The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, pH said:

I think you have that backwards. 'Durex' is the generic term for adhesive tape (i.e. 'Sellotape') in Australia.

It's also the name of a brand of antifreeze in the US: https://north40.com/durex-extended-life-50-50-antifreeze-and-coolant

It could certainly be an interesting experience for some masochist who gets it the wrong way round!

7 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Custard - like others I do not like the skin and in reality cannot 'digest' skin of things like apples etc or rind so give me meat and two veg anytime (provided they are the right veg).  Abroad food has been problem and I generally lose a lot of weight.

Custard skin is only dried custard; just stir it back into the main bowl and it disappears; what's the fuss? Vegetable and fruit skin, even bread crusts - all naturally edible. Rind, or even chicken skin - different kettle of fish!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wanted some Peco insulfrog turnouts for a quick jaunt into 4 mm modelling, but I can't get any.

Apparently they are  all self isolating..............

I'll get my wetsuit

Code 75, 83, 100?

I'd heard that the French are already self-isolating! ;)

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Simon G said:

I head today via the WhatsApp group in our lane that one of the residents has offered to get their daughter to play the piano and sing, and they will broadcast it to the lane residents via a PA system.  When I informed my sons of this intention,  my eldest commented that perhaps this was a new government initiative to keep people indoors!

Isn't one of Jamie's neighbours Madame Edith?

Pass the cheese Gruber!

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Good morning all 

As a geologist by training and education I am taking a significant interest in matters beneath the North American continent currently. It is not an area we were taught about other than in general terms - there simply isn’t scope for that within a first degree course concentrating on British geology. 

I too have read with interest the comments and articles that have been presented.  Continental Drift items were published just after I purchased my 'Holmes' I think and the latter remains basically unused in the loft together with other items of that era that should have been discarded long ago as I ended up not in geology but chemistry.  I was encouraged that the interest is still present and enjoyed the rvery interesting read.

Koalas and others, yes agree with Gwiver and Chris F on this.

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Continental Drift items were published just after I purchased my 'Holmes'

I have the 1928(?) translated edition of the original The Origin of Continents and Oceans, somewhere.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

9 hours ago, 45156 said:

And finally for now, the clown in the White House has said that everybody should wear a face mask - but he won't.  At the same time, one of our advisors was on TV saying that the use of a face mask was not all that beneficial.  Anyway, there's not enough for the NHS in this country let alone 66 million people,

Face masks aka face coverings.

The first priority is for medical professionals to have medical grade PPE.

There has been a considerable amount of deliberate disinformation (from official sources including the WHO) to make sure people don't hoard medical grade PPE. It may well be accurate to say that masks might not much limit people contracting the disease*, but they can substantially reduce people transmitting the disease.

* This still flies in the face of them being so critical for healthcare workers. (Arguably the combination of mask, face shield and gloves are essential.)

What is beneficial in the current outbreak is (in addition to hand washing and distancing) for *everyone* to have a face covering while in public - to limit the projected spittle from people who may have COVID-19, particularly the asymptomatic ones.

Culturally the West is not keen on wearing masks - they have an outlaw connotation.  Since the SARS epidemic, Asians have keenly adopted the wearing of masks. In particular, people in the PRC have the plausible deniability that they are wearing masks because of germs/viruses/air pollution, when they have the collateral effect of mitigating some of the facial recognition software ubiquitously employed there.

There is now a cottage industry in the US in households where people have not forgotten how to sew. People are sewing face coverings. This is a great way to contribute.

During the 1918 influenza pandemic it was illegal in many parts of the US to not wear face coverings in public.

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Cannot put a button on this but macaroni cheese does the same for me, as does anything that includes pasta and to a lesser extent cooked cheese. 

Fried Egg

On Baked Beans

On Melted Cheese

On Branston Pickle

On Toast

All topped with a squirt of Salad Cream (or Mayonnaise if you're posh). **

Wicked.  Try it

** Brown Sauce would be a forgivable alternative

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Custard skin is only dried custard; just stir it back into the main bowl and it disappears; what's the fuss? Vegetable and fruit skin, even bread crusts - all naturally edible. Rind, or even chicken skin - different kettle of fish!

Custard skin- agree with your comment ... other things are not related to the fact that the items themselves are naturally edible ..

• Like 11

6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I understand that "Sellotape" may have a different following in the Antipodes!

6 hours ago, pH said:

I think you have that backwards. 'Durex' is the generic term for adhesive tape (i.e. 'Sellotape') in Australia.

In my formative years in Australia we called it "sticky tape" - no proprietary branding used.

In the US it is "Scotch tape" that being the brand name from 3M.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, 45156 said:

Morning All

Anyway, there's not enough for the NHS in this country let alone 66 million people,

Back later (internet permitting)

Regards to All

Stewart

It's actually all the PPE equipment.  I do have one PPE3 mask, but otherwise I'm only PPE2 compliant.  Bill

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In my formative years in Australia we called it "sticky tape" - no proprietary branding used.

In the US it is "Scotch tape" that being the brand name from 3M.

It was always "sticky tape" while I lived there.  The reference to a brand name more often associated with a contraceptive seemed to have become a stale joke.  That brand of sticky tape was not, I was assured, even known in the State of Victoria.  It is "Sellotape" here in the UK - to us at least - in much the same way as I clean the carpets by hoovering although SWMBO, the Aussie of the house, refers to the vacuum and not the hoover.  She also calls a duvet a doona and uses other terms she has known from early childhood in preference to the British ones.  

