The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Tesco's lunchtime was even quieter than yesterday but my favourite 'seedy' bread was not available in any shape or form. Quite honestly I can't see the in store bakery staying open much longer then there will only be the option of pre-wrapped stodge. I popped into another local newsagent and managed to arrange delivery of my newspapers starting Thursday. I have enough bread and milk to last to the weekend so I will need to go out but only a couple of times a week.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Under the Govt guidance the building industry is not closed down.  But Taylor Wimpey have decided to close all their sites and work is also reportedly being stopped at all Crossrail sites.  So that's it then - opening of Crossrail delayed due to Coronavirus, official.

I imagine that a fair few big greenfield destruction companies housing developers will be feeling the pinch somewhat very soon, having purchased expensive land to build new houses on, only to see the housing market most likely taking a big hit in the near future. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 17

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

ironically didn't tesco announce the closure ofmost of their in-store bakeries a month or so ago?

Only in some of their smaller stores. The larger stores such as Pitsea are retaining their bakeries.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

While the trimming of the Archers is not welcome at least we'll be getting to the full story of the wicked welsh builder and what increasingly sounds like an enslaved work force.  this bloke could end up making Rob Titchener look like a beginner.  

Yet he always seems as if he doesn't have too many beans to rub together.  Most slave owners have oodles of cash, primarily because they don't pay their slaves

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Large families were also insurance against having no pension!  They looked after you when you no longer worked.

Something the younger generation seem to have forgotten in the intervening years

I'd also check the mortality rate, as infant mortality was very high in those days.

On my family tree one couple had 24 surviving children!!! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Been for a nice walk in the fields, well away from everyone and listened to the Skylarks, proper lift the soul they do, also saw some Curlews, they will be going up into the hills soon, pity I can't follow them.

So the curlews are defying the curfew? ;)

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

Walked to my local Te scow earlier; everything I want on the shelf; used the auto checkout so no need for isolating. Pleasant day out in the fresh air.

• Like 18