The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all

This heat is ridiculous.  It has made me feel rough all week and the electric fan in my bedroom has been on for much of the night.  I can understand feeling like death warmed up on Monday, for the drive back from Fleetwood on Sunday took more out of me mentally and physically than I realised at the time.  When it had not cleared up by Thursday it was beginning to worry me.  With wisdom beyond his years my e-friend Harry put it succinctly: rest lots.  Good advice!  Yesterday I dragged myself into town to tax the car.  Don’t tell Sister Diabetes but I took the bus each way. 

Today I feel a lot better and should be able to drive to and from Princes Risborough to see Aylesbury old and new.  Had I decided instead to go to London for a certain high-profile event I’m not at all sure that I would have been able to cope.

Warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Simon, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

Good morning one and all

This heat is ridiculous.  It has made me feel rough all week and the electric fan in my bedroom has been on for much of the night.  I can understand feeling like death warmed up on Monday, for the drive back from Fleetwood on Sunday took more out of me mentally and physically than I realised at the time.  When it had not cleared up by Thursday it was beginning to worry me.  With wisdom beyond his years my e-friend Harry put it succinctly: rest lots.  Good advice!  Yesterday I dragged myself into town to tax the car.  Don’t tell Sister Diabetes but I took the bus each way. 

Today I feel a lot better and should be able to drive to and from Princes Risborough to see Aylesbury old and new.  Had I decided instead to go to London for a certain high-profile event I’m not at all sure that I would have been able to cope.

Warm thoughts to Andyram, Debs, Andy P, Simon, Robert and his dad, Tony and Aditi, Mal and all others in distress.

Chris

Take pride in those thoughts!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl inner temple here.

A very poor night's sleep, less than an hours sleep on, not in, the bed, it was just too hot. That and my brain refusing to shut up...Since then maybe four hours on the sofa so far.

Ben the Border Collie is flaked out on the floor. This is partly because he's because he's back on full long walks as his bandage is off. This has coincided with the farmer mowing part of the route which had become overgrown, down by the marshes the track was three to four feet deep in grass.

The TV is wittering on about something on in Russia, Wimbledon or Chequers the first two I have no interest in, the third we can do nothing about and like all things political we won't know what really happened until papers are released in thirty years time..

Plans for today,

More sleep

Breakfast.

Turn on the a/c in the mobile home to pre cool to 21C before the weavers turn up.

Mow grass,

repair garden hose

Dismantle old control panel.

Continue rebuilding boat.

Excuse me while I roll over and snoore

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Cooler here over night. Woke up a couple of times feeling chilly.

Road sweeper went past at 6:30 this morning..first time for about a year but why 6:30 on a Saturday morning?

Plenty of time for my mugatea this morning. Local game, need to be at the ground for 11:30ish for a 1pm start. Have a great day everyone. Hope Debs is behaving herself in hospital

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Skimmed through the last few days - seems hot weather is the main topic and also something I believe is called Association Football. Did not know that DBS can be renewed on-line (thanks Baz),  Sympathsise with Bill re clear-up after a big duty, belated happy birthday to Andrew, hope ChrisF gets through his weekend without too much weariness, glad to see Andyram's black dog is currently confined to kennel and hope it stays there - definitely looks like he made the right choice to 'leave' with Sarah agreeing with him.  Jamie seems to be well settled and enjoying life.

Hope Debs is on recovery and that the other black dogs are kennelled.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning Peeps 

Up early I'm off to the Beaconsfield show with a couple of old show buddies they limit show going as they are 

getting old I'm suprised they are out today with this heat still the aircon' works well in the 2 vehicles I/we will be

travelling in today.

The new drug seems to be working OK so far BP has dropped and I don't feel like carp.

I'm just finishing off a shopping list then I will hit the road .

enjoy your day S.Moulderin

Edited by 81C
  • Like 16

Morning to all !

