The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

I can safely say the dinner cooking in the kitchen will be entirely conventional.. 

Today's work, in order of appearance. 

Cut 32 1ft batten sections, luckily the whole battens were bought when they were 8ft not the 2400mm many are now. 

SWMBO has now painted one side and edges the other side tomorrow.. 

Keel bolt holes resined

Roof cleared of Ivy for another 6 "furrows" it was noticeable that the wind was cool as a true southerly comes over the sea to us here on the sticky out bum of Britain. 

It was also noticeable there were police in the area, something very rare,  I'm guessing chasing non locals off the beach.. 

Talking of which my sisters boss has been a naughty girl,  she's been photographed visiting her second home..... 

Not good if you're the chief medical officer of Scotland.. 

Keel second side skin fitted and glued.  Now sitting there overnight with many clamps round the edges and several heavy items down the middle.. 

The minor changes to the roads on the layout were done,  then more varnish applied.  At one point I got really worried as the rocks looked like they had been dipped in plastic. However an hour later it had soaked in and looked a lot better, it will be interesting to see how it looks fully dried out tomorrow. 

Dinner was conventional,  pork chop, peas and swede. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Ozexpatriate said:

What in tarnation is "cheese pudding"? 

Somebody just had to ask didn't they? There have been quite enough puddings being brought up around here of late. Do you expect the Mods to be along to scrape the coagulated remains off the floor?

• Funny 17

8 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

What in tarnation is "cheese pudding"? 

It's a sort of economy cheese souffle popular in postwar-UK. My mum used to make it. Lots of recipes on the interwebby.

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Sometimes you even get to taste it twice!

Yeah, but it doesn't taste the same second time round! 

• Agree 8
  • Funny 8

45 minutes ago, AndyID said:

With all this talk about macaroni and cheese I'm surprised nobody brought up cheese pudding.

Was it that bad?

My mum used to make something we called 'man in the moon'. Mashed potato, grated cheese and an egg to bind it, cooked in a frying pan like a thick pancake. Since it was round, and had bits of melted cheese showing in the surface, we thought it looked like the surface of the moon. (And no, she did not use green cheese!)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Watched the Queen at 8pm. It is so calming to hear someone who has seen most things staying very calm and asking us to stick together.

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Just read the Southend News Network’s review

Not bad. Could have done with Her Majesty signing off with ‘What f*cking  part of ‘no sunbathing in the park’ do you cockwombling bunglec*nts not understand?’

Thank  God.

Normal service has been resumed from the boring borough.

• Like 8
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Please put bats and pangolins on your list! 

Duly noted (and added)

I wonder, however, how we (as a species) can/could differentiate between “we can eat it and it’s safe to eat” and “we can eat it, but it’s not safe to eat” I think it might at times be difficult to either tell or decide (domestic food animals also can carry diseases that can jump species).

Becoming a vegetarian is no guarantee of food safety - most of the most potent toxins in the world are plant alkaloids. Other plant foodstuffs, like candlenuts, are toxic unless prepared properly and cooked well.

As an aside, I often wonder how our ancestors managed to figure out what is safe to eat. Presumably primitive man observe what the animals were eating (although this is not a 100% reliable guide, as some animals can harmlessly eat toxins that will lay us flat in seconds). Given the nature of our species, I would presume that primitive societies had reasonably generous supplies of expendable elderly upon which they could test various foodstuffs for toxicity and harm.

And all that provocative and cheery note, I bid you all a good night.

iD

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1