The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Mike. I think the people partying in our road yesterday are clones of the,people you observed. 

There were a similar bunch round the corner from us on VE day.  A neighbour posted a video of them on a local news website and after 30 odd folk had commented (all adversely about people ignoring social distancing) on it the webmaster said it had to be taken down because it was creating discord. and was picking on people.  La la land!

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 10
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Today's addition to the 10 albums is a 1974 electronic epic.  Certainly not to everyone's taste but it represents an entire genre of music and remains one which I still enjoy quite frequently.  Without the need for any of the mind-altering substances which I was "advised" to try back in the 70s by the friends who introduced me to Tangerine Dream.  

You need to get your hands on Tangerine Dream, In Search of Hades. It contains a fantastic Steve Wilson remix as well as a whole second disk of additional unreleased material from the Phaedra recording session. 

As some of you know I'm a Big and I mean BIG Tangerine Dream fan. Current album count including the trees & leaves project is around 350. 

• Like 17

2 hours ago, 45156 said:

...Dark Side Of The Moon - Having heard it on my friend's £20,000 hi-fi, off a vinyl copy which is an original but has been kept pristine, there are things going on that I've never heard on any other system or source - it is utterly stunning - my CD copy is just on the plus side of mediocre by comparison...

I totally agree. The first time I heard Dark Side of the Moon was on a high end electronic manufacturer’s stand at the Fiera Di Bologna  When they most kindly allowed this then 16 year old spotty teenager to hear most of the quadraphonic vinyl pressing of Dark Side of the Moon on quadraphonic earphones (plugged into a very, very, very, expensive quadraphonic sound system that they were selling).  On a pristine, virgin-vinyl, pressing of Dark Side of the Moon played on a very high and sound system the album is just layers and layers on layers of amazing sound and music. TOTALLY THE DOG‘S DANGLIES!

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

..some of you know I'm a Big and I mean BIG Tangerine Dream fan. Current album count including the trees & leaves project is around 350. 

Wow, and I thought I was a fairly dedicated Tangerine Dream fan. But with only 60 of their albums, I am very much a dilettante, novice, Tangerine Dream enthusiast.

One of my favourite TD live albums is Poland, whilst Thief and the album which sets William Blake’s poetry to TD’s music (I forget the title) are my favourite studio albums 

Although TD have always been amazing, despite the changes in personnel (although I still prefer the Schmoelling, Froese, Franke line up [spelling?])

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If I were to conjure up names for the very nice lady and her two daughters (in their early 20s) who live next door I'd probably be arrested for something or other should the names escape my lips.

Now you have us all wondering what you have come up with for them!:devil:

• Agree 15

5 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

I wouldn't have said sorry, no reason to.

Those of a sensitive nature, stop reading!

Reminds of an 'occurence' with a woman (I couldn't use the term lady due to the verbal which was forthcoming) for whom I held open a door. I was lambasted for being patronising and condescending; my riposte was that I held the door open, as I would for anyone,  because I was polite and not just because she had a pair of t!ts. Game set and match, slam dunked in her own stylee. :)

Had one of those; said "I hope you are not holding the door because I am a woman" I replyed "Are you" and walked off

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...snip...

High Tide Green Grass, The Strolling Bones

...snip...

Jamie

I have that one but just for a song or two. I believe that it might have released with several different versions/album covers/titles as my version has slightly different artwork than others I have seen, although  the track listing/order is the same.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AndrewC said:

...snip...

The one hotel. (Singel Hotel) refused to allow a rebook, refund, or voucher, despite pressure from Captain Obvious. 235€ wasted, as the hotel is open and taking bookings but we have no way to get there. ...snip...

If you paid with a credit card,try working through them to get the charges reversed. Just a thought.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...snip...

As for those big US diseasals I can tell a Jeep from an SD and if it isn't a PA or a PB I'm not over interested in the 'covered wagon' generation but I do like Class 59s which are in many respects a sort of descendant with their car body appearance although they're a shrunken SD underneath.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

I believe that the 59 is basically an SD40-2 wearing a different dress to the ball. The 40-2 was/is a very successful design; some are still in service with the big railroads (I occasionally see them here on the NS), a lot have entered the secondary market on shortlines and regional carriers.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7

7 hours ago, Shedman5 said:

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. 

It's funny how often this court case comes up. This is so often presented as a example of frivolous law suits run amok but people often change their minds when they are exposed to the facts of the case and the policies and procedures of the corporation are examined. (I know I did.)

In the original case, (Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants, 1994), Stella Liebeck was 79 years old and suffered third degree burns in her pelvic region. She was hospitalized for eight days and required skin grafting. (She would die about 12 years later at 91.) The argument made by her legal representation is that there was no reason for the coffee to be deliberately served scalding hot (82–88 °C) when it was intended for immediate consumption. The combination of the serving temperature and the environment of being served through the drive through window was dangerous. 

The trial discovered that:

Other documents obtained from McDonald's showed that from 1982 to 1992 the company had received more than 700 reports of people burned by McDonald's coffee to varying degrees of severity, and had settled claims arising from scalding injuries for more than $500,000.

The case revolved around McDonald's policies willfully demonstrating conscious irresponsibility toward customers' safety. It gained notoriety because of the original, large jury award, but everyone seems to forget that the judge reduced the award to $640,000. (Medical damages were $160,000.)

An interesting note in the Wikipedia page is the following:

The New York Times noted how the details of Liebeck's story lost length and context as it was reported worldwide.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 15