The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The 'electronic' plane spotters are getting excited. You'd think that with the limited number of commercial flights they would be disappointed. Its that very lack of commercial flights that has resulted in some unusual flights. The C-17 touch and go at Southend the other day was only one of them. There has been several survey/mapping flights over London including one flying back and forth between Chiswick and Ockendon.

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sadly the Comedian Eddie Large (of Little & Large fame) is the latest victim :(

As someone pointed out he had a serious heart condition and at 74 he was vunerable. RIP.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

41 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all,

I think the BMA need to recognise two things - firstly the hippocratic oath (or has it become their hypocritical oath?) and secondly the simple matter of he (and she) who pays the piper calling the tune - and getting what they have paid for/are paying for.  All well and good calling it a 'national' health service when at times it gives a good appearance of not being so by treating non-contributors to its club.  Equally of course what they should also do (and what one official comment said they should do) is consider the circumstances of the various patients.  For example ours is simple - my pension income (which is taxed of course) pays the household running expenses and without that the others in the family would have no option but to sell the house and move somewhere where at least one resident would be further from their job.  So I, and no doubt many others of 'older' years on here, are not only paying our subs for the NHS but are in some measure or other supporting our households financially.  If someone who has never actually paid in or contributed anything else to society gets 'my ventilator time' instead of me exactly how is that fair?  And if I go my regular payments to the tax pool, which among other things helps support the NHS, goes with me - hardly economic sense when we look at things from a hard economic perspective.  And I'm b*ggered if I'm going to sign a DNR note which it is claimed is what some medics are pushing older people to do - euthanasia is alive and well and about to flourish in Britain courtesy the NHS.  Angry - you bet I am, not even Andrew C could come up with a halfway accurate description for so called 'Doctors' coming out with this sort of nonsense.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all and stay safe (if 'the others' will let you).

And I bet they still resuscitate the, never paid a penny in, drunks and druggies on a Saturday night, and any other night / day come to that.:angry:

• Agree 12

Mike, I certainly sympathise with you (and I thank the gods I am here in Switzerland with access to Swiss medical care). One thing is certain, this crisis has ensured that the cracks in the NHS can no longer be papered over. But whether or not our craven politicians will truly address the problems of the NHS remains to be seen (and, no, that doesn’t mean just throwing more money at it).

Whilst noble in intent, “free at the point of use” is a recipe for abuse (and indeed the NHS is very much abused...). At present much of NHS management, PHE etc., have hardly been covering themselves with glory (unlike the NHS front line)

You express anger at non-contributors to the system who just turn up to be treated (“health tourists”) and whilst apologists say the cost of health tourism is minimal, it’s not just the money. Every non-contributor that gets seen means that some of the finite resources of the NHS are diverted away from those who DO contribute. And what’s wrong with expecting non-nationals/residents to have health insurance before they arrive in the UK? 

Actually, come to think of it, having some of the world class NHS hospitals open adjacent clinics for treating paying patients from abroad could be a way for such hospitals to acquire funds not forthcoming from the government (with the added bonus of that money also being without government strings attached - if everything is set up properly).  The Swiss manage to do so (orthopaedic surgery being a particular specialty [loads of experience due to the winter sports enthusiasts]). In fact, all my recent surgeries (paid for by my health insurance) took place in such clinics. Anyone used to how the NHS sets up its hospitals, had they visited me post-op, would have been forgiven for thinking that they had come to a luxurious hotel by mistake. And, if I may digress, the place where I had my December surgery was set up by my wife’s cousin and a group of physicians, which means that the clinic is set up for the benefit of the clinical staff not the administrators!

As for a blanket DNR order for elderly patients, apart from being - at the very least - ethically questionable, it also makes no medical sense, as it appears - from what has been said - such rigid guidelines would result in the preferential treatment of a 24 year old junkie with end stage renal disease over an 80 year old with hypertension.

No wonder you’re angry...

iD

• Like 13
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So presumably 'somewhere' further down (and up) the road they will install a cabinet to feed the local cables otherwise there would be an awful lot going back to their central whatever it is.

Forty houses in our road. There is a green cabinet at the end of the road for the broadband cable. The phone cabinet is in the next road. 

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And I bet they still resuscitate the, never paid a penny in, drunks and druggies on a Saturday night, and any other night / day come to that.:angry:

Andy my daughter is a police officer in her beat days in Woking she somehow ended up with this druggy in hospital 3 or 4 weeks running, one of the night staff said to her

on week 5 when she took a woman in who had been assaulted you don't have to worry about your mate the druggy anymore 4 of us spent 3 hours last night on him trying to keep him alive.

You can guess the rest.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, southern42 said:

Remedy, anyone?

And, to sing you out...

Keep fit, Elfie :training:  and stay safe.

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Hmmm, I was expecting strains of "Dixie" to come sneaking in at some point! :biggrin_mini: Anyway, I recognized several of the tunes, maybe not by name but the music. :o Thank you for posting that, it was quite up-lifting.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

being - at the very least - ethically questionable, it also makes no medical sense, as it appears - from what has been said - such rigid guidelines would result in the preferential treatment of a 24 year old junkie with end stage renal disease over an 80 year old with hypertension.

What had been said doesn’t appear to be anything like what is reality. Doctors did not want to be using age alone as a triage decider. I think the 24 year old drug dependent with renal disease even on my very limited understanding would score much higher(Clinical Frailty Scale) than the 80 year old with hypertension. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 11