The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Windermere that I operate on used to have a good turntable control.  There was a dial (rotary switch?) that you pointed to the desired track, then pushed a button to start. The turntable would rotate the same way as the dial was last turned.

After 20 to 30 years of operation the control wass shot and the original information had gone missing. It now has a center-off speed control.

I saw a spokesman criticised for his explanation of the propagation curves of the virus.  I think he was trying to explain seond differentials without algebra.

Edited by BR60103
better post
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 10

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

If possible don't set the handbrake if you are not going to be driving it for a while. Leaving it in first or reverse should be quite enough, or "P" if it's an automatic. If it is on a slope you could also chock the wheels. You'll still get a layer of rust on the disks/drums but at least the brakes won't seize.

Fair comment. At least it's a petrol engine; I'd NEVER leave a Diesel engined car in gear as it doesn't need the electrical system on to fire! (Compression only combustion, no spark plugs. OK, fuel pump, injectors, etc. on the modern engine are electric but...)

Snag is that when I park, I never know how long it will be until I will next use the car; could be tomorrow, could by three months. Before this week, I last used her in January. When I wanted to use her later in the month, I had to get a taxi instead as the battery had gone flat.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

13 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Fair comment. At least it's a petrol engine; I'd NEVER leave a Diesel engined car in gear as it doesn't need the electrical system on to fire! (Compression only combustion, no spark plugs. OK, fuel pump, injectors, etc. on the modern engine are electric but...)

Despite the fact that petrol engines are quite capable of "dieseling" with all the electrical power turned off it's impossible to push or tow-start a petrol engine in first or reverse (either the wheels won't turn or the gear-train has a catastroscope). The mechanical advantage is going entirely in the wrong direction. It's even less likely with a diesel engine because diesel engines have such high compression ratios.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning all,

No post last night as I fell asleep earlier than usual.Gardening for me as well but may have to do a bit of house chores first.

Hopefully may get bit of modelling done later.

Enjoy the day and don’t go AWOL.

Regard Robert

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl part 2...

It's chilly outside,  scattered clouds, 

As the gadget said its Saturday today,  I won't be spending a long day hour at work... 

Porridge,  had the first serving of an alternative version you wouldn't have thought two brands of rolled oats could taste so different.  Oats are bland anyway but this one is so bland i'll be adding bananas tomorrow. 

Has the Google snooping got so intrusive that it reads RMWEB? This morning after Shakespeare getting mentioned yesterday ,  I'm getting adverts for books of his works.

I'm off to the garage to wind some nuts.. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. And a foggy morning it is/was too. Flavio, I agree entirely with you regarding wbankers, if I said here what I think of them I'm likely to get banned. Even worse are the insurance companies, bookies with the odds firmly fixed in their favour. I will not be venturing out tomorrow, not even into the garden as the pollen count is predicted to go through the roof. Now to do battle with Farcebook, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, 45156 said:

And finally for now, the clown in the White House has said that everybody should wear a face mask - but he won't.  At the same time, one of our advisors was on TV saying that the use of a face mask was not all that beneficial.  Anyway, there's not enough for the NHS in this country let alone 66 million people,

Just heard the above - completely agree with your comments

• Like 6
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning form a misty one here in the  South East.

Just been listneing to the news of reports that Police have been questioning why people have bene buying Easter eggs - I hope this isnt going to be the new normal so that we have to sneak certain goods out of shops. The regular 'stay in except for...' speeches by the Govt. appear to have dropped helping vulnerable people so I hope that doesn't mean that I cant do food shopping for Mum and take it the 8 miles to her in the car. We havent left the house at all since last Tuesday, so today we will be doing a long walk ( approx 3 - 4 miles round trip) for exercise and food shopping on the way back. If we get stopped then we will not be happy if told that we cant go for a long walk. We will be switching our mobiles off before we leave the house now that G@@gle have publicly stated that they will be making such data available (the Govt have been using data from 02 sim cards for a while). I suspect that many others will be doing the same.

At least we have a garden and I have plenty to keep me occupied but it is starting to get hard to not be travelling somewhere but I feel for those couped up inside with no garden and even more to those in the NHS etc having to deal with so many unwell people.

EDIT

Just spoken to Mum. Shes 87 but apparently not eligible for home dleivery as the illnesses she has dont count as vulnerable by Waitrose. So she is now trying to get hold of other stores - all very misleading.

I am not planning to buy any Easter eggs. But if Plod were to stop me with one in my shopping bag, I would answer that question with "Because it's Easter. Go and do some proper police work". The Easter eggs have been in the shops since before lockdown and it is not going to add to the Covid-19 spread if people add an Easter egg or two to the rest of their shopping. If we all stop buying Easter eggs, it will have some very negative economic effects for no corresponding benefit.

A four mile walk is not "long" in the context of achieving the recommended 10,000 steps per day.

I am not the most reliable source of info about mobile phones but I don't think that turning it off will make you untraceable. You would need to leave it at home.

• Like 15
  • Agree 4

Morning, looking dull and overcast here, not planning on doing much, maybe a bike ride for daily exercise later, we went out for a walk yesterday and as we crossed the bridge over the ECML there was a horde of "lemmings" coming towards us, so we about turned and found a quitter route(I say lemmings, because there were at least 3 different households, none of which were more than a few inches from each other, so I thought the term fitted the bill perfectly)

Have a safe day, might go run some muddles about later...…..choo choo:dancer:

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here, the earlier mist has cleared.

Seems quiet out today. Though for all I know  there could be herds of wildebeest wandering along the A13.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Funny 13