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

I have thoroughly enjoyed the "yuk" factor of the gooey food conversation.

Someone mentioned "vomit consistency". I concur.

I really don't like:

• Oatmeal / porridge
  • Rice pudding
  • Tapioca / sago / any other "yuk" pudding in this family

I'm sketchy with:

• Runny polenta / grits
  • Macaroni with cheese

The weird thing is that I enjoy the taste of all of these items (except tapioca etc) but simply cannot handle the texture. I love baked polenta.

In my formative years for dessert we routinely had ice milk (cheapo ice cream), jelly (JELLO in the US) and cold, pre-made custard (in cartons from the dairy counter). This is not something I ever want to have again but not so much because it tastes bad but it's filed away under "been there done that".

Custard is rarely encountered here. A friend made her English mum's trifle. She used Birds. It was great. I do enjoy Crème Anglais.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon 2, 

I like macaroni,  I like cheese,  I love macaroni cheese. 

The keel Is hanging in the garage,  hanging,  yes I've already bought the eye Nuts that will lift the boat on the club crane.  So I screwed them on,  and hung the keel from the roof beams. That brought the keel. Up to a working height, while vertical.  You can't balance the keel on end on the bolts. 

Then a small amount of resin was poured in by each bolt, and I wandered up and down pushing the resin onto the bolts at the holes topping up as it drained into the holes. 

Tomorrow it will be hung up the other way for the other set of holes. 

After that it rained on the model railway,  polyurethane rain that is,  as I topped up the lochan and attempted to make rock look wet. 

• Like 18

On 03/04/2020 at 03:20, Andrew P said:

The first snack my NOW Wife ever did for me was Macaroni Cheese. I'd been out and as I walked in the door I nearly threw up.:blush:

It went in the bin.

But I love Macaroni, and I love Cheese, work that one out.:no:

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Cannot put a button on this but macaroni cheese does the same for me, as does anything that includes pasta and to a lesser extent cooked cheese. 

Mac and cheese is a highly variable dish. I've had versions that I loved and others I've hated.

It is more accurately macaroni and béchamel with cheese and is very dependent on the sauce.

My dad loved a dish that my grandfather made on Sundays. In later years Mum made it for him. It was a baked spaghetti with béchamel and bacon. (Kind of like a baked pasta carbonara.) It was sticky and nasty. We children hated it and she stopped making it.

I have had pasta carbonara in both the US and the UK. Given the differences in bacon, they taste quite different. I like the US version better.

3 hours ago, PeterBB said:

SWMBO added coffee to a cake mix recently - not her best cake since other items were unavailable but as a result of eating it we found out another reason why I need to stay clear of coffee -  I can still 'make' instant coffee at a distance but it and certainly the cup  dregs have to stay at a distance.

Years ago (during the "fat free" fad of the 1990s) my (then) wife made a 'fat free', rich chocolate cake that included instant coffee. We were regular coffee drinkers but something in that recipe amplified the caffeine - we were bouncing off the walls. That recipe was never repeated.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Found I was running out of milk so I popped down to Tess Coes after lunch and surprise surprise there was no queue to go in! I got a few other items such as bread but there was no eggs to be had, Nor was there any bread pudding which means that my diet for the next week will be ever so slightly healthier.

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'll get my wetsuit

Heres your wetsuit:-

image.png.b11f2bc34b7847b87056c69beb17b71f.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

29 minutes ago, TheQ said:

After that it rained on the model railway,  polyurethane rain that is,  as I topped up the lochan and attempted to make rock look wet. 

Would a high-gloss varnish not be effective? (Or perhaps it is polyurethane varnish to which you refer?)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Perhaps I am either optimistic or naive, but I am hoping that they change the law-sooner or later-so that the people at the very top are actually held personally accountable for the decisions they make for the big company they are running.

As I understand it, one of the whole points of corporations is to remove the threat of personal responsibility from those at the top. Initially, this was a good thing, as nobody (sensible) would launch an enterprise, however worthy but which was in any way legitimately risky, if they could be held personally responsible for the results of its possible failure, especially if there were other shareholders. However, with those now at the top of most corporations no longer being founders or owners, that reason is, in my opinion (other opinions are available) no longer as relevant.

There has been criticism of this property of corporations for a long time. A Lord Chancellor in the late 1700s is supposed to have said " Corporations have neither bodies to be punished, nor souls to be condemned; they therefore do as they like."

Variations of that are "Did you ever expect a corporation to have a conscience, when it has no soul to be damned, and no body to be kicked?" And "Corporations have no body to imprison and no soul to shame."

So - don't hold your breath!

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, pH said:

There has been criticism of this property of corporations for a long time. A Lord Chancellor in the late 1700s is supposed to have said " Corporations have neither bodies to be punished, nor souls to be condemned; they therefore do as they like."

Variations of that are "Did you ever expect a corporation to have a conscience, when it has no soul to be damned, and no body to be kicked?" And "Corporations have no body to imprison and no soul to shame."

So the Houses of Parliament must be a successful corporation! What is even worse is that an election is normally won by the most convincing liar.

• Like 4
  • Agree 9