The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And back to normality with the incoming shopping duly quarantined or, where the packaging allows, disinfected while the newspapers are left out in the porch subject to uv treatment for a couple of hours.

Last week, the US CDC recently said that the the primary mode of CoViD-19 transmission is direct from person to person. They have also said they believe ~35% of infections are asymptomatic.

The news media widely interpreted this to mean that there was less risk of transmission from surfaces. The CDC responded by editing their website to note that transmission from surfaces may still be possible, but "this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads". (I'm certainly not recommending you change your sanitation practices.)

The most dangerous activity appears to be public singing. A Skagit County, Washington choir experienced the infection of 87% of their members, originating with one infected singer. With the projection of the voice during singing, I suspect even the 2m guidelines are insufficient. As church groups (and certain politicians) continue to agitate for church services, one hopes that singing by the participants is discouraged, along with insisting on masks and 2m distancing for the time being.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 8

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ere! Leave my fraternal grandmothers family name alone! One drongoid doesn't represent the views of the family.. and its "Cummings" not "Cummins" the latter are also originally Highland Scots...

Baz

There were Cummings (and possibly goings) on my mother's side of the family. One of them lived on Arran through the beginning of the last century. She only spoke Gaelic.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BoD said:

Durham is wonderful at any time of year.

.... don’t tell everyone though.

you will be telling them all about the singin hinny plants next.....

Shush! Secrets at large

:jester:

baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Today I discovered that sawing thru' a (full size) railway sleeper is harder than it looks.  Mind you, I'm not sure a junior hacksaw was the ideal implement for the task....:jester:

That’s also a good method of checking if the blade on your 7” circular saw is truly vertical - mine isn’t!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

you will be telling them all about the singin hinny plants next.....

Shush! Secrets at large

:jester:

baz

Not to mention the Pelton Fell pease pudding quarries.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

he most dangerous activity appears to be public singing. A Skagit County, Washington choir experienced the infection of 87% of their members, originating with one infected singer.

Which makes one wonder why the orange one decided to insist that they open.  No doubt to appease his evangelical religious base which compared to the rest of the population is not that big, also bearing in mind that church attendance is falling.  Re election worritis.;)

Brian.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am building some pease pudding now.. leaving it overnight to "mature"....should be nice in a bacon sarnie for breakfast!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It was fish pie tonight for dinner, not my first choice but compelled by the use by dates. Tidied up the patio this afternoon, quite a bit of moss had accumulated between the paving blocks but was easy to remove as it had dried out. Its now in the compost maker mixing with the grass cuttings. Tea is ready to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Simon G said:

This lockdown and shielding is really starting to get to me now.  Every day just has much the same routine, I just feel totally listless and what fitness I had is slowly disappearing.  To that end, I have started going out for a walk when it has got dark, between 10 and 10.30.  I know that I shouldn’t be doing it, but if the government’s own advisors can ignore their own instructions.........

You are not ignoring the instructions from the government. You are allowed to go for a walk as exercise and there is no time which has been stated. To my mind going out late as you are means you are less likely to meet others so has benefits. We all need to have exercise and a walk is as good as anything else whatever time of day or night you do it at. Stay safe.

• Like 4
  • Agree 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

This morning’s dull grey and overcast weather stayed around until late afternoon when the sun finally showed itself, but it wasn’t cold at all. In fact I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I walked to the workshop at just how warm it was, the grey skies made it look colder than it really was. 

Well I’ve had some success in the workshop and the indexing table is running a lot better. I started off by re-aligning the micro switches a little so the striker arm hits the micro switch at a slightly different angle. I then smoothed out the ramps that lead into and out of the notch on the indexing table. The original notch was initially made so that it was a snap on/off movement. However, this sudden change was causing the stalling or stuttering as each limit switch was passed. This modification has removed the pauses that I was getting as each limit switch which hadn’t been selected was the passed. It isn’t perfect yet, a little more needs to come off, but it’s a marked improvement so further smoothing will take place next week. Next I turned my attention to the springs, I decided to make a new spring actuator, which is basically, a miniature McPherson strut. This is fixed to the switch plate and has one end applying pressure close to the roller of the actuating arm. The other end has a screw fitted, which enables the adjustment of the spring itself, (the photo below speaks for itself). 

CF169F05-5DCC-48B6-B779-C97F9A5A2A12.jpeg.f3385022e59dfc53179a033acbe47a08.jpeg

The added bonus of being able to adjust both the spring pressure and the micro switch striker arm, has meant that I’ve been able to adjust the stopping points quite accurately and the table now stops within a combined error (clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation) of less than 0.5mm on all 4 stopping points. The next task is to make the rotational movement less jerky, I think a thrust bearing might be the answer here, so I’ll have a rummage through my ‘that might come in useful one day’ box of bits and pieces.

Goodnight all 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

The added bonus of being able to adjust both the spring pressure and the micro switch striker arm, has meant that I’ve been able to adjust the stopping points quite accurately and the table now stops within a combined error (clockwise and anti-clockwise rotation) of less than 0.5mm on all 4 stopping points. The next task is to make the rotational movement less jerky, I think a thrust bearing might be the answer here, so I’ll have a rummage through my ‘that might come in useful one day’ box of bits and pieces.

If you can move the striker so it contacts the microswitch right on top of its "button" that will reduce the hysteresis further.  That should reduce the directional difference in the stopping positions. Also, try to get microswitches with the least amount of hysteresis. The less expensive ones have quite a lot more than those from the likes of Cherry.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Stationmaster has really got me scratching my dome. I know Glasgow had two main sheds allocated to it in BR times due to it being the historical location of terminii for two railway companies (although a number of sub-sheds within the city but) primarily Eastfield 66 (LMS) and Polmadie 65 (CR). Bristol had Bath Road 82A and St Philips Marsh 82B due to  the former being GWR and the latter serving the MR connection to the S&D at Bath Green Park whilst Exeter was Exeter 83C in BR days but shows no details for the LSWR connection, over which the ACE operated. I suspect that link is too tenuous. It is not Saints as I can find four religious Saints that bear 2900 class names in Bristol alone, nor is it Abbeys. It is just possible that Glasgow and Bristol had two turntables each and Exeter one, purely a railway-related guess.

The warmth you previously attained has now totally vanished ;)

Bill's question could well refer to 'saintly[ railway stations.  The other one in Bill's Exeter list is presumably St James Park to which we might possibly add Newton St Cyres to come up with 4 saints.  Bristol had St Phillips and St Annes Park and  Glasgow has St Enoch and St George's Cross (both on the underground but there was of course St Enoch main line terminus in days of yore.

• Like 14