The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning to all !

Today's advice from the Twatter Processors is to 'check your property regularly for leaks in your internal plumbing'......??

No, I don't know either !

Sad to learn that my team's ultimate utility player has died of the age of 73. Paul Madeley could, and did, play in any outfield position for the lads from Elland Road. 

Rumours of the closure of RAF Scampton, home of the Red Arrows, and part of the Dambusters story make the local news.

Warm, dry and sunny today...no change there then !

Edit: Just learned that we have a shortage of grass for silage apparently...perhaps once the roadside verges have reached 6 feet high, we might allow tractors in to cut them, then ?

Edited by RhBBob
  • Like 19

Today is Dayle's birthday. I managed to foul up by not having a card. Rectified soon, but I don't think I'm forgiven yet. Had a nice rural drive to lunch. First plce didn't take plastic and we were low on paper -- the atm they sent me to declined my Canadian card. Found a place that would take credit, but spent more than expected.

Question. My father used to sing a song fragment to Greensleeves

"...something and Sir Lancelot.

He's hot in his armour and so he sweats

And that is the reason he pants a lot."

Familiar to anyone? Any more to it?

There is a song in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, at the start of the Sir Lancelot story and IIRC Greensleeves is played. Not sure if the song and music go together though.
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Late on parade as I’ve already been out and done the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. All the shopping has now been packed away and my next task will be to put the kettle on (it won’t suit me!) and make myself a muggertea. We are on the school run today as Ian was over in Stoke at his mums, helping her sort out funeral arrangements for his grandad, who died last night. He’s hoping to be back in time to pick them up, but we’ve been asked just in case he’s not back in time!

Ar, kettle’s boiled, time for tea.

Back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Looks like another scorcher today and the prediction is that tomorrow will be even hotter than yesterday, PHEW! Fortunately the front of the house is always cool as it faces almost due north. Normally the flat roof at the front of the house which is fibreglass is covered by algae, this has disappeared entirely. Rick, sorry about missing this but I hope your toe gets better soon. My car is fitted with a towbar but I have only used it on a few occasions, not that my car is suitable for towing anything but a small trailer anyway. Got to go now, be back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

A lousy night’s sleep caused by the high ambient temperature and having slept half the afternoon folllowing my self-medication gave rise to a thumping head to accompany the throbbing toe. Those were enough to convince me it would be wise to stay home.

Another dose of medication and a large muggertee had me feeling much better by 9 o’clock than I had been at 5. And as it turned out being home has proven beneficial. I was able to receive a parcel from Camborne instead of having to await redelivery on Saturday and the oven repair man, whose appointment was at 4pm, turned up at 11am which is somewhat before I would have arrived home.

Not that the oven has been fixed, mind, as the part required is of couse no longer made. The upshot is we get a whole new oven at the landlord’s expense but we have to await paperwork being signed off. Luckily it’s warm and we can manage without the oven for the time being.

Should anyone be planning to travel with my employer on Thursday might I suggest that be deferred if possible? The gentlemen of the RMT have instructed their guards to not work which will severely reduce the service offered. As the weather is forecast to be a hot, sunny 33C that will make for some pretty unpleasant conditions aboard those trains which do run. And any heat-related problems such as speed restrictions or lineside fires will have a greater impact than might otherwise be the case. If you must travel then carry water and wear something which smells better than essence d’armpit!

Thanks for the support. Mind the sun. Avagoodun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning to all !

Today's advice from the Twatter Processors is to 'check your property regularly for leaks in your internal plumbing'......??

No, I don't know either !

Sad to learn that my team's ultimate utility player has died of the age of 73. Paul Madeley could, and did, play in any outfield position for the lads from Elland Road. 

Rumours of the closure of RAF Scampton, home of the Red Arrows, and part of the Dambusters story make the local news.

Warm, dry and sunny today...no change there then !

Edit: Just learned that we have a shortage of grass for silage apparently...perhaps once the roadside verges have reached 6 feet high, we might allow tractors in to cut them, then ?

Scampton has been mostly abandoned for years, The've spent millions on Moving some unit's in, only to move them out again. The Red arrows are only there because their training routines get in the way of other unit's flying. They moved the Red arrows out before..

There only about 600 working there now anyway..

• RMweb Gold

Scampton has been mostly abandoned for years, The've spent millions on Moving some unit's in, only to move them out again. The Red arrows are only there because their training routines get in the way of other unit's flying. They moved the Red arrows out before..

There only about 600 working there now anyway..

If Scampton closes it will be interesting to see if the local authority try to claim back the original route of the  A15, which had to be diverted when the V bomber runway extension was built and the road had to be bent around the end of it.

During my time at Kirton in Lindsey, we used to get quite a few practice displays by the Red Arrows over our airfield.

Although a Battle of Britain airfield,  Kirton had it's real claim to fame standing in for Scampton for the film The Dambusters............. As the main runway at Scampton was undergoing the extension mentioned earlier.

