The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I get the impression it does not come with sound

Matthew used to use a lot of language exchange sites where you could match up with someone who was happy to talk and listen and then do the same with English. Matthew found it very useful for moving on from words in Polish to grammatical sentences. I don’t know what the sites were but google does suggest there are quite a few. 
Tony

• Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon,  Blue sky and a slight breeze here, spent the last couple of days in the shed making the last of the trees for the layout and other various bits, sadly this cleared all the brownie points I had earned.

So this mornings job ( instruction) was to power wash the patio areas which I duly started at 0745  and have just finished! Hopefully that redresses the balance!  Once Ive showered and changed I think we will head out for a short walk around the village.

I opened RMweb and came straight to Wheeltappers and indeed this thread, strange thing was I was not signed in, I could read the posts but did not have the reply option, that only appeared when I had logged in. Strange as I thought you could not see Wheeltappers  at all unless you were signed in to RM Web? Maybe I got that wrong!

Oh well enjoy the rest of the day

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Australian aboriginals were often bemused by british explorers and settlers starving to death in what to them was a vast supermarket of food.

Whilst that was true the boot is now sadly upon the other foot as whitefella's grog has brought untold misery and violence to the black fella in Australia.  Whether it is true that they have no alcohol tolerance or whether they had never experienced its effects and suddenly did so as the stuff was introduced there is a massive social and cultural alcohol problem among indigenous Australians which has resulted in many of their lands and settlements being declared "alcohol-free" by either Federal, State or Territory law.  That doesn't stop it being sneaked in (sometimes by the car-load) and it doesn't stop a few outback tourists unwittingly falling foul of local laws which they discover to their cost at random roadblocks.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Whilst that was true the boot is now sadly upon the other foot as whitefella's grog has brought untold misery and violence to the black fella in Australia.  Whether it is true that they have no alcohol tolerance or whether they had never experienced its effects and suddenly did so as the stuff was introduced there is a massive social and cultural alcohol problem among indigenous Australians which has resulted in many of their lands and settlements being declared "alcohol-free" by either Federal, State or Territory law.  That doesn't stop it being sneaked in (sometimes by the car-load) and it doesn't stop a few outback tourists unwittingly falling foul of local laws which they discover to their cost at random roadblocks.

And they form the major part of the population of some state 'correctional facilities' - well over 80% in the one in Queensland where a relative of one of my Aus pals works.

And yes Rick - the Construction Leadership Council issued a new set of guidelines on 23 March which does slightly re-interpret the 2 metre rule for construction sites (subject to various safeguards).  It would appear that our buriers of cables are applying slightly different relaxations of their own devising.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Keel,  excess ply trimmed off,  nose end of ply glued and clamped into place,  14 clamps over 2ft of ply.  There's a lot of bend at that point. 

More varnish applied to the lochan,  the ground that the war memorial will sit on has been modified to be more prominent.  Had a thought that small vehicles at the front of an exhibition may go for a wander...  Anyone know the tread size used on the bottom of Oxford models? I might want to bolt them down.... 

I notice the positioning of "Nightingale " hospitals, Norfolk has a higher percentage of older people than most of the country but we're not getting one and we are a long way from any of them. 

My Friend the widow from the MRC,  achieved her move of home on Friday about ten miles from her old house.  It's only about 5 miles more from the MRC. Much more facilities for her in a small town with shops  literally round the corner. 

She's been living almost out of suitcases for two years while the legal hold ups on the old house were sorted.  She'll finally be able to start on her new assemblies of materials topped by parallel bits of metal. 

Ben the athletic Collie took me for the long walk,  the cattle  were all lying down but we only got a few spots of rain. 

Keel clamps removed,  more excess ply planed off,  tomorrow  much sanding required. 

I'll be heading to the MhRC after the news.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Once the early morning cloud had gone it was quite sunny here this afternoon. Now clouding over a tad but not too much. I'm sorting out some stuff to try in the slow cooker. I intend to make a veggie pasta dish, to that end I found a packet of pappardelle in the back of the cupboard, its in date but looks a bit dry so I'm going to cook it first before it goes in. I have some chopped tomatoes and other items for the sauce but I will have to wait until my next shopping trip to get some other items required. In the meantime now I have recovered the paints I'll be doing a bit of muddling. Ooops, forgot to mention, Flavio mentioned about the Brits only in the last few years discovering the cullinary delights of olive oil. There is ample evidence that the Brits, in southern England anyway were consuming olive oil and Mediteranian wines even before the Roman invasion, swapped for Cornish tin. At least garum is no longer on the menu.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

I opened RMweb and came straight to Wheeltappers and indeed this thread, strange thing was I was not signed in, I could read the posts but did not have the reply option, that only appeared when I had logged in. Strange as I thought you could not see Wheeltappers  at all unless you were signed in to RM Web? Maybe I got that wrong!.

