The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The early rain has cleared and sun is now bathing sunny Teignmouth.

The outcome of my wife having two appts at the surgery yesterday is that she will be referred to that dept at hospital for a spot of none shaving surgery. The NHS us gradually working around her body, right shoulder bone shave 11 years ago, right knee replacement 3 years ago, left knee replacement 2 years ago ...........

• Friendly/supportive 18

I went out for a long walk at 4am this morning as it is the solstice! Nice bright sunny morning in the North East and really invigorating start to the day. I suppose it's best to make the most of the long days when we can! 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

I've been up early to catch up on yesterday I have about 2 day work to box up my stock Her has been and will be back Sunday to clean the house through for the estate agents photo shot 

She had a moan at me because the bank has put extra security for buying with the cards and could not buy some insurance for a new car, I left a pile of paper work including info about it on the table it's still there.

Any way must get on I can't believe I've been packing this layout up for a week now. 

Welland Truipisstoff

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Morning, bits of sun and white cloud, so hopefully will remain dry, garden and greenhouse attended to and SWMBO is off to the borders with the daughter for a spa day or two, so

1 must get anniversary card or my life will not be worth living

2 get a hair cut(I did go for 25 years without one and still haven't got the habit of going to a barbers shop)

3 spend the rest of the day in TOSH building new layout, track and droppers to assemble.....................

enjoy your day.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning and no sign of the (predicted) humidity. Tomato seeds do pass through humans and other animals unharmed, thats what they are designed to do. As a propagation strategy its perfect, the seeds are distributed over a wide area and with their own package of fertiliser. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning and no sign of the (predicted) humidity. Tomato seeds do pass through humans and other animals unharmed, thats what they are designed to do. As a propagation strategy its perfect, the seeds are distributed over a wide area and with their own package of fertiliser. Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

SWMBO has a worm composter for generating large amounts of "stuff" from the garden & kitchen waste. Despite the little red wiggler's best efforts, rogue pepper and tomato plants appear in the garden from unaltered seeds. Last autumn she had one of the best crops of accidental tomatoes in years. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a Sunny Surrey. Electrical installation to and in shed nearing completion. Hopefully later today I can watch TV or browse the web up there!

Speakers are already fitted ready to wire up to the old hifi system that's will be put in there tonight. 

Cladding continues whilst they work inside. The PIR light even has its own remote control - disco light effects are even possible but might annoy the neighbours in the adjacent flats:rolleyes:

• Like 13
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

SWMBO has a worm composter for generating large amounts of "stuff" from the garden & kitchen waste. Despite the little red wiggler's best efforts, rogue pepper and tomato plants appear in the garden from unaltered seeds. Last autumn she had one of the best crops of accidental tomatoes in years. 

We have an accidental wormery. It is supposed to be an ordinary composter but it is well populated with worms. This year the beans didn’t come up but the compost is growing well. Looks like cucumbers, or something similar. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,

The vacuum has been cleaned to the satisfaction of the management who was meanwhile moving on tomato plants to gro-bags and putting out the surplus for the delectation of passers-by, no doubt the usual folk will be along to select the ones they fancy and return the empty pots.  Incidentally herself's tomato plants normally grow up to the greenhouse ridge but are prevented from going any higher by the glazing.

Newspapers and sundry shopping duly acquired.  Meanwhile in overseas news the Good Doctor this morning completed the penultimate journey in her round (part of) eastern Europe tour this being the only leg by ship, from Piraeus to Rhodes - whence she returns to dear old blighty next week.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all.

• Like 16

Happy POETS!

AWOL for a couple of days due to no-internet-itis at the cabin combined with, surprise, surprise, a huge amount of requirements from the Long Island client, starting while I was taking time off! Never ceases to amaze me how poor at planning any of these folks are :rtfm:

Not much to report - lake cabin mosquitoes were horrendous, probably making up for a late start this season, arms covered in welts even after various and sundry precautions taken :(

Supposed to be a quiet weekend, so I can spend more time at the new house doing "stuff", who knows I may even fit in some trains/modeling - FAT CHANCE. :jester: I KNOW we'll end up with a busy weekend in spite of currently having a fairly empty calendar.