Kirton also had grass runways as did Scampton in 1943. (The reason 617 Sqn  later moved to Woodhall Spa was the installation of hard runways at Scampton).

Too much useless information!

• Like 8

... I'll have to buy one of those useless desktop fans at lunchtime....

Apparently there's been a run on electric fans in Ealing, and there are no mains-powered ones to be had for love nor money. All that was available was one of those mini-fans powered by USB for six quid.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

A reasonable vist ton the chiropractor this morn ing again led to him trying to pull my head off but as he pointed out at least I wouldn't be bothered about paying if he'd succeeded.  Hence him taking care not to effect total removal and achieving what feels like an overall improvement although still a way to go.  But it really was far too hot to walk down to teh town and even more so to walk back up the hill, and that was after I had treated my hat to a second good dousing in cold water before Ii left the chiropractor's establlshment - accordingly the Tesco visit was made by car.

i need hardly report that today feels even hotter than yesterday and that the sunshine generated electricity from the roof is being consumed by fans as it is being made.  I see we are scheduled a slight temperature drop on Sunday so RMweb day at Didcot will hopefully benefit a little and then the temperature drops a bit in the early part of next week - just as we lay a course for Harwich and what will probably be a week tootling around the Thames Estuary

Meanwhile its more like sit, sleep and melt.  Do your best to keep cool folk and enjoy the rest of the day.

• Like 15

:jester: Chewsday

Sorry to hear all the problems the heat is causing back there in the UK - whilst the temperatures and also relative humidity being posted are not unusual for this part of the US, the fact that at least around 90% of the homes here have central air conditioning makes for it being far more bearable of course...

Nothing to report from yesterday, today will likely be the same.

There was/is one challenge on the books, as we've grown as a company we're now on a lot more "radar" of business compliance government agencies.

To that end we have to take a variety of courses, non-optional, and my sorry lot is to take a "Workplace Harassment Prevention" course. I'm OK with the need for such things, BUT, I already took one last December, however, the pay increase (quite small as all are over here now) I got at the turn of the year apparently placed me in a NEW category of employee according to one of said agencies. Net result is I have to take the next "level" of Workplace Harassment Prevention course, go figure!

I was ignoring numerous email the prompts to take it as I knew I'd already taken it in December, then yesterday finally pointed that out, when the revelation came back from HR - who were just as confused as me - that indeed it was a new/different one I was being HARASSED to take! :O  Wonder if that's covered in the course ;)

Enough, enough they cried!

18 and sunny here this morning, humidity so far in the moderate/bearable level, will reach about 30 later if the twirlers are to be believed - usually are when it comes to highs in summer!

Stay cool over there.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18

Meanwhile, as an Estate goes off to Probate, hopefully there'll be no more unpleasant surprises with that one.

The next Estate contains a grandfather clock and a skeleton in the cupboard. It also involves a missing document, which surprises me as the deceased was superbly organised and quite high-powered before his retirement. Fortunately I have keys to his home, so I can ransack the place pick through his filing cabinets and drawers to see if it's been misfiled.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

A reasonable vist ton the chiropractor this morn ing again led to him trying to pull my head off but as he pointed out at least I wouldn't be bothered about paying if he'd succeeded.  Hence him taking care not to effect total removal and achieving what feels like an overall improvement although still a way to go.  But it really was far too hot to walk down to teh town and even more so to walk back up the hill, and that was after I had treated my hat to a second good dousing in cold water before Ii left the chiropractor's establlshment - accordingly the Tesco visit was made by car.

i need hardly report that today feels even hotter than yesterday and that the sunshine generated electricity from the roof is being consumed by fans as it is being made.  I see we are scheduled a slight temperature drop on Sunday so RMweb day at Didcot will hopefully benefit a little and then the temperature drops a bit in the early part of next week - just as we lay a course for Harwich and what will probably be a week tootling around the Thames Estuary

Meanwhile its more like sit, sleep and melt.  Do your best to keep cool folk and enjoy the rest of the day.

I did wonder about Didcot on Sunday perish the thought of the sight of us walking round the museum in our beachwear and  :secret_mini:  I do hope GDB

covers his head we don't want the sun reflecting off his dome and blinding us.  :heat:

• RMweb Premium

Apparently there's been a run on electric fans in Ealing, and there are no mains-powered ones to be had for love nor money. All that was available was one of those mini-fans powered by USB for six quid.

You need one of these.

post-408-0-32195000-1532439774.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, as an Estate goes off to Probate, hopefully there'll be no more unpleasant surprises with that one.

The next Estate contains a grandfather clock and a skeleton in the cupboard.

Are you sure it's not a grandfather's skeleton and a clock in the cupboard?

I, on the other hand  have two skeleton pocket watches, and a number of skeletons in the garden............................. At Cemetery Corner, where the mortal remains of various family pets are interred.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

COCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLESCOCKWOMBLES

I'm off to get a cider out of the freezer compartment...