Under normal circumstances Wheeltappers is only visible to those logged in.  However, due to the current situation it was decided to make it visible due to the Self Isolation thread being within the Wheeltappers remit. 

I saw a notice from the  Illustrious Mr York elsewhere on the site but cannot find it to quote.

You still have to be signed in to take part.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 81C said:

Afternoon all

A quick stop between coats of paint does any one know a chap called Robert Poole .

Back later.  

Plenty, but not a Robert.

image.png.4181319595d3e99383704dc5aa8eaf91.png

Muddy Pool

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Standby Rant Mode Engaged....

Is it me, or are journalists a complete bunch of total Feckwits?  After watching the CV Daily Update (and they're still bangin' on about it on the 6 o'clock news...) how on earth Dominic Raab & Co. don't climb thru' the screen to get at the twats asking the questions with a big stick with a nail thru' it I'll never know.  Endless questions about the PM and "should he be working if he's ill enough to be tying up an NHS bed/is he fit enough to be leading the country etc. etc.).  For Fecks sake.

Rant 2:  Fair enough that the Scottish Health Minister has been a naughty girl.  But in my book all the Scottish Sun has done is huge harm for five seconds of glory.  A private big, big b*llocking and a police warning would've been plenty.  Presumably she was in the job cos' she was thought of as being The Best.  Now all the Sun has achieved has put a temporary Second Best into the job.  Great Move, that.

Perhaps all those sunbathing in the parks should lose their jobs too.

Disengage Rant Mode before I rupture a b*llock.

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The papers have just arrived and are full of pics of the idiots sunbathing rather than exercising.

Anyone who wants a good outrage wind up may look up stories of US churches holding Palm Sunday services - including in hard hit Louisiana (it was Baton Rouge, rather than New Orleans).

One TV reporter's story did the round where he interviewed people in cars headed to services. Apparently:

1. The blood of Jesus will project them
  2. "No one is sick anyway, and I would know, I'm the Pastor"
  3. "The law stops at the church door"
  4. "I'm exercising my personal liberty"

I could go on.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

once it had stopped raining it was a lovely afternoon. Our painter is 20% finished, This him outside, us inside lak seems to be fine.

Off to create a weekly Newsletter for the Railway Club.

TTFN

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Forgot to mention.. from a photo elsewhere it would appear that Debs has been hidden away perfecting a multi-awl throwing device. She has disguised it...as a Harp apparently.. yeh! Right!

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Anyone who wants a good outrage wind up may look up stories of US churches holding Palm Sunday services - including in hard hit Louisiana (it was Baton Rouge, rather than New Orleans).

One TV reporter's story did the round where he interviewed people in cars headed to services. Apparently:

1. The blood of Jesus will project them
  2. "No one is sick anyway, and I would know, I'm the Pastor"
  3. "The law stops at the church door"
  4. "I'm exercising my personal liberty"

I could go on.

Yeah, I saw that interview and can be considered "very wound up"!

The abject stupidity of some folks knows no bounds, and I continue to question the intelligence of all those who can't even conjure up a glimmer of common sense. The idiot in the WH SHOULD have already mandated a nationwide lock-down rather than allowing the idiots on the planet to choose for themselves.

Personal liberty should include a swift punch in the gob IMHO! :triniti::rtfm::butcher:

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I suspect that she has neither though the rest of the family will have. This is for the same reason that she alone cannot commit a crime and the car that she's travelling in doesn't need a registration number.  As head of state all such things are issued in her name so she doesn't  need them.  As a quid pro quo visiting heads of state get the same privileges but not their families.  

As to her driving, yes she did learn in the war. However when No2 son was a Guardsman at Windsor the word used to go round when she was out and about behind the wheel and everyone tried to keep as far away as possible to stay safe.  

Jamie

My mum always took delight in pointing out that she had a driving license before dad. I think she got it before driving tests were required in the UK, or maybe she just showed a bit of leg.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

31 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Forgot to mention.. from a photo elsewhere it would appear that Debs has been hidden away perfecting a multi-awl throwing device. She has disguised it...as a Harp apparently.. yeh! Right!

Baz

Would that be a harp-oon perchance. 

Yea yea I know the drill, hat, coat etc. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Just announced that Boris has just been moved to ITU, but not requiring a ventilator.

I realise he's not everyone's cup of tea (I quite like the guy) and hope he's ok

• Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6