The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It is rather warm and there is no breeze tonight. I suspect it won’t rain. 
The play tonight was quite intense. There was music at scene changes but it wasn’t Judy Garland.

I notice that grub screws have been mentioned. I remember losing them from loco gearboxes years ago when I assembled locos rather than bought them. So when I recently started playing with slot cars again and noticed just how many tiny grub screws are used I purchased a few bags from eBay. Now I have lots I probably won’t lose any. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The discussion on crime and punishment, delivered with such conviction, (pun intended) reminds me why it is such a good thing that we don't indulge ourselves in politics (overmuch) here.

There have been sailings close to the wind on controversial subjects here perhaps at the discretion of the mods.  We may appear to be a well educated fairly well off group, the ones that usually keep out of controversy, but like anyone else, probably have darker thoughts on the more  and more serious problems that plague (that one too!) our society.  Luckily we seem to tolerate others thoughts and feelings which may be quite unlike our own but hopefully get our point across without causing the mayhem found on lesser sites.  It would be nice to discuss our real thoughts and feelings but in today's society and environment there are so many that are off limits, it would be most impracticable.

Brian.

• Like 15
  • Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Simon G said:

I was rather delayed in this walk by stopping to watch the bats flying around the house.  They really are fascinating to see.

I have to admit I was tempted to make a cheap comment about a belfry but I thought better of it :)

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

General sentencing guidelines are here - this indicates a reduction of one third for a guilty plea

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/overarching-guides/crown-court/item/reduction-in-sentence-for-a-guilty-plea-first-hearing-on-or-after-1-june-2017/

Thanks for pointing out my % error there.

In mitigation I had recently been looking into various min/max sentencing parameters and also the statute of limitations as it affects differing severity of offences. In particular TWOKing and what might be deemed the average sentence for such.. there was also the the difference between youth sentencing and adult sentencing where the former does allow for upwards of 50% in sentencing reductions.

Obviously I then suffered a case of thumb up b*m and mind in neutral when I started on my earlier prattles.

I'm getting more of a Silly Old Buffer on a daily basis. WOT!

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Got a bit more modelling done this afternoon and had bacon and eggs for dinner followed by an Eccles cake from Fordhall Farm.

We've had stuff from Fordhall in the past, and I would concur with Dave's appraisal.  All their products are excellent.

Due to the distance away from the Muddy Hollow, it only tends to be visited if we are passing by.

Looking at the time I'd better drop into Waupaca on the VR Youtube channel as the local may be shunting the foundry.

Foraging later.

I'll bid you all good morning.

• Like 18

Still distinctly hill-billy here. Likely to drop down to around 4C tonight. Well below freezing and some snow likely on the mountain passes. Mind you it's not all that unusual. Some years ago I went skiing this late in May.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 6

4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Anyway things got done yesterday and the pool got emptied, the last couple of inches by hand baling with s plastic bucket, plastic dustpan and finally a mop. Several small holes were found in the bottom so today I'm off to try and buy a new liner.

We had an in-ground swimming pool in Arizona. It was OK for a few of years then then it became a total PITA :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

16 minutes ago, AndyID said:

We had an in-ground swimming pool in Arizona. It was OK for a few of years then then it became a total PITA :)

Even maintaining the proper chemistry for a hot tub is a lot of work, and that's before the occasional deep clean. They are nice though on a cold clear night. Even on a rainy night.

Once upon a time (many years ago) my other half maintained it. These days I did not want to commit to that level of effort for the occasional return. My neighbours have a whole wing dedicated to their swim spa. 

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Everyone that I know who has a swimming pool spends stupid amounts of money keeping it clean and not going green. Indoors is the only way but that is a whole different level of initial cost.

I rather like the solution that some friends in Somerset have adopted, a large hot tub with a current that you can swim against.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I notice that grub screws have been mentioned. I remember losing them from loco gearboxes years ago when I assembled locos rather than bought them. So when I recently started playing with slot cars again and noticed just how many tiny grub screws are used I purchased a few bags from eBay.

Purely out of interest you understand (and nothing whatsoever to do with modelling, especially 4mm Locos)  what thread do such grub screws usually use - Metric or BA?  Or something else?  Seems like a sensible idea to have a few spares....

47 minutes ago, chrisf said:

There was no angry letter to Currys after all.  Instead I spoke to a member of staff who explained that they are all working from home.  That would go some way towards explaining the disconnected phone calls.  Helpfully, the guy advised me to buy my lead from somewhere like Wilkos.  I did, and saved myself a few £.  Currys can sort out the part-completed transaction for themselves.

Going back many years now (20+?) my friends over the road (now sadly no longer with us :( ) purchased some sort of clever box that hooks up to the telly (recorder, player, decoder type of thingummyjig IIRC) from Curry's.  The salesman convinced them that a "special SCART Lead that was oxygen free (WTF) with gold plated pins was essential with this particular item, and of course not included in the box".  An extra seventy-odd quid later for the lead.....

Personally, I've never had a problem those from Poundland.

• Like 10
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

a large hot tub with a current that you can swim against

That's what is called a swim spa here.

You can have that installed in a swimming pool too, but I expect it is quite expensive.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This was the "monster cable" pitch.  Website here.

A (cable?) supplier in (I think) Oz was so p*ssed off that customers were being ripped off for scart leads that he posted them out to anyone that asked for them, free of charge....

• Like 17