The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

In my formative years in Australia we called it "sticky tape" - no proprietary branding used.

In the US it is "Scotch tape" that being the brand name from 3M.

I see from Wiktionary(!!) that use of the term in Australia has decreased. I first heard of the confusion from a female Australian co-worker who had tried to buy adhesive tape in a WH Smith's in Cambridge soon after arriving in the UK.

Edited by pH
Correct name of shop!
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

From chats at the moment it seems that tests for Covid 19 for NHS staff are starting to happen. Midlands BiL hasn’t had one as he is working from home being vulnerable but others in the practice had tests at a drive through centre. One manager and one GP tested positive, neither showing symptoms on the day of the test. SiL who’s has been seeing the possible viral patients hadn’t had a test yet. GP nephew in Sussex is isolating as his girlfriend had symptoms. They are waiting for what they called the “swabulance” to arrive for a test, hopefully so they can return to work. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 minutes ago, pH said:

I see from Wiktionary(!!) that use of the term in Australia has decreased. I first heard of the confusion from a female Australian co-worker who had tried to buy adhesive tape in a John Smith's in Cambridge soon after arriving in the UK.

I had a similar problem trying to get an eraser from the department's admin.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

There was a report in the papers a couple of days ago about someone who got caught stealing PPE equipment. He's looking at a custodial sentence but sadly the PPE equipment he stole is possibly contaminated and now rendered useless.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

10 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

matters beneath the North American continent currently. It is not an area we were taught about other than in general terms - there simply isn’t scope for that within a first degree course concentrating on British geology. 

Tend to agree but whilst in my last year in high school back home, our geography class featured this area of the PNW so I had a fair idea of what went on here, which stood me in good stead.  What I didn't expect was the tribal influence with names that were hard to pronounce or spell even but after the Spanish influence of our time in California, it didn't take that long to get the idea here either.

Brian.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Then again if "HE" choses not to wear one, we can only hope for the best outcome :jester:

I must protest at the "Joke" Emoji - I find it most inappropriate....  ;)

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

...snip... but I don't think that turning it off will make you untraceable. You would need to leave it at home.

Better yet, remove the battery if you can.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I'd NEVER leave a Diesel engined car in gear as it doesn't need the electrical system on to fire! (Compression only combustion, ...snip...

Ah, true, but how would the compression be attained without cranking the engine?

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

So the Houses of Parliament must be a successful corporation! What is even worse is that an election is normally won by the most convincing liar.

You could substitute "Congress" for "Houses of Parliament" and still be correct! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 13