The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

36 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I'm not entirely sure that Dark Side if the Moon is my cup of tea. Although friends wax lyrical about it and have gone to a local planetarium where you lie back, listen, to the album and gaze at a psychedelic video. 

Of course there's always the "dark side of the rainbow" / "the wizard of floyd" where you listen to "Dark Side of the Moon" while watching "The Wizard of Oz". They are supposedly in sync somehow.

Never done it, not interested, but it's a thing. I suspect it is something that happens to people who have listened to "Dark Side of the Moon" too many times. Intoxicating substances might be involved.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Afternoon all,

Happy birthday Sherry.

Now to the werirdos of o Oregon who being next door to Idaho are presumably equipped with the reasoning power of the average potato.  At times it's bad enough living in this land of brain dead idiots but in the US0fA it must be even worse in some States, and there the nutters have got guns :blink:

Naughty Mike, insulting spuds.

Birthday greetings Sherry

• Like 14

4 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Heck, the people at Gaugemaster are on the ball. Ordered some decoders and a G-Scale Covered Van online at 12noon today and few minutes ago got an email from UPS saying that the package will be delivered tomorrow!

Many thanks JohnDMJ, please extend my thanks to your colleagues when you have a chance. One happy bunny here.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. Thanks will be conveyed to my colleagues at 'the pit face'.

I have also copied the text to

Edited by JohnDMJ
Linking
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

As some of my neighbours can’t seem to exist in the garden without endless music, I’m declaring myself to be a Monastery.

There will be regular sung prayers, starting tomorrow

Matins at 2am, Lauds at 5am and Prime at 6am should do it.

As it has to be socially distanced i will just fling open the doors and perform with whatever backing tracks I can find.

[EDIT] Colleague has suggested a drum kit.

Personally I find Bagpipes have a certain "edge" over drums....

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

He later went on to play guitar in a band that were big enough to support Offspring on the UK leg of a tour.

Who??

Today I was somewhat amazed to learn that Wickes offer "Order today for delivery tomorrow".  So I spent bl00dy hours creating an order (on and off, adding bits as they came to me), and also asked my next door neighbour (+ wife....) if there was anything he needed, and also my mate over the road.  One hundred and seventy quid later (which gave the added advantage of free delivery (which I wasn't aware of, and wouldn't have got without mates' interventions) I got to the payment and delivery page.....

Oh yes, next day delivery is actually next day + 2 weeks.

And I fell for it.  Double Turdycurses.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I began this mornings shed building by dropping the bag of nuts and bolts.  Because the damp proof membrane is already down,  I didn't lose any,  but I did spend some time crawling around picking them up. 

You need a magnet on a stick and a poly bag :)

We need pictures of this structure......... 

• Like 4
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...snip..."Dinosaur Victrola list'nin' to Buck Owens" from "Lookin' Out My Back Door" was one of many. Without liner notes it's very difficult to discern.

Several lyrics sources give "Dinosaur Victrola" as the correct words:

"There's a giant doin' cartwheels
A statue wearin' high heels.
Look at all the happy
Creatures dancin' on the lawn.
Dinosaur Victrola
List'nin' to Buck Owens.
Doo, doo, doo

Lookin' out my back door."

All these years and I was imagining different words. In fact I am spinning Cosmo's Factory now as I type just to verify my memory. Another one that I mis-heard all these years (until just now!) and thought that the words were "flyin' swoose" :

Tambourines and elephants
Are playin' in the band.
Won't you take a ride
On the flyin' spoon?
Dood, 'n', doo, doo.
Wond'rous apparition
Provided by magician.

Doo, doo, doo
Lookin' out my back door.

Another day of learning something! Non train related on a train forum!!! :yahoo_mini::yahoo_mini:

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Won't you take a ride
On the flyin' spoon?

Which I long interpreted as a drug reference with all the other psychedelic references in the song. 

Plenty of them in those days, though the argument over "Puff the magic dragon" remains. Personally I am in the "not a drug reference camp". It's not Yarrow/Stookey/Travers' milieu.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

O ...snip...Wikipedia includes ZZ Top as a southern rock band. I would consider ZZ Top more as a blues based band).

