The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PhilJ W said:

Breaking news, Brian May (of Queen) has been rushed to hospital following a heart attack.

Sorry to hear that.  He has been unwell with some sort of muscle damage recently and he looked far from well in a picture published earlier today on a news site.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

According to the Beeb 20 minutes ago he has had stents fitted and us now readybto rock.

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm glad to see the shed is being maintained to the high standards expected by the Directors of the Midland Railway company.

Unfortunately  the shed was bought second hand and is obviously of GWR heritage.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm glad to see the shed is being maintained to the high standards expected by the Directors of the Midland Railway company.

Its the wrong colour for a midland shed:D

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Unfortunately  the shed was bought second hand and is obviously of GWR heritage.

Jamie

I doubt it. - it just doesn't look broad enough to be of GWR heritage.  Maybe it's LNER with all that faded woodwork where the varnish has worn off?

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The easy solution to that is to come here on a smart phone which is what I do when away from home or using the computer for other things.

Yes, that's an idea.  However, I really don't like the mobile version of this site, and also it is normally always me driving the computer as well, as 30747 just gets me to do all her searching and the like, as she's not all that computer savvy.

Morning All

Will hopefully backread later, but am just having a quick peek while trying to get a slot booked to get rid of a whole load of garden rubbish at the tip in Lancaster.  Fodder run done, and a goodly supply of still fresh but on use by date items obtained - three chicken kormas, one sweet and sour chicken, three packs of pork chipolatas, all for under a fiver (70p each).  Ate the last of the stuff we got two weeks ago - six steak and ale pies at 20p each, last two defrosted and consumed yesterday.  Meantime, generic greetings are on offer pending a revisit later.

Back later (hopefully)

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Yes, that's an idea.  However, I really don't like the mobile version of this site, and also it is normally always me driving the computer as well, as 30747 just gets me to do all her searching and the like, as she's not all that computer savvy.

I have found that I got used to the mobile version fairly quickly and at least it does not have all the adverts for ladies underwear that the laptop seems to get all the time and do not go down well with my wife!

If you are having to do the searching I understand.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all.

And a sunny one it is.  her ladyship has stated that later today she wishes be chauffeured around the countryside 'to get her out of the house' - we will remain in car and not join the crowds, unless i despatch her into Tesco for a 'paper.

Now to remind you (as if you need it :rolleyes: ) of the question -  'Glasgow has had one twice, Bristol has had one twice, but Exeter has only had one once.  What is it?'  There is nothing I can see in there to imply anything about the time at which 'it' did or didn't happen - simply a statement in respect of each name (therein might lie a potential clue).   KZ had got very much on the right sort of track with reference to two separate things in his first response to the question.  I can confirm that it has nothing at all to do with railways or airports in any way shape or form (Note *) and it might pay to think in what wider or other context the names of the places might be used.  There is no trick to the question the information in respect of each place name is a simple statement of fact but do note the tenses in both the statements of fact and the question and don't forget that 'has had' can have a number of meanings.

The Note * -  I'll say that before anybody does come up with that answer although in that context Exeter has more than one anyway.

Looks like it might be a good listener question to submit to 'Round Britain Quiz'.  I have a suspicion who might be the first to get the answer but I shall wait and see. 

In the meanwhile enjoy your day and stay safe (without frying your brain)

Universities?

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning, its hard to believe its a bank holiday. 

Luton and Southend designate themselves as 'London' airports. 

Approved by whom?

Me.

So I know I'm correct!:mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AndyID said:

According to something I was just reading a decent size in-ground pool in the US will run you around $75,000 at the moment. The house we bought in Arizona (in 1983) came with a good sized pool but I seem to remember we only paid $84,000 for the whole shooting match :)

Thankfully we're going for an above ground or Hors de sol as the locals say. €1500 all in and we already have most of the infrastructure in terms of electrics. Technically it's a temporary structure so doesn't increase our taxe d'habitation. However on advice from the firm we are going to have a concrete raft installed. That will deter the little furry creatures that burrowed under and scratched the first one. 

As an aside we think we've drowned  the little blighters emptying the old pool. Normally there are about 5 new mole hills per week. Not one this week.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

..Actually, to save further speculation, it's the number of approved muddy hollows in each location.

Wrong!, totally wrong!
It’s the number of Michelin starred pie shops...

On 24/05/2020 at 11:58, PhilJ W said:

Congratulations, you have just come up with a new saying/expression. "Doing a Cummings." Meaning to ignore the lock-down rules. Lets see if we can make it spread by using it on social media and the media in general. 

I think “doing a politico” would be more accurate (puts on Captain Cynical outfit), as politicians on both sides of the political fence are more notable - these days - for [a] having their snouts in the trough and for operating on the “don’t do as I do, do as I say” principle (I.e. one set of [advantageous] rules for them, one set of rules for the little people) than for statesmanship or public service.  ‘Twas ever thus, I hear you say and I agree, but one would have thought with the advent of social media and 24/7 public scrutiny there would be more probity than less than in days of yore. Or is it that nothing has really changed but now less gets swept under the carpet???

On 24/05/2020 at 12:26, Coombe Barton said:

What's ironing?

What’s a washing machine?

