpe.....

In Mablethorpe ? The last resort ?

Today's good news is that SWMBO has two dates for the hospital; first for the electronic wizardry that is the 'Clinical Measurement Dept' and the second an MRI scan to see what is causing the tendinitis in arms and shoulders. Still eleven days to wait but something to look forward to !

Please do all you can to avoid getting old  :jester:   

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone

Over the last few years I’ve made a few changes to the front garden. I’ve added a couple of borders and this has resulted in having to remove a few paving blocks to make the borders. So I now have a few spare paving blocks, what to do with them? They were initially stored behind the shed, but as I now have the water butt there, I had to find another home for them. So, taking some inspiration from Carl André I’ve created an art work and I’ve called it..........................

Another load of B’locks!

post-27337-0-41661800-1528110382_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Good afternoon everyone

Over the last few years I’ve made a few changes to the front garden. I’ve added a couple of borders and this has resulted in having to remove a few paving blocks to make the borders. So I now have a few spare paving blocks, what to do with them? They were initially stored behind the shed, but as I now have the water butt there, I had to find another home for them. So, taking some inspiration from Carl André I’ve created an art work and I’ve called it..........................

Another load of B’locks!

attachicon.gif097A90BC-1447-4736-841B-EFCBF6E0A373.jpeg

The Tate Modern called. Thank's but we already have one just like it.  :jester:

• Like 1

Greetings all, another grey day at LBG (and it's not just the gloom through the HR office). School has restarted and Elder Lurker resumes GCSEs. It was History this morning, one of the subjects he wants to do to A level. It's strange that half of the history he has studied would have been considered current affairs when I was his age....

• Like 12

Survived Deanery Synod.  I've been elected to Diocesan Synod for yet another triennial.

Thinking back to my Mum's comments when serving on those august bodies some 30 years ago, I probably should have rated your post "sympathetic"!

• Like 12

I might have to buy another bottle of Dexron III; that would be the fourth. It's a wonder I haven't started drinking the stuff myself......

Would excessive consumption not be indicative of a leak?

Just returned from the vet having had to make THAT decision with Sandy, our oldest dog. The time we were dreading has come.

Aged sixteen and a half, blind, deaf, had a stroke a couple of years ago, vestibular disease, living on borrowed time since. She was treated by our vet Linda, who has really cared for her over the past thirteen years since we adopted her from The Dogs Trust in 2005. Sandy was by my side all through my cancer treatment and has been a faithful friend to us both. She accepted other dogs being round her and now her kennel mate of the past eleven years, Kerry, will be missing her.

And yes, we’re going to adopt another rescue.

Run free, Sandy. (19 January 2002 – 4 June 2018)

post-5402-0-57480800-1528114047_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Sympathy to you John.  It must have been a real wrench.

Here, the first run to deliver the tables and to the with a load of bags of all sorts.   Then I picked up the spare metal from the garage floor and was amazed when I got a whole £19 for it all at the scrappers.  That's £34 in total from the garage scrap.  Then to the charity shop, where else would I take a framed set of three photos of John and Charles Wesley and their mother.  Now it's time to load the car again, do another tip run and pick the trailer up.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Today's bad news is that a 30 year old man was attacked by six youths early yesterday in Mablethorpe.....

In Mablethorpe ? The last resort ?

As my son lives there, I thought I should check the news report. Those arrested come from Sutton on Sea of all places - at least Mablethorpe has proper traffic lights for entertainment - at Sutton they are pedestrian controlled and there aren't many of them about (pedestrians that is) . . . 

News report here   https://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2018/06/alleged-gang-attack-leaves-man-with-serious-head-injury/