The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I presume that they had some sort of transhipment facilities for the gauge change on the railway.

Yes, on the inland Kyogle line to Brisbane. It was in Acacia Ridge on the Brisbane south side. These days a dual-gauge line runs all the way to the Port of Brisbane, Fisherman Islands facility and for passengers across the river to Roma Street on the edge of the downtown area.

Tweed Heads, though in NSW, was all Queensland "colonial" 3'6" gauge - all 26 chains of it from Coolangatta. The branch was torn up in the early 1960s.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a sunny but chilly North Salopshire. I'm in the dwang already as last night I forgot to put the black bin out and Jill had to do it at 0 double dark. My one chance of recovery is to undertake the announced morning of bathroom etc. cleaning that I was detailed for last night without demur and maybe add another job to my portfolio of my own choosing.

I had an email from one of the supermarkets yesterday acknowledging that my 97 year old Dad is now eligible for priority delivery slots - hasn't taken them long has it? Since I've spent ages setting up deliveries from sources other than supermarkets, having been unable to get any slots at all for most of the time, I'm tempted to tell them what they can do with them now but I guess that would be churlish as well as something I could regret later (it looks like I'm turning/have turned into a grumpy old man too).

When I worked in San Diego in the 80s I drank either Guinness or chilled Coors or Miller Light and actually got to quite like the American fizzy pops on a hot day, especially after spending time in a sweaty cockpit. I'd leave work and meet Jill on Coronado beach where she would surreptitiously give me a cold can from the cool box out of view of the beach police lifeguards. Not a bad way to end the working day I found.

Right, time to finish muggocoffee and get on with Baz-in the day. Have a good one all.

Dave

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here. Not too warm though. 
Today is medical chat with hospital day. I await a phone call. 
Bins will be on the normal day this week, no alteration due to last Friday’s holiday. Our food waste bins don’t need bear clips but they do have a locking handle/lid mechanism. There is a mark II version now that the local foxes have discovered how to open the original type. We just leave our bins and bags where our lawn (small grassy area, lawn sounds rather grand) meets the pavement. Our rubbish and recycling hasn’t been altered much by staying at home since March, we didn’t go out that much really.

Aditi is going to make some masks in case we have to go somewhere where they are required. Not that we are likely to go anywhere, I think she just wants to sew something.

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Sunny here 

Today I've got to sort out toll money for the Dartford Bridge and pipe crossing I'm told you can pre-pay it on the website I use to arrange the Dart Tags to go in the company vehicles

years ago they are no longer used and ANPR camera's now do the job.

Not much else happening enjoy you day n Stay Safe. :superman: Paya Rage :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Talking of towns and cities straddling Borders. I seem to recall a movie where the main character had a house that straddled the California/Nevada border. His problem was an arrest warrant was out for him in Nevada.

1 hour ago, 81C said:

Morning All 

Sunny here 

Today I've got to sort out toll money for the Dartford Bridge and pipe crossing I'm told you can pre-pay it on the website I use to arrange the Dart Tags to go in the company vehicles

years ago they are no longer used and ANPR camera's now do the job.

Not much else happening enjoy you day n Stay Safe. :superman: Paya Rage :biggrin_mini2:

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

You can pay in advance or within I think 24 hours. (EDIT  By midnight the day after you cross). I set up an account that automatically tops up by £10 if it drops below £10. Avoids having to think about tolls if we go shopping in Kent (shopping in Kent, those were the days...)

Tony

That reminds me I have to renew my account, I haven't used the crossing in over a year and I received a notice that the account will be closed if I don't renew it. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

These situations where a house or building straddles a border seem surprisingly common. I always wonder if the occupants end up paying two lots of taxes.

The NStCM station on the Swiss/French border is a case of this. The platforms are in France but the station entrance is in Switzerland. There is a bar there that is in both countries with iirc the drinking part in France and the tobacco counter in Switzerland.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

You can pay in advance or within I think 24 hours. (EDIT  By midnight the day after you cross). I set up an account that automatically tops up by £10 if it drops below £10. Avoids having to think about tolls if we go shopping in Kent (shopping in Kent, those were the days...)

Tony

We have something like that here called Ez-Pass; several northeast states are in it. I have the transponder (with an auto-refill option) but do not use it much any more.

• Like 14

Greetings all from Sidcup, where the blue sky is being partly replaced by clouds. It is not so windy today and as a result not quite so chill - when the sun is out it is quite pleasant.

I have not had time to catch up with all the news but best wishes to all.

I wondered what my Dad remembered of the VE day - turns out, nothing. But he does remember VJ day because he was visiting my Grandma's relations in Newport (Wales) and remembers they painted the kerbs. 

Work is continuing to be fairly busy and I haveyet another call in a couple if minutes so I had better abandon my attempt to catch up for now! 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Tony

Hi Tony 

Thanks for the info I've set up the £10 top up scheme as my memory is like a sieve I'm not sure how many times I will be travelling through and I don't get coped for a fine.

Paya Rage

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Very sorry to hear your news Andrew, at least he isn't suffering.

24 minutes ago, 81C said:

Hi Tony 

Thanks for the info I've set up the £10 top up scheme as my memory is like a sieve I'm not sure how many times I will be travelling through and I don't get coped for a fine.

Paya Rage

Should be no problem, as long as you didn't do what I done and mis-typed my car registration. Now for some eyelid inspection.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9