The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Morning all.

Another warm day here in the Midlands, which I'm glad about as the new grass seed I planted a week ago has just started poking through.

I'm also glad that some special plants called Yellow Rattle have started sprouting.

We had a grass patch that we wanted as a wild flower area. In order to plant the flower seed, you need to kill off some of the grass so the wild flower has a chance to grow. Yellow Rattle feeds off grass roots... so put it together and what have you got? Bibbidy bobbidy boo!

Also, a bit alarmed my pint of juice looks like it has a head... IMG_20200410_100538.jpg.a635c4c0f48f8a22dd81821d7ad074e5.jpg

I would say it has a better head on it than John Smiths mega carp beer the glass says it is!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Perhaps bus experts such as Gwiwer will be able to help further

That is a first. I have never been called a “bus expert” before nor do I think of myself as one.  So thank you kindly. 

The traditional style of licence (number) plate with white characters on a black background apparently could not be made easily in reflective form and there was some desire to harmonise with other European nations already using differing colours (mostly front-white-rear-yellow but not always) for front and rear plates. 

Vehicles, including buses, first registered before the change to reflective plates were and still are able to retain their marks on traditional plates. Those first registered since reflective plates became available must carry those. 

There was a changeover period as not all LVLOs (Local Vehicle Licensing Offices) were supplied with reflective plates at the same time.  If you were issued old-style ones you could keep them. 

Vehicles which were permitted to carry old-style plates but which have been re-registered (such as the many buses gaining “ageless” marks) are required to display reflective plates meaning the requirement for some buses changed. However vehicles over 30 years old are considered “vintage” and are exempt from mandatory reflective plates if first licensed with old-style ones. 

Thus some older London Routemaster buses yielded up their original marks which could be sold at a profit and gained A-suffix plates. London never issued A-suffix marks the first time around having a surplus of non year-suffix marks to use first.  So those buses gained unused Scottish marks.  Later Routemasters were younger than 30 and whilst few of those were re-registered some gained reflective plates upon overhaul because old-style ones were no longer readily available. 

Curiosities exist. Southdown “Queen Mary” PD3 409 (new as 409DCD) was stripped of its black plates when that mark was transferred to a more modern vehicle in the then-Stagecoach fleet. The new one had to have reflective plates. 409 gained reflective plates with an A-suffix matching its age. When 409DCD was restored to the Queen Mary as a heritage vehicle it regained that mark on old-style black plates. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 7

6 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Welcome to the Hill of Strawberries where Friday is as Good as it’s going to get. 

Sat in the garden after having lunch at the picnic / bbq table outside and enjoying the sounds of many birds, a few people and Pink Floyd’s “ Delicate Sound of Thunder”. 

02CD1161-8165-46AD-96E6-85E17CA0D224.jpeg

A man with TRUE musical taste.:good:

• Like 9
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

How does coronavirus tell people what sort of neighbourhood you live in?

1. Somebody sets up an app for mutual aid among residents in the road - which suggests most in the road folk probably get along with each other fairly well and like to be helpful (if they sign up)

2. People say they are likely to be going shopping and others ask if they can get stuff for them while they're shopping - good indication of neighbourliness and folk helping each other.

3. Person going shopping at Tesco (the lad in this instance) is asked by a neighbour to get them some smoked salmon  - clear indication that the local chippies are closed?:scratchhead:

• Like 13
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Well doesn't time fly, and what strange times we live in.

Here is an older version of the above Squidlet examining the night sky through his binoculars:

squidlet-binoculars.jpg

Great to hear from you and to see the squidlet.  Hope you are staying safevover there.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is another sunny day. I have done a small bit of the g word, Ben for a walk with Mrs and Youngest Lurker and sat in the garden. I am looking forward to a beer later!

good to see Pete posting again.

i hope that everyone is staying safe and well 

I shall go back a few pages now and catch up

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,  They've had to close part of the round Britain coastal footpath,  which goes through a caravan park because walkers keep wandering the site using the parks benches and trying to use the parks " facilities ". This is giving the staff problems as they don't know what has been touched. 

First today open up the MhRC for ventilation, however the smell of  white Spirit was slight,  so I won't need to do it again.  A quick coat of varnish was applied to part of something unmentionable. 

Then to the garage,  ply glued and screwed to the edge of the new board. 

Keel given final sanding,  then the board which will be fixed the the underside of the boat as a load spreader was cut to size and the holes for the keelboats cut. 

The last piece of timber in the wall / roof joint was removed,  it took all of 30 seconds, the timber was that rotten  it fell apart.  After cleaning up the space, 4 bricks were mortared in and the curvy space above filled with expanding foam. 

The new board was taken to the MhRC and adjustable toggle clamps now hold the boards together.  However annoyingly I've left  the dowels at the MRC ..

An inherited  sub board was tried on top and it does fit with a little adjustment needed.  It's original framing will need deconstruction later. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Roads have been quiet but getting busier.

Individual situations will vary.  Absolutely quiet around here.  A number of folk out walking through the day and a few queueing dutifully at the Thai restaurant which is now serving through a window rather than admitting you through the door.  But very few cars on a day when there might ordinarily be modest traffic.  And the very occasional aircraft flying overhead now provokes a response of "Oh - it's an aircraft" rather than "Another bl**dy plane" ;)  

The Green has been well-used but with spacing-out of those so doing.  There are small signs asking people to keep moving which are largely being ignored.  Parents sit on the grass while their children run around for a while.  You cannot explain these things to 2-3 year olds.  

I suspect tomorrow might be busier just because it is a weekend rather than a holiday as such.  We shall see.  This isn't a tourist area.  There has been very little evidence of family visits going on with the notable exception of our Polish neighbours who seem to be interpreting English advice a little liberally.  To my mind that is between them; I am a safe distance away.  

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went to Tess Coes at lunchtime and there was no queue. When I mentioned it to the security guy at the door he said that the queue had only just cleared. It took me about 45 minutes to do my shop and when I came out the queue had reformed, just lucky I guess. Its been mentioned that some supermarkets are roping off some sections but not Tess Coes at Pitsea though they could easily close off the upstairs section that holds clothes, electrical and household items such as bedding, nothing absolutely essential. Tea is brewing, be back later.  

• Like 18