...snip...

iD

What we now call Blues had some of its origins in the Mississippi Delta; in fact, some of the very early delta blues recordings (78s, some are acoustic recordings) are quite rare and extremely valuable. So one could think of ZZ Top as a southern rock based blues band or maybe the opposite. BTW, I have never knowingly listened to any ZZ Top! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AndrewC said:

One of the b*ggers tries to sing while working. He has managed to shatter all of our Tupperware. Maybe some Black Sabbath at 11 will help. <evil barsteward mode>

War Pigs at 0130 might be more effective.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. After yesterdays exertions I'm cream crackered. I still have one ant hill to dispose of problem is that its almost all clay and with the lack of rain its like concrete. Hopefully theres going to be some rain on Thursday so I'm just going to open the top to let the rain in and if that doesn't work add some more water and let it soak in. Disposal is not a problem as theres plenty of room in hole left by a rotted out tree stump.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

The thermometer reached 26C this afternoon and the same is predicted for tomorrow.  If this is summer all I need is a sandy beach!!!  

Around the Hill of Strawberries the locals have been sunbathing in their finest bathing attire whilst their tiny humans run around enjoying the weather.  The slightly-older humans who can sensibly understand what is going on are face-masked and kept under a little more control.  

We are rapidly becoming an island of humanity in a sea of empty flats.  It is student moving-out time anyway, lurgy or not, since they would have finished their summer term and most exams by now.  This coming weekend would have been Spring Ball which marks the end of term and - for many - the end of their university days.  Not this year.  Most have had to pack bags and leave early for home not knowing what the future holds, what grade they might be "averaged" nor what their futures hold.  The few remaining are leaving us this weekend which will mean we are one of just three occupied flats at this end of the block and with six empties.  Voids in housing management speak.  When I learned housing management the void rate was never supposed to exceed 2% if we were to remain within budget.  If it ever got to 66.7% the Chief Housing Officer would have had apoplexy and the humble officers might have found themselves to be ex-officers.  That hasn't been my problem for many years now.  

Tonight I present number seven of the ten albums I selected.  I hinted yesterday (I think it was) that this band was on my favoured list and here they are.  Gems such as "I left my heart in Papworth General", "All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit" and the blatant Brian Cant rip off of "Trumpton Riots" and "Time Flies By" defined a creative and influential band who were favourites of mine and of the late John Peel who I have to thank for being introduced to them.   Welcome to Half Man, Half Biscuit.  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which I long interpreted as a drug reference with all the other psychedelic references in the song. 

Plenty of them in those days, though the argument over "Puff the magic dragon" remains. Personally I am in the "not a drug reference camp". It's not Yarrow/Stookey/Travers' milieu.

When you mention "Puff the magic dragon" I think more of this rather than drugs:

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2015/08/06/the-ac-130-gunship-and-the-vietnam-war/

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' awl and Happy Birthday to Sherry.

Regarding influential albums, here are 10 of those that made a big impression on me from age 16 in 1964 up to the early 70s and helped form my tastes in music.

Back Country Blues,   Brownie McGhee & Sonny Terry

Freewheeling,    Bob Dylan

Steam Whistle Ballads,  Ewan McColl

Saucerful of Secrets,   Pink Floyd    

Da Capo,   Love

Bluesbreakers, John Mayall with Eric Clapton

Mad Shadows,   Mott the Hoople

Who's Next,   The Who

Wheatstraw Suite,   The Dillards

Sandy,   Sandy Denny

On a different day I might list some others, such as Astral Weeks by Van Morrison, Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service, Yeti by Amon Duul II, Unhalfbricking by Fairport (or their first album), The Young Tradition.....

Stay elfy,

Pete

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Around the Hill of Strawberries the locals have been sunbathing in their finest bathing attire whilst their tiny humans run around enjoying the weather.  The slightly-older humans who can sensibly understand what is going on are face-masked and kept under a little more control.  

Local TV has been running a puff piece of an Italian designer's "trikini". A matching bikini and face covering (non-surgical mask) in the same patterned material. A quick search shows it's all over the web like a rash.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

What we now call Blues had some of its origins in the Mississippi Delta; in fact, some of the very early delta blues recordings (78s, some are acoustic recordings) are quite rare and extremely valuable. So one could think of ZZ Top as a southern rock based blues band or maybe the opposite. BTW, I have never knowingly listened to any ZZ Top! :biggrin_mini:

Some of ZZ Top is great.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

...snip...  Jefferson Airplane ...snip...

Grace Slick could really belt out a tune; my favorite being "White Rabbit". And she did not need "Autotune" either!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 7
  • Agree 7