The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Lovely day for a walk along the old GWR trackbed from Princetown on Dartmoor.

Walked along it many times but today the sun was right and was catching on what looked like an odd bit of rock to the side of the trackbed.

Cant quite decide if it is or not......... firebox clinker.......what do you think?

IMG_7443.JPG

Looks like clinker to me.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

42 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Lovely day for a walk along the old GWR trackbed from Princetown on Dartmoor.

Walked along it many times but today the sun was right and was catching on what looked like an odd bit of rock to the side of the trackbed.

Cant quite decide if it is or not......... firebox clinker.......what do you think?

IMG_7443.JPG

The other possibility is lava/basalt. But since that would have to be forn=med on the surface and the granite of Dartmoor was formed 10km underground this is unlikely. Clue here is in the vesicles that were gas bubbles. South West examples include pillow lavas at Porthustock and on the coast at Geevor, and just north of Weston-super-Mare.

Bute depends where is it is could be scoria, slag from copper/tin smelting. There's a lot of that round Hayle used for building, but it's not exceptionally durable and placed built from it tent to fall down after a hundred years or so. There walls alongside Copperhouse Creek, walk round St Uny churchyars and a hut outside Philack church all made of the stuff.

Really depends where you found it, but let's deploy most likely material.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

54 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

… and talking about buildings in the garden this is the latest building appearing in my garden sitting atop Big Mountain:

BigMountainTopDevelopment-61.jpg.aad3d395704e87a344ae7677cb4b6dc7.jpg

Roof shingles currently being laid so still quite a bit to be done until its finished.

Keith

Looks great.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it started wet and has turned out not wet, apart from all the stuff that landed overnight/early this morning.  Forecast seem to have been spot on!!!!

Now Black Rat's clinker - well it definitely looks like clinker to me although it might be furnace slag.   The line was built in 1876 so I doubt it was firebox clinker from the time of building but if it was found near the site of Ingra Tor Halt it could indeed be firebox clinker from the engine that got stuck there in the snow as its fire must have gone out and could well have clinkered due to lack of attention and poor draughts as the snow built up.

The Good Doctor's flight appears to be on time as it heads westwards so all depends now on teh wind staying steady anfd Gatwoick not being in an operational shambles due to the  weather.  The next stage depends on her getting from teh terminal to the station in double quick time, fingers crossed.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not as muggy as it was this morning but still a bit sticky. Cold chicken and salad for dinner so no cooking to do. The poppies are blooming well, not surprising after the watering they received last night.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

BBQ with daughter and SiL was disrupted by the nasty one, she has become really evil some one phone here this afternoon for IT and I told them we have spilt she doesn't

live here anymore she went ballistic at me in front of the SiL he was shocked that she could be so nasty my daughter was in tears, I was bought up never to lie and I wont be

starting to do it now just to pacify that #itch.

I'm off for a beer sod HER.  :wild:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

The mysterious package arrived mid morning and turned out to be the new 18-140mm lens for my camera. Given that I ordered it yesterday and didn't pay the extra for next day service, I was well impressed. Add to that the price was more than 30% lower than retail list with free delivery, I am very pleased that I chose this supplier - one I had not previously heard of! If you feel an urge to purchase photography equipment, may I suggest that you at least look at AshtonLittle.com!

Having got the car back (no expensive shocks thankfully) and then ferried No1 grandson to and from golf lesson, I have grilled my fresh herrings and am about to depart to Crib School. Sadly, amber liquid will not be on the agenda for me as I have a fasting blood drawing tomorrow morning so just water this time. I bet my cribbage skills will descend to a level comparable to England's Cricket Team as a result. I have also (perhaps unwisely) volunteered to play at least 9 holes of golf next week on a par31 course on teh Isle of Wight, hoping the hip will allow me to do so.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

my ... skills will descend to a level comparable to England's Cricket Team

There'll be some happy faces over their cornflakes this morning in the Antipodes when they hear the news. That and Ash Barty entering Wimbledon as the number one player is a nice little pick me up after the Matildas' departure from the Women's Soccer World Cup earlier than many had hoped.

Without rubbing it in, I'm quietly celebrating what may well be the oldest enduring rivalry in organized International sports this afternoon.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Then to John Lewis to buy a  new duvet and cover (extra Kingsize as she says I nick the duvet.(moi? Surely not!!)

We got a room upgrade when we arrived, nice view etc, and the biggest bed I have ever seen. It seems to be about 8 feet wide. I still seem to sleep on the edge though. 

• Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Busy day tomorrow so an earlier night, hopefully nice weather for a visit to Balmoral, should I mention my omission from the honours' list AGAIN, or would that be impolite...…………………………………...lol

G'night all.

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4