The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now a nice little quiz question for KZ, part of the clue is in the precise wording of the question, so here goes - 'Glasgow has had one twice, Bristol has had one twice, but Exeter has only had one once.  What is it?'

Mike,  I might be on a different quiz, but I have Glasgow and Bristol with two each and Exeter with four, albeit one is rather distant and might be discounted.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Mike,  I might be on a different quiz, but I have Glasgow and Bristol with two each and Exeter with four, albeit one is rather distant and might be discounted.

Bill

Bill I believe you may be on a very different quiz ;)     And if you're thinking in the context I suspect you are thinking of you would have to go a long way back to get the 4 at Exeter would you not?  But I do think that viewed in a contemporary context the 4th would qualify,  assuming, of course,  that I am thinking about what you are thinking about).   All of which amounts to a second quiz question should anybody else be so inclined.   The respective numbers I gave in my original question are absolutely correct.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Bill I believe you may be on a very different quiz ;)     And if you're thinking in the context I suspect you are thinking of you would have to go a long way back to get the 4 at Exeter would you not?  But I do think that viewed in a contemporary context the 4th would qualify,  assuming, of course,  that I am thinking about what you are thinking about).   All of which amounts to a second quiz question should anybody else be so inclined.   The respective numbers I gave in my original question are absolutely correct.

Where is the "Totally bemused" button when it is needed.

This could drive me to drink if it is not explained soon. :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

Not all posts read again - sorry, it is getting difficult to keep up here AND to use the PC for other purposes - and as 30747 keeps reminding me, there are other purposes.

The easy solution to that is to come here on a smart phone which is what I do when away from home or using the computer for other things.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I notice that a couple of robins are still raiding the demolished ant nests. I also noticed evidence of a fox digging one of the ant nests, rather strange as I don't think there would be anything for a fox there. Got to start clearing stuff from the shed, but after some tea, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Nostalgia ain't what it used to was!

That reminds of a saying about the U. S. Navy:

"The Navy is not what it used to be; ..........and never was!"

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 10
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

G'day all. ...snip... Now a nice little quiz question for KZ, part of the clue is in the precise wording of the question, so here goes - 'Glasgow has had one twice, Bristol has had one twice, but Exeter has only had one once.  What is it?' ...snip...

Glasgow is in Delaware, Bristol is in both Tennessee and Virginia (the state line bisects the town) and Exeter is in New Hampshire; for the life of me, I can not see what they might have in common! :jester:

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

Firstly, one hopes the Good Doctor enjoys carrot cake with lamb curry, even if that seems a strange combination even to my adventurous palette. 
As for the question posed most carefully, it implies these items / places no longer exist although they could be events. My first thoughts were along the lines of cathedrals but Glasgow has only had one of them - St Munro’s and all their cathedrals are still present. My next thought was HM Ships but each name has occurred on several vessels. It can’t be Saints as there are links to St Thomas and St David in Exeter. All three cities have had two mainline stations and only Glasgow had a locomotive works building new engines. As for docks, all have them with Brizle and Execketter having had floating harbours. Were it not for the past tense, I might suggest football teams but Glasgow has four that I can think of. As far as I know, Glasgow still has an engine shed whereas Bristol (GWR and MR) and Exeter (LSWR) no longer have them? So, more disturbing of the few follicles on my dome must occur later.

In the matter of dumb-buttocked behaviour, one has to be thankful that we see “the pen is mightier than the sword” or armed pursuit by our journos of a certain Prime Ministerial Adviser would undoubtedly result in “collateral damage” being caused whilst seeking blood in the Cummings and Goings story.

The carrot cake, sampled but a few moments ago is excellent and well up to the management's norma; standard.  the curry is this evening's dinner.

Now to the quiz - and  a hint of encouragement because you have, en passant, got very warm,  I'll leave it to you to delve out what was emitting said warmth. And although not intentionally misleading the tense of the question might demand a bit of careful thought because ....  well because ...

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Exeter St Thomas, St Davids, Central and St James:dirol_mini:

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Plan B may be to hit the smaller one in Belvedere tomorrow around mid day. 

Try going around 5 o'clock in the evening, I went to my local one about that time and there was no queue outside or at the tills! 

I'm guessing most were at home getting ready to eat. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BoD said:

Durham is wonderful at any time of year.

.... don’t tell everyone though.

I have spent two wonderful days about a year apart in Durham although most of my time was in the the cathedral which is well worth spending time in. As soon as travel by train is something you can do again I will be going for the third time I hope.

• Like 19

20 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

A nightcap of rum and shrub was enjoyed during the performance.  

12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Shrub? What’s that? Tonic? another type of mixer? cuttings from the garden?

Enquiring minds need to know.

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

@iL Dottore 

Old English Shrub Alcoholic Cordial is originally distilled from Devon herbs and spices. Shrub was originally used in Cornwall during the old days of rum smuggling to disguise the taste of sea water let in during the perilous journey from ship to shore. Shrub is still Rum's perfect partner to warm up a winter evening.

from drinksupermarket.com which is the portal through which I order. Wikipedia offers other suggestions indicating the term is used elsewhere for something rather different. Rum and Shrub is a common Cornish “winter warmer” as its its sweeter partner Brandy and Lovage. The latter being another powerfully alcoholic cordial. 

Shrub is a term that was not new to me. Rum drinks being well known in the Antipodes. At one point the Victorian (era) railway (alongside which I grew up) was laid in part, in anticipation of business from sugar cane growers.

Patrick O'Brian refers to it frequently (and not coincidentally with Rick's Cornwall reference). A lexicon written to accompany his work has the following definition of shrub:

An alcoholic drink usually made with orange or lemon juice, sugar and rum

This was more in line with my understanding. It also occurs frequently in references to Colonial America. Before the revolution Rum was the colonies' favourite tipple, the distilling of Caribbean molasses being a major part of the local economy and integral to the whole triangular mercantile system in place at the time. After the revolution, whisky (later in particular Bourbon, made in Bourbon County Kentucky) became more popular.

Quite curiously, when entered into a Google search, all the top hits are to the beverage rather than the vegetation. The wikipedia page confirms Rick's Cornish reference with some added nuance.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now to the quiz - and  a hint of encouragement because you have, en passant, got very warm,  I'll leave it to you to delve out what was emitting said warmth. And although not intentionally misleading the tense of the question might demand a bit of careful thought because ....  well because ...

Blitz(s) ?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Stationmaster has really got me scratching my dome. I know Glasgow had two main sheds allocated to it in BR times due to it being the historical location of terminii for two railway companies (although a number of sub-sheds within the city but) primarily Eastfield 66 (LMS) and Polmadie 65 (CR). Bristol had Bath Road 82A and St Philips Marsh 82B due to  the former being GWR and the latter serving the MR connection to the S&D at Bath Green Park whilst Exeter was Exeter 83C in BR days but shows no details for the LSWR connection, over which the ACE operated. I suspect that link is too tenuous. It is not Saints as I can find four religious Saints that bear 2900 class names in Bristol alone, nor is it Abbeys. It is just possible that Glasgow and Bristol had two turntables each and Exeter one, purely a railway-related guess.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2