Another two very warm days in prospect. Mustn't grumble !  Darling Daughter requires taxiing to the hairdressers today so up and out very soon.

Someone mentioned the Eric Clapton programme which I also recorded - along with many, many others - so after the footy, I might get around to watching it and that Rich Hall prog. 

Must also balance screen time with reading the paper - it eases the eyestrain or so they say  :jester:

Bye for now

• Like 18

Good morning one and all

Chris

Chris, I'm finding, in this hot weather I now need far more rest than I did before my Heart Attack, I feel totally exhausted most of the day, and if I pick up a book, I'm asleep in no time. As we get older, we can't do half the things our brain thought we could do. we are no longer 21, when I would spend all day in the Sun, working in just a pair of Shorts and think nothing of it. 

Take heed of what your body is telling you, stay cool, drink water and rest mate.

• Like 5

Yippee!

MrsID is now a perfessional artiste! She has flogged two of her paintings.

But I jest. Actually she is very good but the market for fine-art is pretty much saturated. She's not doing it for the money at all but it's always nice to get a bit of recognition.

and a letter from the IRS?

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Second attempt. Broadband went down briefly at 9am.

It was rather warm last night.

Happy birthday Phil. Hope the school hall isn’t too hot today.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and a very happy birthday to Phil.

Still flippin' hot here and it was probably the most uncomfortable night I've had so far. Wasn't helped by some neighbours up the road having a very late party and their guests making a hell of racket when they started leaving at 3.30am.

I had a message on Thursday that modelling tokens are required to pay for the balance of my order with those nice people at Shildon for the Stirling Single as it is almost here. That will deplete the funds a bit.

Today will be another lazy one but I will (start to) watch the football. Not sure how long my attention will last although son Steve is coming round to watch it as well. Very happy to see that the most expensive footballer cheat and his team were beaten yesterday.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17

Up early this morning, so made use of it and made some blackcurrant jam with fruit picked yesterday. Then went outside and started some hedge trimming. This will continue for a good part of the day!

A new washing machine has been ordered, a Beko one which was on sale in Currys, but is not available for a week. We will have to do some hand washing for a change, but while the weather is so good, we are wearing fewer clothes so there is less to wash. I have hardly worn any socks now for about two weeks, as I tend to wear flip-flops around the house and sandals outside.

• Like 19

Morning all from a sunny part of France.   Yesterday we managed to get quite  a lot done including the strimming.   Beth got a lot of odds and ends done s today has been declared a day for doing nothing.  The main thing is that this morning I have to visit the local town (3 miles) to buy some bread, as the village bread machine is not in use this week because of holidays at the suppliers.   This means that I will have the awful task of talking to a delightful young blonde lady while selecting what pastries to buy with the bread.   It's a hard job but someone's got t do it.  Hopefully I will then repair to the shed and do some wiring work while Beth sunbathes.   After watching some footy we are off out for  a meal with some French Friends...

How do the French fancy their chances against Belgium? Hopefully it won't turn into Rien à déclarer....!

Skimmed through the last few days - seems hot weather is the main topic and also something I believe is called Association Football. ...

I'll probably be missing the afternoon match, as I'm hoping to drive to Cambridge and back whilst there's no traffic because everyone is glued to the telly.

In Cambridge, I'll be collecting this....

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' awl and Happy Birthday to Phil.

Went for a meal last night at our local; it's a Hungry Horse chain pub but only a short walk away and the food is ok. A few pints accompanied the meal and then I vegged out in front of the TV for The Yorkshire Vet. Mrs mole was using the PC so I went and laid down in front of a fan for a while before returning to my selling. Surprisingly some old magazines that had attracted no interest for weeks suddenly had a buyer. I had more that I was contemplating binning but he's expressed interest in those as well, which is nice. 

I'll be shopping while the match is on; hopefully I can get a beer afterwards, somewhere without a TV that won't be full of happy/angry fans; possibly a micropub that's not too out of my way.

