The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a somewhat cooler Charente.   Many boxes of books were emptied yesterday and their contents shelved in some sort of order, partly by size.  The shelf of reference books for modelling is nearly full.   I still can't find a box/crate/tray with a kit for a 2P in it though.    It will turn up somewhere.    As previously reported the car sort of passed it's CT so I can still use it.

This morning the ironing awaits then some strimming as a friend has got the strimmer working for me.   Apart from that not a lot is on the agenda, I may even try and pick up a soldering iron later.

Regards to all.

Jamie

PS, I remember seeing Clunk Castle heading through Settle in, I think, late 67.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Yet another hot and sunny day here. Shouldn't complain but these days it is a bit too hot for me.

Yesterday's shopping trip took longer than planned as I decided to visit a bank first and the diversion took about 35 minutes to travel a mile. Then Sainsbury's was a pain as due to their cost cutting staff reduction exercise there weren't many checkouts open. Also noticed that shelves that are normally brimming were half empty. They are going downhill which is a shame. We'll continue shopping there though as The Boss still gets her discount.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edit to add Just upset The Boss who wants us to go shopping in the local High Street. I have exercised my veto!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs / Jeremy Irons.

A quiet day planned; work has reached an end-of-week slump. I have livened things up in the office by discovering just how crucial it is, when you type 'Hornby Gay Crusader' into the search bar, to remember to incorporate the 'b'...

Kindly regards flung violently at all potential recipients, willing or no;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  14c first thing, felt feezing! 21 now a bit better.

Off to the OF's bike club this morning, and after Mrs NHN's work we'll be out in the kayak as the wind has died right down.  It blew up to about a 6 yesterday, ruining our plans to go for a paddle.

• Like 19

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings from the boring borough. Yesterday saw the completion of another solar orbit for me. It was a bit of an un-day. Chauffeured the ladies to Ikea and Home Sense in Thurrock. Pub lunch. The rest of the day spent doing very little apart from managing a migraine. 

If parcelfarce don't c0ck it up, I should have a couple of new locos arriving today. £112 in vat and customs charges. Throw in the $70 shipping and I'm going to have to really look at just how stupid expensive ordering from Canada/US has become. I've got 3 more on pre-order due in the next 6 months. Likely the last. 

Still no builder. He has cried off sick until next Tuesday. I'm becoming more convinced the he is doing another job. The plasterers are here finishing off the hallway today. That means a hell of a lot of painting to be done next week. 

Little planned for the day. May wander to the pub. Another day out tomorrow with the ladies, and MiL heads home on Sunday. 

Enjoy the day. 

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The sun is shining and we will be off to the Trafford Centre shortly to get a few bits and pieces. Later today we will be visited by Vickie. Ian and Charlie, who’s 18 today, then later Ian will pick up Ava, Evie and Max and bring them too, so it will be a bit mad later.

Andrew. Happy birthday.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

PS, I remember seeing Clunk Castle heading through Settle in, I think, late 67.

I drove Clun Castle at a Tyseley driver experience day sometime early 90s.

At least I thought it was CC, but G*R engines all look the same to me...……….

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Belated greetings to all !

Have finished steam cleaning the kitchen floor - my task while SWMBO is having her hair done and then shopping at Asda.

Passed my annual diabetes (Type 2) review with a lower weight than last year. Even had my height measured by the lovely Denise who is all of 5 foot tall!  Since I am 6' 2" in old money, it's quite a stretch for her. Then she measured my 'actual' waistline and joked that she gets to cuddle the patient...... :) In a world full of political correctness, I can take that anytime.

Back to Darling Daughter's place this afternoon to dispose of some of the old decking as the new decking/new shed keeps me occupied for some weeks to come.

Best wishes to all, fit or ailing, young or old  :jester:

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I drove Clun Castle at a Tyseley driver experience day sometime early 90s.

At least I thought it was CC, but G*R engines all look the same to me...……….

Cheers,

Mick

:punish: You clearly need to get yourself down to Specsavers mind you saying that all those yellow thing you have look the same.  :sarcastic: 

Morning Peeps 

Nothing planned today I have taken a new pill so that will closely monitored by SWMBO so I better busy myself, there should be a 

GWR locomotive that will need my attention in the post today maybe some scenic work on the layout if the garage is not too hot.

