The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

No chance for me then with 48 Bulleid light pacifics plus many other Southern region locos. 

There's hope for you yet. Those Bulleid contraptions ran on the withered arm and shared western territory with the "Great" appellation. How about an Exeter St. David's layout?

I'm an equal* opportunity fan of all things western, be it LSWR, S&DJR or GWR.

* Well not exactly "equal" but I do possess a number of Southern items, including some Bulleid light pacifics. I am a fan of the "as built" Merchant Navy locomotives.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

* Well not exactly "equal" but I do possess a number of Southern items, including some Bulleid light pacifics. I am a fan of the "as built" Merchant Navy locomotives.

Re-built Merchant Navy = Poor man's Britannia

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There's hope for you yet. Those Bulleid contraptions ran on the withered arm and shared western territory with the "Great" appellation. How about an Exeter St. David's layout?

Exeter Central would be my chosen model but its way to big even in N scale. Before the Victorian warehouse adjoining our boundary was deemolished over ten years ago, I often thought how it would make a superb home for a Withered Arm large layout in OO scale with scale models of all the key stations but using Exmouth station as  'Waterloo'.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Exeter Central would be my chosen model but its way to big even in N scale. Before the Victorian warehouse adjoining our boundary was deemolished over ten years ago, I often thought how it would make a superb home for a Withered Arm large layout in OO scale with scale models of all the key stations but using Exmouth station as  'Waterloo'.

There have been quite a few models of Exeter Central including one N scale one (can't remember which club) that was to scale and included everything. Such a great location to model with splitting/joining trains, restaurant cars to detach, and banking locomotives. Still quite compact by comparison with some of the stations being modelled these days.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...The partisan divide on non-political questions like "how quickly do you think the US will recover economically" are dramatic. Pew Research recently conducted a survey on trust in medical scientists and scientists in general. There is a stark partisan divide in the results.

science.PNG.4d88e94d139186473e747df8bc72f02a.PNG

I find data from Pew (who break down demographics in many dimensions, including education, political affiliation, age and religious affiliation) quite fascinating. It is insightful.

This makes me think of a quote (I forget from whom or from where) which went along the lines of “Americans are neither cleverer or more stupid than the rest of the world. They are, however, educated into ignorance” A statement, I believe, that has more than a ring of truth to it.

I lived in the US for a while and saw at first hand how open, warm hearted and generous Americans can be. It’s amazing how much Americans put into their communities - volunteering to do things such as helping in hospitals, manning [sorry, personning] fire departments and ambulance services, rescuing animals, making sure - in winter - that the pavements in front of their properties are free of ice and snow, etc. etc. Many of which being things (e.g. [volunteer] fire departments) considered to be - in many places in Europe - something the “state should and must take care of”. But in regards to the world around us (cultural, geographical, political, social) if you go “off-piste” and address topics outside of a fairly limited frame of reference, you can be met with blank looks. Ironically, I probably know more about Richmond VA, than the average American knows about Richmond upon Thames.

If you know where to look, there are some interesting parallels with Imperial Rome!
iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite breezy here, some cloud but isn’t raining. Our front lawn is turning brown. We don’t water the grass, it will survive. 
I had a strange delivery last night. I was expecting a parcel,from Amazon (oil for lubricating electric razor cutters) but there was a second parcel too. This was for a can of spray paint I had ordered from eBay that was due next week. It had an Amazon label in an Amazon cardboard pack delivered by Amazon. I hadn’t ordered it from Amazon as it was very expensive there. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Belated Good Morning!

12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

What's going to happen to retail and tourism?

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2020/05/22/less-summer/

I offer this from The Railway Gazette. The Air France check-in for Bruxelles to Paris flights has, for many years, been at Bruxelles Midi station!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning all,

still very windy here today and likely to stay that way all day.  The horses in the sea are still pretty white.  A little work on the layout has been done, ie making a shelf for the control panel and controllers to sit on and then attaching it to the layout.  This is necessarily rather slow, as I am having to wait for glue to dry and set.

Mrs G was not a happy bunny yesterday as she tried to sort out a National Savings and Investment account online, only to get a message saying that she couldn’t do it online.  A one hour phone call followed, with zero success at the end of it, as she waited in a queue for 30 minutes, and was then passed from person to person.  They messed up the password she had set, then while they were supposedly getting close to sorting it, a system failure meant that she couldn’t do it.  They suggested calling back next week!  What really wound her up was that I had just gone online and waltzed easily through the process and got my NS&I account fully sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Traitor what about the MSWJR, Intruders from Midland, LSWR and GWR regularly, there was even a, loco from GE with its carriages.. 

• Like 12
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning, wild wet and windy again, so the "G" word maybe of the indoor variety today and maybe some running of things on parallel bits of metal. Talking of which, how can any railway be run without something from that nice Nigel Gresley's stable of things that breathe fire and smoke? ( I am seriously thinking of ways to resurrect a Great Central model that can run locos from pretty much every region, as it did in the late 1950's early 1960's).

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

This weekend I should have been in Hayle, Cornwall, demonstrating weathering at their MRC's two-day exhibition.  At 07.30 I should have collected SWMBO off the overnight sleeper from London she having come from her lectureship at the university of Cambridge.  

Cambridge cancelled some time ago.  Hayle has managed to set up a "virtual exhibition" on You Tube (albeit I have magically become "Dave" :O  in the blurb) which for a small regional club is very creditworthy.  

Instead we find ourselves back at the Hill of Strawberries thanks to something too small to see yet doing harm too large to comprehend.  

At least we have a bright if blowy morning and as soon as Muggertee No.2 is down the hatch I shall busy myself with some of the G-word.  A good sleep was had and it is now time to get about the business of the day.  

For anyone interested - those with awls, excess personal aromatics and large unruly backpacks need not apply ;) 

• Like 19

Although I'm not from Yorkshire, the language is catching/  "OW MUCH!!!???"

I was just searching for lamb recipes as there's some in the freezer, bought reduced from Sainsbury's. I came across this. Think I'll pass and use my usual supplier.

WTF!!!!???? It's more than eighty quid a kilo!!!

Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 10.35.57.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Sunny here but the wind has picked up again and it's quite blustery, but not as bad as yesterday. I'm currently in the workshop about to start connecting everything up on the turntable. I may be some time. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning,  Sunshine here but strong winds still prevail, leaves all over the place but no point in clearing up as they are forecast to be present until late tomorrow night.

The shed needs a bit of a tidy up and then I will clean the tracks and run some trains I think.

Why?  

For is it not written “those who can, do; those who can’t, teach and those that can do neither go into HR” 

As I spent a spell as European HR Director for a large pharmaceutical company that quote is a load of bulls**t  along the lines that any Dr who works for a Pharma company is a failed medic who cannot relate to patients and has low interpersonal skills.

We all have our opinions sometimes its best to keep them to oneself.

Moving on  enjoy the rest of the day and be safe

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9