Time to list some old mags.

Good vibes to all,

Pete

• Like 16

A Local Action Fraud alert warns me today about Fake Argos credit card 'refund' texts. 

For some reason this reminded me of the perfectly legal scams such as those offered by my Electricity Company, Skittish Poor. They constantly ask me if I want to change tariff; strangely the new tariffs offered expire during 2019 whereas my existing contract is all the way to April 2020 !!

So presumably by 2020, the cost of electricity will have increased considerably. Wonderful world isn't it ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

The sun is shining so I’m off outside to get a little bit of gardening done. Then after dinner we’re off to Waitrose to get a few bits and pieces we can’t pick locally, hopefully it will be quite then.

Phil. Happy birthday

Back later

• Like 14

I'm just after walking to the local DIY/hardware shop and back. Even that short walk has led to a deluge of sweat. In other words, it's not even midday and the sun is already burning. Still, having said that, think how much worse it is for those in even hotter regions. The Middle East, for instance... how in the name of all that's holy do people cope with temperatures of 40+ Celsius!!???  :O

On the ex-council estate behind here, there seem to be relatively few England flags on the balconies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Happy birthday Phil (on the proper day this time).  Interesting to hear about Chris F's excursion to the town frequently misnamed as Princess Risborough - I hope Chris set off early as it's a b*gger getting a space in the car park at the best of times unless you are early and the festival will no doubt make it worse, but at least an early arrival gives the opportunity to obtain a fairly good breakfast in one of the local catering establishment.

I didn't venture to Alton yesterday as I really didn't fancy the drive in this weather, definitely knocks it out of us more mature(d) folk and too successive hot nights have not helped either.  we duly dined out yesterday evening at the Plowden Arms which was again fairly quiet.  I suspect the restaurant doesn't get too busy because the food take quite a while to arrive but that also means it is beautifully freshly cooked - I had duck egg based Scotch Egg as my starter last night and it was the best I have ever tasted, absolutely super job, followed by cod & chips.

A local free rag, of a very glossy kind, is offering appalling temptation in the shape of a 1960s 31 foot cabin cruiser at what amounts to a knockdown price.  Hardly a like-for-like swap for Patricia but it would still get us on the water.  But buying it is one thing, affording to run it is something else entirely (and might well be why it is up for sale as it looks to be in very good condition for the price?).  And Mrs Stationmaster is far from keen - her arthritic knees are definitely not suitable for lock-jumping with a mooring line nowadays - plus the price of keeping two thirsty Perkins diesels running might not make use entirely free from cost concerns.

Havea good day everybody and don't let the sun take its toll if you can avoid it

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm just after walking to the local DIY/hardware shop and back. Even that short walk has led to a deluge of sweat. In other words, it's not even midday and the sun is already burning. Still, having said that, think how much worse it is for those in even hotter regions. The Middle East, for instance... how in the name of all that's holy do people cope with temperatures of 40+ Celsius!!???  :O

On the ex-council estate behind here, there seem to be relatively few England flags on the balconies.

I found 40C * (and a bit higher) reasonably tolerable when I was working in Aus, Probably because I was in Sydney and despite the humidity there always seemed to be some cool air around off the sea etc - definitely so on the seaborne commute across Port Jackson everyday.  Mind you it was definitely a very sapping heat up in QLD over 50 miles from the sea!

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Cheers, peeps. :bye:

Finally a weekend off following a semana de scorchio. A bit breezy outside, which is nice for a change, too.

Am now type rated on the NGT10 as well following a training shift in revenue service. No major problems there, though with the older software, 1008 in particular felt somewhat more flaky, while 1009 was okay. I'm told 1012 is expected to be certified for service next week and that the new, stable software installed on it (as well as 1001) should be distributed to the other units as well.

Now off to the garden for an hour or so. I hope to be able to look in a bit more frequently than the past couple of days!

Later…

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 19