The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am not actually sure if I have eaten huckleberry pie. During our visit to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland we sampled quite a few pies with blue berries that weren’t always called blueberry.

Not likely unless you’ve been to Idaho, Montana, or Southeastern BC. They are similar but totally different to blueberries. Very distinctive taste and eaten raw can be quite bitter. I prefer them to the related Saskatoon berry. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Southeastern BC.

I have been to the Mt Robson area. However not only was there no pie the toilets were closed, as was everything else. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

I've Not got any favourite albums,  I just like the odd track here and there. 

I do like Ms Ronstadt, Carpenters,  various folk music in the past,  Holst, and Hayley Westernra, Jethro Tull,  various musicals.. But on the roads the radio is generally on classic FM. 

Mostly blue skies,  interrupted by the odd cloud,  with  light aircraft doing aerobatics or point to point navigation exercises..

Well the levelling didn't take long which was not a surprise as the ground had mostly been the dirt floor of the previous shed.  So 57 slabs,  that's 54 needed and three left overs placed where they will be useful, have been laid,  nothing fancy,  no concrete,  the slabs are to stop rats eating though the floor of the shed.  Slabs 18*18*1.5 inches.

Tomorrow a sheet of plastic will be laid on top,  then the shed floor. The numbers of slabs include an outer ring of slabs on three sides,  keeping the undergrowth away from the shed. 

This may not be the precision foundations of a muddling shed,  but it's predecessor was just a dirt and ash floor. 

I've just enjoyed a cheese and bacon toasty, this will be followed by a meal for minions, yellow  curving.. 

I will follow that by testing  ocular shutters. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This is a strange one, natural causes or suicide?

image.png.d18365b4b09b0538320a7d69940d8db3.png

If it happened in the last two months it would probably have been put down to Covid 19!

• Agree 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Barry O said:

Leopard..there is a story behind the two groups methinks. I left the Guild many years ago due to what was going on at Guildex.

Baz

What happened at Guildex?

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon. With the stress on “good”.  Many thanks for all the anniversarial felicitations which are all very much appreciated. 

A surprise just now as we take afternoon tea on the lawn was all the neighbours at the other end of the block singing me a Happy Birthday. I wasn’t aware that any of them knew and have no social media connections there.  Lovely. 

After lunch we walked around the Hill of Strawberries which is comfortably populous without being busy. Of note the golf course is open once more and populated by pairs instead of the more usual Sunday fourballs. 

I have taken active interest in the ten albums listed by others. My selection is by no means definitive nor is it necessarily my “top ten”.  There are very many worthy contenders which didn’t make the cut. Some have been listed by other ERs.  I have avoided “Various Artistes” compilations One album of note which isn’t in my ten is “Linda Ronstadt’s Duets” where she duets with numerous others to superb effect. The version of “Walk Away Renée” with Ann Savoy has me removing something from my eyes every time. 

Today’s offering is from the Australian band Colcannon. Extremely internet-shy and alad no longer with us since John Munro departed the stage of life so the best I can find is a download link and a single song video. 

http://colcannonstepitoutliveatthegovdownload.over-blog.com/2020/01/album-mp3-colcannon-step-it-out-live-at-the-gov-1998-free-album.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tF7McLN89Ac

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Have a great one, Rick.

I can't do a top ten albums, as I change as the tide comes in and out!

Some Slartybarfasting again, followed by some ballasting down the other end which is very 'Plywood Pacific' still, but this bit is coming on OK now.  Ballasting is 90% done so I am running out of excuses to get on with the 'dead' corner which is behind and to the left of the Paneer, it's hard to get to as well, so lightweight scenery on a removable base will be the order of the day methinks - as was the previous incarnation in the same place.

Paneer.jpg.22861afa213039e7afe56be50d85f689.jpg

If that's Forest, then you need sheep!

The same as any Welsh model, but without the accent see!

• Funny 15

4 hours ago, AndrewC said:

There is some rather frightening psychological manipulation that goes on behind those FB posts that have questions like that, or ones with 3 bananas = 30, etc. They are basically micro IQ tests to determine if/how to direct targeted advertising or political persuasion at the person that takes the “test”.

Get the correct answer and you are regarded as too intelligent and observant to be swayed by targeted advertising or manipulation. 

Get the answer that would be correct if the number of shoes or bananas in the bunch didn’t change and you are intelligent but not fully observant. You can be manipulated with subtle advertising. 

Get the wrong answer from the maths but correct observation, and you are less educated but observant. Directed advertising will be more direct but play to your lack of education. 

Wrong on all counts but close (as in you tried), you are a gullible twit and prime pickings. 

Totally backasswards and miles off, means you were taking the urine and your result gets tossed from the data harvesting. 

Fun eh. 

Well "gullible" isn't in the dictionary init?

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Don't worry.

Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift won't get you chucked off.

Chesney Hawkes might,  but he's the one and only..................

All three can take a long walk on a short pier as far as I am concerned although I might enjoy trying to save the two ladies!!!!!:devil:

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wot?! No Led Zeppilin (or did I miss it?)

The other one is Addinsell. I have his famous piece on a compilation CD with Rachmaninoff. One of the first CDs I bought last century IIRC.

It took a while to remember where it was but I did unearth my slip stick last night. A fine Swiss product from about 54 years ago. I imagine the demand for slide-rules must have dropped like a rock a few years later.

Speaking of Switzerland does anyone remember the typhoid outbreak in Zermatt? Around '63 I think.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Huckleberry pie I hope. 

42 is always the right answer to life the universe and everything. Of course you already knew that as you also know where your towel is. You’re a real hoopy Frood. 

No it's 27, the dimension of a layout crate in inches that will fit through a single door, for more useful.

Happy birthday to Rick.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

A surprise just now as we take afternoon tea on the lawn was all the neighbours at the other end of the block singing me a Happy Birthday. I wasn’t aware that any of them knew and have no social media connections there.  Lovely. 

I wonder if there is a secret RMweb member among them who reads ERs?  Maybe you could try a few magic passwords like P4 (on second thoughts probably not that one), or Hornby (too common perhaps?), or Bachmann?

• Like 4
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t know anything about Zermatt’s typhoid outbreak ( well in fact I didn’t but just read about it and it seems to have been the usual reasons) but Dad told me once he had been drinking from a tap “somewhere “ in Germany that was marked as drinking water when an army truck turned up and slapped a notice on it warning of typhoid. He was told he would be ok as he had drunk the water before the sign was attached. 

I remember it quite well probably because we were in holiday in Switzerland around that time then there was an outbreak in Aberdeen soon after that and we used to visit our cousins in Brechin quite often.

Edited by AndyID
Predict this!
  • Informative/Useful 10