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...The news media widely interpreted this to mean that there was less risk of transmission from surfaces. The CDC responded by editing their website to note that transmission from surfaces may still be possible, but "this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads"...

There is also another consideration when looking at surface contamination by viruses: which is how long the virus remains active (the correct terminology is, I am led to understand, is that a virus is inactivated, not killed [not really being a living organism, being, as they are, on the border between chemistry and life]).

A recent scientific article (and I’m sorry that I can’t recall the source) presented data that indicated that you can find traces of viruses on surfaces long after the virus is inactivated and can no longer be infectious. Depending upon they type of surface and other conditions, some viruses are inactivated quite quickly although still detectable on the surface for some time afterwards. Furthermore the amount of exposure, as with all infectious disease, will impact on the likelihood of catching the disease.
Generally, surface to human infection rates are very low, but that also depends upon the virus/bacterium in question. Some are incredibly infectious, requiring minimal exposure, others - unless you bathe in an infected person’s bodily fluids - a lot harder to pick up (OK, I exaggerate a bit on the latter).

If nothing else, perhaps the pandemic will refocus people’s minds on hygiene - both of body and environment (some would argue that the provision of clean water, proper sanitation and the regular use of soap and water for washing hands and body have done more to increase the health of the world then all the medicines combined).

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

I am building some pease pudding now.. leaving it overnight to "mature"....should be nice in a bacon sarnie for breakfast!

Baz

How?
Do you rewarm it, or do you form it into patties, dip the patties in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and shallow fry until golden. Or do you eat it cold?

I am curious.

5 hours ago, chrisf said:

..It was washed down with an indifferent chardonnay because I could not find hock or riesling.  ..

Chris, you are continually surprising me...

I know you to be a CAMRA fellow, through and through, with an almost encyclopaedic knowledge of real ales. But an oenophile as well?
The next time we meet, instead enjoying a companionable pint of “Old Scruttock’s Badger Testicles” perhaps we can open a bottle of Baslerlokalesgutedelweisswein.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:but now, unless you are talking about ridiculously exotic vehicles, there's virtually nothing to differentiate vehicles based on mechanical features...

I remember a series of ads in the 80s for the Citroen 2CV in Private Eye (possibly elsewhere?) that went along the lines of

- The same legal top speed as a Ferrari...

- As many wheels as a Rolls Royce...

- Central Locking! All doors accessible from the driver’s seat...

and so on.

You mention a Fiat Spyder, unlike many of my generation, Italian sports cars and “supercars” never “clicked” with me, with the exception of the Maserati Biturbo, which I thought were i ginocchi degli api (the bee’s knees) and were not impossibly expensive....

1 hour ago, Simon G said:

.... My rows of peas need some weeding, ..

Simon G. Gardener, who squats amongst the cabbages and peas..

I know, I know, I’m sorry, but I just couldn’t resist...

I’ll get me coat...

22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry to hear that.  He has been unwell with some sort of muscle damage recently and he looked far from well in a picture published earlier today on a news site.

I hope that he recovers quickly. Brian May is really a top bloke and apart from creating some great, timeless, music, is a really smart cookie (PhD in astrophysics) and a passionate (and sensible) animal rights campaigner.

Enjoy Monday!

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Greetings all from the Costa del Boring. Lovely sunny day on the patio. For once the builders next door remembered that today is a bank holiday. They’re still living in the garage. Tomorrow will be interesting as the council has ordered their eviction and tomorrow is D day. 

For some stupid reason the iPad mobile version of the forum software is not letting me like any posts. Then again, I got the text saved from a week ago when I opened the post reply. Something hinky going on. 

Today may be another do buqqer all day. My get up and go, got up and went. I may make a brave assault on the orange shed later in the afternoon. Allegedly, that is their quiet time. Then again I may wait until tomorrow when more people are back to “work”. 

Little else to say. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

43 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Simon G. Gardener, who squats amongst the cabbages and peas..

I know, I know, I’m sorry, but I just couldn’t resist...

I’ll get me coat...

OI, I resemble that!!  I am just as happy to squat amongst the potatoes and beetroot, as it happens! :D

• Like 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

. However on advice from the firm we are going to have a concrete raft installed. That will deter the little furry creatures that burrowed under and scratched the first one. 

We have our compost bin on a layer of bricks. Furry creatures (not moles) quite like tunnelling in from below , as we discovered at our previous house. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

However on advice from the firm we are going to have a concrete raft installed.

Concrete rafts do not float well.

(Not unlike hippos)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Concrete rafts do not float well.

(Not unlike hippos)

They actually built concrete barges during WW1.   They did work brtter than lead balloons.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They actually built concrete barges during WW1.   They did work brtter than lead balloons.

Jamie

And later than WW1.

i remember the fuss when the sailing club demolished the barge.

https://beyondcanvey.wordpress.com/historic-locations/canvey-island/the-second-world-war/the-concrete-barge-1940s/

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 45156 said:

YWill hopefully backread later, but am just having a quick peek while trying to get a slot booked to get rid of a whole load of garden rubbish at the tip in Lancaster. 

Both of the above duly completed, and slot finally booked for Saturday morning at the eighth attempt, 

Not a lot more to report or to comment on today - so I'll go elsewhere to read some of the rest of RMWeb.

• Like 15