The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

5 hours ago, brianusa said:

So which is it?  To wear or not to wear, having been SI for more than two weeks now, we have all heard the pros and cons.  I wouldn't know where to get the masks as evidently they are in short supply and more useful to first responders anyway.

Brian, it should always have been "wear" (while in public) but officialdom did not want people hoarding the medical grade PPE or even the construction grade N95 respirators.

Ideally non-healthcare/first responders should not be using up medical grade PPE but other masks. You do not need to wear them at home (unless tending someone who is COVID-19 positive).

If someone in your household can sew, there are plenty of patterns available online with many YouTube tutorials. Even CNN got into the act by providing a basic pattern and instructions. If not you might be able to source non-medical grade masks on websites like etsy.com.

I don't have one either. Nor have I been able to source the disinfecting wipes I prefer.

4 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... wearing them (so long as NOT using those more suited to medical staff and hording them inappropriately) is better than NOT wearing them, IMHO.

Agreed. This should have been the message from the beginning, but clearly the decision was that the public could not be trusted. Panic purchase of toilet paper demonstrates the accuracy of this assessment.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Would a high-gloss varnish not be effective? (Or perhaps it is polyurethane varnish to which you refer?)

Yep, it is high gloss polyurethane varnish,  I have a 2.5 litre can,  mostly unused, left over from a previous project... 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Stewart, this site was very slow last night but other bits of the internet were very varied. Could be a more basic problem other than BT. The internet may be speedier today due to the weather.

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

A poor  nights sleep , less than 4 hours followed by intermittent dozing on the sofa.  Couldn't get comfortable.  Good for my back, was bad for my neck, or the other way round.. 

Ben the desperate Collie wanted out 15 minutes early, he was in a hurry, he dashed down the garden to leave a huge pile... 

SWMBO discovered her art paper and mount board stocks are getting damp.  Not enough air circulation I think.  Modifications to the storage area, in the form of battens to allow air beneath, are the first task today. 

After that Ivy clearance in the sun,  it's cloudless, windless,  and a touch chilly out there at the moment.

During the long partial doze,  I realized that part of the scenic work I've done on the board still resident at the MRC  is wrong, it has a minor effect on one of the boards in the MhRC which I'll correct today.  But the major surgery to the other boards will have to wait. 

I have banana porridge lava cooling till safe to eat..

After that a Muggacoffee

Then

Time to search through the wood stocks for suitable battens.. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The weird thing is that I simply cannot handle the texture. 

Totally agree that texture is very important and is a cause of other eating difficulties e.g. like skin etc 'connective tissue' being among them  

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Totally agree that texture is very important and is a cause of other eating difficulties e.g. like skin etc 'connective tissue' being among them  

Yes, a colleague of mine would eat minced beef but not "solid" meat as he couldn't stand the texture. 

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It looks like a nice sunny morning here. Forecast is for it to get pleasantly warm too. I suspect we may sit around in the garden later. 
Tony

• Like 18