The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Had a pleasant surprise this morning, my monthly pharmacy prescription was delivered by a ppe-equipped guy from EDF.

Normally I request my prescription on EMI-access (as I did on Monday) and collect the prescription the following week from the local branch of Lloyds Pharmacy with is adjacent to the doctor's surgery. As I'm only a five minute walk away from the surgery/pharmacy I have no problem collecting the prescription in person. Only problem is nowadays I might have to wait up to 30 minutes to get into the pharmacy.

I phoned the pharmacy this morning to thank them for having delivered the prescription and, after getting over the shock over having someone call them to say thankyou, they explained that they had been authorised to work with EDF and will be delivering future prescriptions for the length of the duration. 

Regarding Marmite etc. I'm definitely into Marmite (especially with dripping on toast) , detest peanut butter but can eat peanuts although prefer cashew nuts.

Week or so ago  there was talk about the AK47. This is the only weapon that I have held and fired:

AK47Saigon.jpg.bd8634f5463d36ba9a44a06d0ba3ecca.jpg

The picture was taken at the Saigon Police Firing Range back in 1968/69 when I was taken there by a couple of American guys in CDF (Community Development Foundation) but rumoured to be part of the CIA.

The only other time I handled a firearm was during the Red Guard riots in 1967 in Hong Kong when, as a member of the Marine Division of the Hong Kong Auxiliary Police (before they became the Royal HKAP), we were mobilised one day when there was trouble on the border. Think that we were the only division of the HKAP that were not normally armed but in this case we were given a handgun and 5 bullets. Not having had much training in firearms the handgun went in one pocket and the bullets went in the other pocket.

The Red Guard riots were the cause of me being moved from Hong Kong as when we were mobilised I was spending more time marine policing (despite not being able to swim!) than banking. The only way to get me out of the HKAP was to transfer me out of Hong Kong and bring in a replacement.... so they transferred me to Saigon where I arrived just after the Tet Offensive.  Interesting times!!

Keith

That looks like an M-14 Scout but with most of the stock cut away into a pistol grip.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MichaelE said:

That looks like an M-14 Scout but with most of the stock cut away into a pistol grip.

I think the one on the ground might be an AK 47 with no magazine. 
When my brother was working in Lahore he couldn’t go out and had to sit on the floor of his hotel room due to fighting between two militia factions. One had  Russian weapons and the other lot had American weaponry . 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

18 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Tommy by Rudyard Kipling

I WENT into a public 'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, " We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, go away " ;
But it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's " Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' " Tommy, wait outside ";
But it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's " Special train for Atkins " when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap.
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, fall be'ind,"
But it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's " Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Chuck him out, the brute! "
But it's " Saviour of 'is country " when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An 'Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

iD

Thank you, Flavio.  That poem and the other Barrack Room Ballads was set to music by the late and sadly missed Peter Bellamy.  He had a prolonged battle with Kipling's estate whose trustees were not at all keen on the idea.  There are those who believe, me included, that Kipling intended them to be sung.

Chris

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Haven't managed to backread at all, and also had to skip a few pages again.  Generic greetings are, of course, on offer to all ERs.

Not a lot to report here, but the hills do appear to be getting a bit less steep.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

The forecast promised a thunderstorm and rain so as usual it has been hot, sunny and cloud free. I stopped bothering with weather forecasts when Mr Fish said there would not be a hurricane and I woke up the next morning to lots of trees lying down! Best way of knowing the weather is to look out the window and if you need to know the temperature open the door and stand outside for a short time. 

SWMBO had her walk, longer than yesterday but again it was the heat and not her replacement hip that caused her to get a lift in her wheelchair back home with me pushing. 

Grilled bacon and scrambled egg was enjoyed for breakfast and I have some chicken breasts to cook for our evening meal. She has an iced coffee and I have a cold milk to drink at present. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Another cultural evening beckons. Last night it was “Nora” a ballet based on Ibsen Dolls House characters with music by Philip Glass. I have never knowingly seen or read any Ibsen and haven’t heard anything by Philip Glass before. 
Tonight will be “Streetcar Named Desire” with Gillian Anderson.  I have see a film version of that but the film is older than I am. 
Tony

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

'Tis bleddy hot here.

Some time spent in The Shed and I've started unpacking some of the locos  that have been in storage for several months.  Still got a lot more to do though.

Car was serviced and everything OK and on picking it up found they'd cleaned it inside and out and all touchable surfaces like steering wheel, gear lever, radio, switches, door handles and key sanitised.  No charge either, well not quite as I pay a monthly service charge but a least I didn't have to fork out anything today.

Tonight there will be clapping followed by  a socially distant (over the fence) drink or three with our next door neighbours as it's Ali's birthday.  In normal times there would have been a party at the weekend.

Soon be time for a beer.  Very soon!  Like now!  :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think the one on the ground might be an AK 47 with no magazine. 

OK, that's possible, we did change around equipment. What I do remember is that I was most accurate with the AK47

Keith

• Like 11