The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Top 10 albums, in no particular order:

Revolver - Beatles

South of I-10 - Sonny Landreth

Animal Tracks - Animals

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac

Roses In The Snow - Emmylou Harris

Car Wheels On A Gravel Road - Lucinda Williams

Land of Dreams - Randy Newman

Come On Come On - Mary Chapin Carpenter

Fifth Dimension - Byrds

The Mountain - Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band

plus lots more tied at number 11!

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

This version makes Bach's toccata come in second!  The organist looks a bit Lenin-esque but obviously knows his instrument.  Great recording; turn up the volume and let the speakers rattle!:clapping_mini:

Brian.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I am amused by people on RMWeb who should know better expounding on how things (which have been in use for 30 years or so) won't work...

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Albums.

I'm not a fan of albums. I tend to prefer individual songs and collect "best of / greatest hits" compilations rather than the traditional album format.

The most ground-breaking album is always said to be "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band" largely because of its impact on how albums are assembled. Now I love the Beatles, and every song on it is magnificent, but were I ensconced on a desert island and forced to listen to this over and over again I'd be fixing a hole where my brains get out (after having bashed my head in). 

I was pleased to see "Tommy" (The Who) and "Hotel California" (The Eagles) on people's lists. As an album, I would suggest "Rumors" (Fleetwood Mac) as belonging on a list of great albums.

My personal problem with compiling an album list is by restricting yourself to albums, you miss out on so many good songs by the artists you like that are not on their "best" album.

• Like 16
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I believe that the 59 is basically an SD40-2 wearing a different dress to the ball. The 40-2 was/is a very successful design; some are still in service with the big railroads (I occasionally see them here on the NS), a lot have entered the secondary market on shortlines and regional carriers.

CSX have been rebuilding a few as SD40-3 (a similar upgrade is for the GP40-2 to -3 spec).

They have acquired the nickname "Spongebob" because of the new square cabs.

Very distinctive and the odd one turns up through Ashland on the Railcam.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

Like many others, I have an eclectic taste in music. Partly passed onto Junior NB as one of her favourite tracks is 19 years older than her and I had it played as a request on the Simon Mayo Friday request show 2 1/2 years ago as she ended her teenage years....

The song - Teenage Kicks by The Undertones.

Anyway back to my top ten albums which will change direction like the wind.

So I'm only going to list one.

"Kick" by INXS.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Albums. ...snip...

I was pleased to see "Tommy" (The Who) and "Hotel California" (The Eagles) on people's lists. As an album, I would suggest "Rumors" (Fleetwood Mac) as belonging on a list of great albums.

One group that I am surprised that did not show up on anyone's listing was CCR (I may have missed it), I like most of their stuff. Another that I may have missed is the Doors, I like some of their stuff, too.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I tend to prefer individual songs and collect "best of / greatest hits" compilations

I absolutely agree.  I took my lead from a current trend going the rounds of the antisocial media where the "thing" is simply ten albums which have had a profound effect upon you.  No reason, no fixed order.

I could include many more and I could include compilations but I chose not to.  I could also list a good many individual songs where - even if they appear on an album which not all do - the rest of that album drags the one song too far down.  

Across my selection of ten I aim to be diverse, diverge sometimes from the mainstream and span the years.  John Peel was mentioned above and I have recounted here previously my one and only meeting with him whilst engaged in filming one of the pub bands I then followed.  I remain friends with their former lead singer who is still an active musician.  My musical education and enjoyment would have been the poorer without having discovered Peel's shows - often late at night and somewhat tucked away as a "minority taste" yet always championing the lesser-heard and deserving-but-unsigned acts.  Without him I may never have come across Guana Batz, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Fourteen Iced Bears or Half Man Half Biscuit.  And had I not house-shared with a bunch of punk musicians I may have never dared venture into the realms of Toy Dolls.

Now - what to listen to as I doze off and bid farewell to Monday?  Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle?  

Good night all.  Sleep safe and well.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 19

As we’re still listing our favourite albums here my top ten in no particular order.

All the best -stiff little fingers

parallel lines -blondie

wreck less Eric-wreckless eric

Baby’s got a gun-the only ones

native sons - the long ryders

hatful of hollow - the smiths

never mind the here’s the-sex pistols

Dirty old town- The pogues

fresh fruit for rotting vegetables -Dead Kennedy’s

germ free adolescences- X Ray Spex 
Not to everyone’s taste but mine.

Had a pleasant day taking Syd for a walk. 
Hope everyone else managed a pleasant day.

Good night 

ROBERT

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

One group that I am surprised that did not show up on anyone's listing was CCR

One of my “number 11s” was ‘Blue Moon Swamp’ by John Fogerty.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Now you have us all wondering what you have come up with for them!:devil:

To use a rather old fashioned expression i think it can be said that all three are rather comely examples of the female gender.

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I believe that the 59 is basically an SD40-2 wearing a different dress to the ball. The 40-2 was/is a very successful design; some are still in service with the big railroads (I occasionally see them here on the NS), a lot have entered the secondary market on shortlines and regional carriers.

Officially it is a JT26CW-SS based on the SD40-2 but with certain SD50 features such as the the latter's type of  'super creep' control (which when it cuts in feels rather like the sort of ride you'd get sitting on angle grinder) and I think the main traction alternator is the type used in the SD50 although it uses a variant of the E series 645 engine as used in the SD40-2.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

I am surprised that did not show up on anyone's listing was CCR

The first record I purchased was Cosmo’s Factory. The in crowd who controlled access to the sixth form record player did not approve.  

• Like 9
  • Funny 6

17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The first record I purchased was Cosmo’s Factory. 

I have long enjoyed CCR, though John Fogerty's enunciation of lyrics leaves much to be desired.

He is responsible for many misheard lyrics. "There's a bathroom on the right" (bad moon on the rise) is one of the more famous.

The local "classic rock" station had a call in segment to have listeners complete a line from a short CCR clip.

"Dinosaur Victrola list'nin' to Buck Owens" from "Lookin' Out My Back Door" was one of many. Without liner notes it's very difficult to discern.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I've just noticed: isn't that a "Superstrat"or a "Frankenstrat" hanging on the wall in the backgroud?

It's a Dean Vendetta with a custom paint job I gave it in the Bayern flag pattern. I used many, many coats of automotive lacquer, wet sanded between each coat, and then applied eight coats of clear over that. The pickups are Symour Duncan SH-1 and SH-2 and the hardware is Gotoh and Schaller.

I know, I spent more on one pickup than the cost of the guitar! It was a cheapie alright, but amazingly enough, it plays quite well and intonation is spot on. I wouldn't have expected that from a $100 guitar.

It doesn't get played much as I prefer my Epiphone LP 1960 Tribute Plus.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I have long enjoyed CCR, though John Fogerty's enunciation of lyrics leaves much to be desired.

He is responsible for many misheard lyrics. "There's a bathroom on the right" (bad moon on the rise) is one of the more famous.

The local "classic rock" station had a call in segment to have listeners complete a line from a short CCR clip.

"Dinosaur Victrola list'nin' to Buck Owens" from "Lookin' Out My Back Door" was one of many. Without liner notes it's very difficult to discern.

I assumed that the band all had swampy origins but I eventually learned they were all Californian. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2