I had a coffee free breakfast earlier and I'm yawning my head off I'd better get in the shower. :boredom:

enjoy your day  I.M. Crackered

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Greetings from the boring borough. Yesterday saw the completion of another solar orbit for me. It was a bit of an un-day. Chauffeured the ladies to Ikea and Home Sense in Thurrock. Pub lunch. The rest of the day spent doing very little apart from managing a migraine. 

Enjoy the day. 

Happy belated birthday Andrew.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Things are going to be a bit hectic after lunch as setting up the exhibition commences late this afternoon and goes on into the evening. Most of my stuff is a case of wheeling it in and putting it on the table which won't be done until the morning though it will be delivered tonight. Must get on now, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Then Sainsbury's was a pain as due to their cost cutting staff reduction exercise there weren't many checkouts open. Also noticed that shelves that are normally brimming were half empty. They are going downhill which is a shame. We'll continue shopping there though as The Boss still gets her discount.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edit to add Just upset The Boss who wants us to go shopping in the local High Street. I have exercised my veto!

Agree with you completely about what is happening at Sainsburys, the out-of-town store at Folkestone is just the same. Apart from half-empty shelves some items have disappeared of the shelves completely whereas some items still have labels on the shelves but not been in stock for up to three weeks..... and these are all Sainsbury-branded products!

Speaking with one of the check-out staff couple of day ago she said they laid off 17 supervisory staff recently and will be closing the Customer Service Department in August. Understand this has happened at other Sainsburys and told that where this has happened and your need assistance to have to go to a dedicated check-out and wait...…

Shame to see Sainsburys going downhill so quickly. My brother who lives in Lincoln close to a big ASDA says its just the same there..... 

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Many Happy Returns for yesterday to Andrew and the same today for Pete and tomorrow for Phil. 

I'm a few months behind and don't reach the big 70 until December. I was actually due on the same day (Nov 14th) as Prince Charles. Apparently all families who had offspring that day received a hamper. Mum never forgave me for being late!  :no:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Belated greetings to all !

Have finished steam cleaning the kitchen floor - my task while SWMBO is having her hair done and then shopping at Asda.

Passed my annual diabetes (Type 2) review with a lower weight than last year. Even had my height measured by the lovely Denise who is all of 5 foot tall!  Since I am 6' 2" in old money, it's quite a stretch for her. Then she measured my 'actual' waistline and joked that she gets to cuddle the patient...... :) In a world full of political correctness, I can take that anytime.

Back to Darling Daughter's place this afternoon to dispose of some of the old decking as the new decking/new shed keeps me occupied for some weeks to come.

Best wishes to all, fit or ailing, young or old  :jester:

I'm Jealous, I've never had a Cuddle at the doctors, come to that they've never measured my waistline. My MOT for type 2 is Monday, I doubt I will have achieved lightness, but I suspect I will be shorter Which will lead to claims my weight  against height is even worse...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Happy birthday to Pete & Phil. Must be the winters but I’ve got / had relatives all with birthdays in early July. In fact there is one for every day from the first to the 10th.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Birthday greetings to Andrew (belated), Pete (current) and Phil (in advance); does one a day early balance the one a day late I wonder?

Just to kep Mick inline I had in fact been driving 7029 earlier that morning because numerous things were getting delayed so I moved it round Gloucester shed yard to save the BR crew a walk - we were right time off shed.

Now to the not so super markets.  The impact of Waitrose's distribution network cost cutting has been evident in our neck of the woods almost since the day they made the cuts and it shows in empty shelves and short dated items especially on the meat shelves.  In addition they are widening the spread of their 'Essentials' range means some quality is going downhill - the latest victim being the pre-packed kippers which are now lower in quality than those from Tesco but cost more.   Our local Tesco isn't too bad but it can be a nuisance because they cut out the night shift shelf stacking which means they now do more during the day plus they've reduced the shelf space to provide a bay in each aisle to stand a stillage when it's used for resupply plus you trip over the shelf-stackers or find items where stock has run out on the shelves.  I don't know about Sainsburys as we rarely visit our Sainsburys Local and don't go to the Savacentre at all since Tesco and Waitrose restarted stocking certain things they had discontinued for some reason.  Alas the spectre of Aldi and Lidl seems to be doing an awful lot to destroy the quality and service we once found in some of our supermarkets.

I might pay a visit to my 'local' model shop today - it's only about an hour's drive away and a new toy is awaiting collection plus there area couple of mags I want (so I can finally see Chris F' caption efforts) but it all depends on what the management needs doing as well I suppose.

