The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I also got the error 522 message when I tried to log in last night. Anyway back to today, the plan is to spend most of it in the workshop, tinkering with bits for the turntable control system. 

Stay safe, back later 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

only just made it out of bed I was still making the bloody thing at 2 am this morning after an enlightening evening chatting to a new Babe.

She is an excellent p!ss taker like me we sat laughing and joking all night.

I looked out the back window and Ms Nosey was making a be-line for another neighbour who was sitting in the sun with her daughter, the

daughter said something to her and she was back across the lawn at speed with a face like a slapped #rse I would imagine she was told to foxtrot 

Oscar funny I've never seen any-one visit her I wonder why. 

the sun is out so enjoy your day and stay safe :superman: C.O. Oldude .:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Looking forward to another sunny day in the garden with both TV screens in the shed (linked to old / cheap PC's) showing live railcams with Santa Fe junction, Kansas City and Elkhart Indiana been current favourite ones. Much better than having the news on these days.

I am particularly fond of watching the daily local switch the mill at Waupaca.

It happens around about the time that The Archers is  broadcast in the evening. Times do vary due to big trains sometimes interrupting the proceedings.

• Like 16
  • Funny 3

Greetings Sensation Seekers,

I’m settling down in the “iD Comfy Chair”(tm) having just given some GWR wagon models the first coat of paint (as I can’t use my airbrush until Mrs iD’s illegal annexation of the workshop has ended, I am following A method that I saw on a military modelling website: that of using numerous very, very thin washes of paint. The idea being that of gradually building up layers of paint until you arrive at the colour you want. I have done this before, quite successfully, with a Private Owner Wagon I built [pics already posted on RMWeb]), followed by a stint in the kitchen making the massaman curry paste for tonight’s dinner - Massaman Duck Curry.

All this talk about what you lot will/will not eat is quite eye-opening. I have rarely encountered such a bunch of culinary wimps! Won’t eat thick/thin hot/cold custard, won’t eat liver, eats only plain meat and veg, can’t abide garlic, mac’n’cheese makes ‘em heave... Good gods, grow up and get a pair! (Prairie Oysters! Tasty!) :devil::jester:

On a less jocular note, as a culinary adventurer and world traveler I think that it’s a bit sad that so many people are - to put it diplomatically - “fussy” eaters. A truly joyous experience is visiting exotic places and eating with the locals. Most people are proud of their culinary heritage and love it when visitors “chow-down”. An experience at a Hawker Stall in KL - when they served me their version of a medium hot curry mee - is  treasured memory (It goes without saying that their concept of medium hot and most Western European concepts of medium hot are considerably different).

There are only 4 things I will not eat: cats, dogs, hedgehogs, monkeys and spiders, otherwise I’m open to practically anything. I’ve even dabbled in cannibalism (well, if you really, really stretch the definition of Cannibalism, I have eaten human flesh: Once when modelling I sliced a bit of my finger off, I bit off the dangling tab, but didn’t spit it out...).

In a way, h0mo sapiens, as a species, is a very finicky eater: we willingly eat but a small fraction of what we actually can eat. I am not suggesting that we immediately run out and buy Rodent Burgers (although noshing on grey squirrels [squirrels are both edible and tasty when cooked properly] would be a way to protect the native Red Squirrels), but going beyond cow/pig/sheep/chicken/turkey/duck for our meat needs would bring environmental benefits....

And on that note...

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay Sane

iD

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

We completed our weekly 'go and wave at the elderly imprisoned in their various care homes' programme successfully today. Why not just telephone or skype? Those with advanced dementia just don't relate easily to a voice or even a voice plus image; whereas seeing their younger relative in the car park or wherever does spark some recognition. Even if it is Mother telling me I was always a naughty boy. (Bang to rights, she's got me on that one.) Then she mistook my wife for her (late)  sister and was telling her that the different hair colour didn't suit, but she was glad she had lost all that weight. It's non-stop comedy.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

...homo sapiens, as a species, is a very finicky eater: we willingly eat but a small fraction of what we actually can eat. I am not suggesting that we immediately run out and buy Rodent Burgers (although noshing on grey squirrels [squirrels are both edible and tasty when cooked properly] would be a way to protect the native Red Squirrels), but going beyond cow/pig/sheep/chicken/turkey/duck for our meat needs would bring environmental benefits....

And on that note...

... I can add some information from my Pa. Insects are generally OK, but never earwigs. You won't get the vile taste out of your mouth all day apparently. (Experience gained while in hiding during the starvation winter in The Netherlands. I'll take his word on it.)

Best to all, stay safe, don't sample the next earwig you see...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

As I remember the Met went for the Asp because they weren't prepared to provide the continued level of training that the "Night Stick" requires for efficient usage. We were issued with the 18" Asp; apparently the 24" version could inflict serious damage.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

From a professional point if view it's quite hard to injure somebody badly with the new side handled batton that most forces use.

Ditto the modern bayonet.

The 12" version fitted to the old Lee Enfield was far more intimidating than the little stabber fitted to the SA80.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is still lovely and sunny; I am glad I cleaned off the garden furniture yesterday!

not a lot achieved today apart from a walk around the neighbourhood. I have noticed a long distance version of the shuffle that sometimes occurs when two people pass in a corridor and both step to the same side; to maintain social distancing this now happens at 30 yards before one person steps off the pavement.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3