The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

All three can take a long walk on a short pier as far as I am concerned although I might enjoy trying to save the two ladies!!!!!:devil:

What will you save them for? ^_^

• Funny 11

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Probably the most misleading of all statistical functions (calculations? what’s the correct term?) is arithmetic mean or average. Just a few outliers can seriously alter the average. I was taught that median is frequently the more useful tool.

Outliers can significantly impact the mean, but I find median to  be equally misleading. 

One of the most common uses of median is in things like "median home price". This is done precisely because of the outlier problem, (greatly exacerbated by high-end luxury homes), but in the case of home prices, it presents a 'rosy' (more affordable) view particularly if there is any bi-modality in the low-end versus high-end of the population (in the example the home market).

image.png.ea7708ef25273634e1d72c4e4f4db42b.png

Obviously these examples are contrived, but this sort of thing can be quite common.

Arguably as a single index they are both unreliable and other assessments like standard deviation, mode and a graphical representation of the data distribution are essential to better understand the data.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I had better work out my ten favourite singers, I don't have albums, and I will list the best songs from each, in my opinion. My first shot at a list had 19 acts so I need to reduce it but not sure how!

Ashley McBryde

Blake Shelton

Chase Rice

Chris Stapleton

Darius Rucker

Deanna Wheeler

Dixie Chicks

Highwomen

Jessica Lynn

Josh Turner

Katy Hurt

Lainey Wilson

Lauren Jenkins

Luke Combs

Miranda Lambert

Sarah Darling

Shania Twain

Tanya Tucker

Ward Thomas

I will go away and have a think about it!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

I give students this:

Enter on a spreadsheet and find the mean, median and mode:

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 11

Does it mean, that if these are test scores that 90% of the class has failed?

Or is the 11 a typo?

And outliers. I also give them exercises to find how much outliers affect the result. 

And I get fed up with hearing people say, without evidence "it's an outlier, we can ignore it."

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, Coombe Barton said:

I give students this:

Enter on a spreadsheet and find the mean, median and mode:

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 11

Does it mean, that if these are test scores that 90% of the class has failed?

Or is the 11 a typo?

And outliers. I also give them exercises to find how much outliers affect the result. 

And I get fed up with hearing people say, without evidence "it's an outlier, we can ignore it."

Oooo in stereo 

• Funny 8

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

What will you save them for? ^_^

26 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Certainly not singing!

Should we be so lucky to still be here and coherent twenty or so years from now, I think we will find that their music (or in particular that of Ms. Swift) will still be remembered fondly in much the same way that there are pop performers from each decade whose hits are fondly remembered even if it wasn't "cool" at the time.

Randomly:

60s The Mammas and the Papas, The Grass Roots, Dusty Springfield

70s ABBA

80s (girl or girl-fronted bands) Bangles, GoGos, Katrina and the Waves

90s No doubt, The Black-Eyed Peas

etc.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I'm also annoyed when PhD supervisors tell people to encode data numerically without justification. Favourite is when they encode males as 1 and females as 0.

Then I ask what the mean is.

Then I ask is that the score for average sex.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Funny 12

7 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Well I had better work out my ten favourite singers, I don't have albums, and I will list the best songs from each, in my opinion. My first shot at a list had 19 acts so I need to reduce it but not sure how!

Given your list Chris and the fact that Taylor Swift started out as a strictly 'country' performer in her very early career, I'm surprised at your initial reaction.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It's the "Y" chromosome count.

Yeah, but then spend bleedin' ages doing it, make mistakes when they could use =COUNT() or variants in Excel.

[EDIT] Preferably =COUNTIFS()

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Ashley McBryde

Blake Shelton

Chase Rice

Chris Stapleton

Darius Rucker

Deanna Wheeler

Dixie Chicks

Highwomen

Jessica Lynn

Josh Turner

Katy Hurt

Lainey Wilson

Lauren Jenkins

Luke Combs

Miranda Lambert

Sarah Darling

Shania Twain

Tanya Tucker

Ward Thomas

I will go away and have a think about it!

Hmmm, i only one on that list that i would even consider! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Given your list Chris and the fact that Taylor Swift started out as a strictly 'country' performer in her very early career, I'm surprised at your initial reaction.

I was not keen on her when she was country and recently she has done some new songs that are close to country but still not that keen although I would not turn the radio off when she is on.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Hmmm, i only one on that list that i would even consider! :biggrin_mini:

I am not surprised and I could add lots of others I enjoy like Steeleye Span, Dusty Springfield, ABBA, Supremes....... the list is endless and I also enjoy some classical music so I have just listed the ones I listen to most evenings on Spotify.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I am not surprised and I could add lots of others I enjoy like Steeleye Span, Dusty Springfield, ABBA, Supremes....... the list is endless and I also enjoy some classical music so I have just listed the ones I listen to most evenings on Spotify.

My first album on the list would be MY FAIR LADY, original Broadway cast in glorious mono. The rest of the list would vary according to my taste on the day that I compose the list.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A bit of alternative.

The question is, which one is New Bryford?

My nephew plays banjo and is very fond of bluegrass jazz fusion. When he was at university he liked to play in bands but there wasn’t much demand for banjo so he played bass. If the demand for GPs disappears he could always busk for a living. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

It might be best to avoid terms like “back-to-back” or “flange depth” :jester:

Birthday continues to go well with Messenger calls having been enjoyed with sister and family (learning in the process that Middle Nephew has ended 13 years of “making rich people richer” and is joining the NHS) and with friends in a very sunny Lostwithiel (which apparently remains Lost despite the nearby Gardens of Heligan now having been found).   

A bottle of Bordeaux was enjoyed and SWMBO has continued to provide food and dish-washing services throughout the day. 

Fully dressed for dinner. Warning - some may find white socks offensive! 

483C4037-EC31-4ACF-B807-694EC9B8BE04.jpeg

I'm definitely going colour blind. For a moment I thought this young gentleman was sporting the Ballater Victoria Week tartan.

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Fully dressed for dinner. Warning - some may find white socks offensive! 

Been said already and at risk of repetitive posts, happy birthday Rick!

Will your good lady accompany you with a tartan of her own?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1