Have a good day one and all and hopefully the heat won't cause any problems for anybody 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday Pete and Happy Birthday for yesterday Andrew. For,some reason this iPad changed birthday to birthsyn which I didn’t think was even a proper word.

Warm and cloudy here.

The postman handed over a parcel to Aditi this morning announcing that we had a train! I had to unpack it so she could see it.

Aditi went for a swim last night. The pool is not busy at 9.30 it would seem.

I received a cheque this morning for the refund on the tax for the Freelander. I will have to pay it in at the post office as our local bank has closed. The post office here is quite busy nowadays!

I am not sure which day I will go see the Basildon exhibition. We are not going to see MiL this weekend as we are going on Monday. Some relatives from India will be visiting. We will be having pizza for lunch. Aditi’s sister sent a photo of an aubergine pizza to ask if I would eat it.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Happy birthdays to all those who have one hereabouts.

Now some folk are designed for shorts and some are not.  I am not happy wearing them because there are blemishes on my legs which are souvenirs of cellulitis. 

I have occasional bits of leg showing through various marks, scars and veins. I used to think it not fair to inflict these on the world but nowadays shorts are the norm when they are cooler. I always find them more comfortable. The masses can always avert their eyes if ever they felt inclined to look in the first place.

• Like 13

Evening all,

Much of today has been spent investigating a problem with the washing machine. At the end of a cycle this morning, it didn’t empty out. I drained it down manually then tried a rinse cycle, only for the same problem. All hoses checked and found OK, with no obstructions or anything in the filter. I then unplugged the wires to the drain pump and checked it’s resistance, which seemed about right at 220ohms. The voltage to it was another matter, as it varied between 80 & 150 volts during a spin cycle. From this, I think that the main PCB has a fault. As one of these costs around £100,it isn’t worth bothering for a machine which I think only cost £170 when we bought it 11 years ago. Hence we are now looking for a new one, which will probably be a Zanussi, following a look at the Which best buys.

Tomorrow we expect United Utilities to return for their 3rd visit to try to find and sort our water leak. Third time lucky?

Simon -FWIW  SWMBO highly recommends the one we bought about 9 months ago - an Indesit BWD71453 - very pleased indeed - search around for prices

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Depressing how many of us are washing machine experts - IMO Bosch is the one to get……!!

HB to those having one today, yesterday and tomorrow.....must have been a bad autumn.

Back from the Old Farts Bike Club where rules are banned, therefore we all get on well.  We talked rubbish as usual, so all is well. It's clouded over a bit, but is foreguessed to be sunny later.  First clouds for a month!

OK, have to go fix a rattly drawer in the campervan now, they do get shaken about a lot on the bumpy roads here, and it is seven years old now so is beginning to show a few signs of use and wear. 

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I've been playing  with card board cutouts of the below waterline area of my sailing boat under reconstruction.Trouble with that is you find the CLR (Centre of Lateral Resistance). Then find it's not where you want it. Make another cut out with the keel moved and try balancing it on a knife edge again.. There are lots of little bits of card board in the rubbish bin..

Anyway I've got there now, it shows why the boat wouldn't tack well when I first built it in Saudi. At that time Had I had time to develop the boat, I would have had to lean the gaff back further, as the centreboard was too far aft. Well I needed it to come up between me and the crew not up the crews A**s. However now the boat is  having a fixed keel and I've been given a aluminum Mast. I have to redesign the layout, the Keel will be about 2 foot forward of the old centre board position.

Meanwhile I've just had a discussion with a fisherman(online) about fishing and rods being in the way of sailing(and motorboats) his reply roughly was that he had never heard of such a rule in 30 year of coming to the broads and reading hire boat manuals...

I replied with the link to the Broads regulations and bylaws, pointing to regulations 29 and 65... I guess he's probably a cockwomble who drives on the roads having only read the manual supplied with the car..

45 minutes to go, a trip to the Orange shed is required for a repair connector for the garden hose, then Tesses company for milk for the weavers visit tomorrow..They can really put away tea...

4 resistance measurements to go then I do too..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I failed at paying in my cheque at the post office. They can only do it if accompanied by a paying in slip. I don’t carry such things with me so drove to another part of Benfleet and found a bank where I could pay it in.

Fortunately we now have a washing machine that doesn’t require expertise. Our first one back in the 1970s lasted quite well but it had about 3 main bearing replacements and a couple of motors . Also a lot of rotary programmer knobs. Aditi used to break them. The one we have now has a 10 year parts and labour warranty. It seems quite robust.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17