The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Currently stood in the queue outside the butchers waiting to collect the weekly meat rations. Its sunny but cool, the only clouds to be seen are far away on the horizon. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Lee Clarke said:

Oh, I didn't mean change avatar regularly, I meant use a

"gif. file"

as an avatar so it's a changing picture as opposed to a single static image.  Hopefully the one I'm currently using is an example. Creating it was like a major computer project with my IT skills.

I've got a particular gif(t)

It's do do with mud and manure, or so I'm told!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 19

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, bbishop said:

So they might be introducing  manual point switchers on the 1458.  I can imagine Dom sailing round and round the city to the sound of Richard Wagner's Flying Dutchman overture.

Punters would be offered alternative selections of in-tram Muzak, might be fun to see what suggestions come up? I’ll start the ball rolling with:

”(You can) Ring my bell”

That covers circular routes and stops on demand :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning (just) all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade as I had to nip down to the newsagents this morning. They had delivered the wrong newspaper(s). Instead of my usual Daily Mirror and I I received the product of a certain ex Australian. I have plenty of loo paper anyway and I wouldn't even use that particular rag for that. Researching your family tree can be both fascinating and frustating, I even have a spy amongst my anticedants. I also have a direct ancestor hung at Wapping for piracy. Thats where the frustration comes in, he was hung in 1584 and most of the records were lost in the great fire of London in 1666. Luckily for me many of my ancestral names are unusual which makes tracing them much easier. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sunny but a bit nippy still and our night worker informed us that there was a touch of frost earlier (no problem, the runner beans are well wrapped up in fleece).   Alas my normal lunch menu is somewhat ruined as we have no mushrooms to hand and I doubt there'll be any until Friday.  yesterday was ok as there was freshly made leek soup but today I will probably have to open myself a tin - of baked beans and sausages (sorry Chris) although I might snack on cld quiche but I doubt the asparagus included in last night's version will be very nice eaten cold, ah well needs must an' all that.

The jungle is reasserting itself so that might need to rise up the leader bard but as I had to wear a jacket for watering the garden yesterday it might not be the best of weather for garden work but warmer days are promised.  little else of note to report so have a good day and stay safe one and all.  Now to explore idiot land to see who I have corrected upset.

PS I agree with Flavio, 'Idiocracy' can very definitely be seen as a documentary, or as a warning,  with even more outbreaks of Covid stupidity being reported and some of them clearly involving those of a youthful appearance who will no doubt get older.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I have no idea why I "liked" Tony's radishes.  I detest the little bu99ers.  We managed to grow some in Australia which were just a couple of leaves one day but cricket balls the next.  As large, round and every bit as hard as one.  I'll eat them if sliced into a salad but generally avoid them.  

The good news - I am now home, warm, fed and watered.  Encaffeinated rather than just plain old water.  

There is a large number of emails requiring my attention.  I received a real "old-school" surprise too.  A two-page hand-written letter, with numerous enquiries, in the mail enclosing a stamped addressed envelope for a reply.  I had better not reply offering internet links to web sites!  

No-one has so far "tagged" me into the Facebook trend of listing ten influential music albums - several friends are doing it day by day as we speak - so I have started it all by myself and the rest of cyberspace be blowed ;)  In no particular order and without going into reasons.  Just ten which have had a profound effect upon me over the years. 

1.  Santana's "Moonflower"  

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

There is a good GF fish and chip shop in Skipton.  T

Ah yes, the most redoubtable Bizzy Lizzie's, with two branches, and one of the offers gluten free, and also cooked in vegetable oil intead of the more traditional beef dripping - which suits our taste a lot better, though touch wood we don't need the gluten free.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bbishop said:

So they might be introducing  manual point switchers on the 1458.  I can imagine Dom sailing round and round the city to the sound of Richard Wagner's Flying Dutchman overture.

Back to Paddleboxes, Bill

Manual point setting happens by way of these buttons:

mobile.9a0jus.jpeg

There is a zone ahead of each point marked with a blue and white „W“ board on the OHLE, which is where the transceiver for the relevant point control box is embedded and where these buttons must be pressed as required. There are various tram systems which have opted to pursue only this method, while others have chosen to automate point setting based on turn IDs transmitted through an underfloor antenna or by other technical means. That way, manual setting has to be done only in the event of ad-hoc diversions, or on empty stock movements and similar.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Gentlemen,  she is in fact well aware that I refer to her on here as The Boss and has stated on more than one occasion that she is not and has no wish to be.  This doesn't of course stop her voicing very loud opinions, suggestions and even instructions on a quite frequent basis.  Some of these I take notice of and some I ignore which can,  as you might imagine, lead to the occasional "tense" moment.   This is usually overcome by me making her laugh which I can manage quite easily and is probably the reason that we are still together after our first date some 54 years ago. 

The Defence rests.

I'm sure that many would agree you get less than 54 years for murder Bob! :lol:

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

No-one has so far "tagged" me into the Facebook trend of listing ten influential music albums - several friends are doing it day by day as we speak - so I have started it all by myself and the rest of cyberspace be blowed ;)  In no particular order and without going into reasons.  Just ten which have had a profound effect upon me over the years. 

1.  Santana's "Moonflower"  

I will join you in this game. I do not have facebook so no-one can tag me there. 

1. First and Last and Always - The Sisters of Mercy

• Like 10

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course, I do have access to that culinary WMD: the tin of HERO Ravioli (this is possibly the world’s worst tinned pasta ...)

Flavio, I've not experienced that. Have you encountered Beefaroni

Actually, if I'm honest I find pretty much any tinned spaghetti with tomato sauce revolting and Beefaroni is an improvement over them.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Greetings one and all.........Wonder if anyone can help........ please let me know what day/ month it is at the moment.

Asking for a friend......as he doesn't know either!

Stay safe!

It's Sunday April 30th.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BlackRat said:

Greetings one and all.........Wonder if anyone can help........ please let me know what day/ month it is at the moment.

Asking for a friend......as he doesn't know either!

Stay safe!

It is Someday 44th April possibly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9