One bright spot will be the annual choir PARTY, Saturday evening, to celebrate whatever we managed to provide this past year :)

An anonymous donor (typically one of the well heeled parishioners) has once again footed the bill for the event - we just BYOB :drink_mini:

16 getting the newspaper (once AGAIN miles from the front door :butcher:) with light drizzle falling, expected to make 24 but rain most of the day.

Back to work - POE if you can, enjoy the start of the weekend...

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well not too bad a day, got my must do chores done, here's me going for brownie points and the delivery man has just delivered another flippin' handbag and no it's not for me, she must have nearly as many handbags as Imelda Marcos had and nearly as many as I have fishing rods lol.(I can feel some serious spending of modelling tokens coming on next week when me and a pal visit the Perth show).

Sun keeps popping out, might nip out for a short'ish bike ride if the black clouds vanish.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently that's why tomatoes regularly grow on railway lines. Though with the fitting of retention toilets that will be on the decline.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Agree 7

Good evening one and all.  You what?  Simple.  I have a stupidly early start in the morning and every minute counts.  It's a surprise visit to one of my old haunts.  I'll tell all on Sunday.  Best wishes to all, Chris

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Yes it’s a Snapchat screenshot. 

A case of having to speak a language understood by the non-wrinklies in order to communicate!

Why do they print the name backwards on the can? Is it so the driver in front can read it in their rear-view mirror?

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Good evening one and all.  You what?  Simple.  I have a stupidly early start in the morning and every minute counts.  It's a surprise visit to one of my old haunts.  I'll tell all on Sunday.  Best wishes to all, Chris

We could have travelled back from the home  of Weetabix via Bedford but it wasn’t the sat nav first choice so we returned along the A14 and M11. Many miles of speed restrictions but at least no terrible driving or accidents. We had stayed a bit longer at Aditi’s brother’s house so we could see both nieces. 

Tony

• Like 16

18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Why do they print the name backwards on the can? Is it so the driver in front can read it in their rear-view mirror?

It's like a Government health warning. You look at the can, see it's ar5e about face and think you have had too much.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It’s just the way the app works. It uses the face-facing or “selfie” camera on the phone but doesn’t reverse the image to correctly present text to view. Kids, eh? ;)

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

19 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'd like to see a glacial lake grow like a weed. ;) (OK I'm being naughty.)

I was going to ask you what the dominant evergreen species was but Google is our friend and I was interested (but not totally surprised) to see the Douglas Fir at the top of the list. The Douglas fir is the dominant evergreen on the west side of the Cascades. It is truly amazing to see them immediately give way to Ponderosa when crossing pass summits to the east slope of the Cascades as the microclimates change.

I frequently have to pull magically-appearing, juvenile Doug Firs from my garden, and they are very tenacious for such small plants. I do love them but my house will not if I let them grow. (Coastal Douglas Firs can grow 20m - 100m tall.)

Those across the street from me are easily well above 20m and some may exceed 30m. Watching them tossing in a storm the other day had me doing lots of mental rudimentary trigonometry to make sure they were far enough away to not present a existential threat to my home. (I'm pretty sure they are far enough that they don't.)

Sadly our little town is being 'discovered' and people are fleeing Seattle due to high housing costs and moving south.  Consequence thereof is more houses are being built, land clear cut and trees cut down.  So to counteract all this development and help nature and the environment, we planted native trees on the property as the lot is big enough.  After twenty years or so those trees are now around forty feet tall and the property doesn't seem so big!  At this rate they will soon be as tall as their older brethren in the green belt.

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

It’s just the way the app works. It uses the face-facing or “selfie” camera on the phone but doesn’t reverse the image to correctly present text to view. Kids, eh? ;)

I was, of course, being slightly facetious.  But then I found myself wondering why a mirror doesn't invert images top and bottom as well as swapping right and left. I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation but it's an interesting question for anyone who wants to start a fight in a pub ;)

• Funny 12