The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

41 minutes ago, brianusa said:

In the good old days, one could buy a car either loaded or stripped depending on the needs of the buyer.  Not these days; the manufacturers like to load them up to make the most money and rely on smart sales people to unload them on the unwary!

There is a tipping point where the cost of managing design variants for a superfluity of options exceeds the material costs of simply installing them in all units shipped, resulting in things like intermittent wipers no longer being optional.

A simple installed / not installed model for options will result in 2 ^ n variants (if I've got that right) where n is the number of options.  If there were 10 options, it results in more than 1,000 design variants (1,024) to manage in the assembly and distribution processes.

One of the things still keeping electronic options as "optional" is the cost not of the electronics, but the copper wires needed for the cable harnesses to connect to distributed systems.

Many brands are including safety features (including complex ADAS) as brand differentiation. Subaru is a good example of a non-luxury brand that is doing this. All new Subarus will include as stock, things like lane keeping, adaptive cruise control and automatic emergency braking.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

OTOH, my wife's Acura has so many gadgets, neither of us have plumbed the depths of what they all do.  In the good old days, one could buy a car either loaded or stripped depending on the needs of the buyer. 

I’ve said there should be a free diploma course with every new car sold.

I don’t know how old your ‘good old days’ were, Brian, but I enquired about buying a ‘stripper’ (technical term, no EA required) about 20 years ago and was told that it would cost extra to remove options from a standard offering.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, pH said:

... it would cost extra to remove options from a standard offering

Because of the variant management process it would indeed cost more. It is why cars are sold with 'bundles' of 'upgrades' and relatively few individual options.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The weather has been kind to me today and the front door frame and fan light were sanded down, filler applied where required and that too was sanded down. All is now ready for the application of undercoat that will commence tomorrow morning. Actually reaching the fan light has to be done with the aid of a bridge that spans two sets of step ladders, one set up in front of the door steps, the other set up in the doorway and the bridge fitted between the two. Once set up work is very easy and there is no over stretching required. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

It will be interesting to see if the manned NASA/SpaceX Dragon/Falcon launch will happen on Wednesday. Weather in Florida has been awful and may continue to be wet and miserable through Wednesday . The next launch window is for Saturday.

This would be (if I'm not mistaken) the first manned, NASA capsule launch since the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) in July 1975. I'm separating capsule launches from the Space Shuttle, which operated from 1981 (Columbia, STS-1) to 2011 (Atlantis, STS-135).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 15

• RMweb Premium

I don't have the info here, but could Mike's answer be Cabinet Ministers (either general or specific)?

We had to go out today -- printer ink.

Bookshops are re-opening. I must see if they still have that copy of the January BRM.  SWMBO says it will get wiped down with a disinfectant cloth if I get it.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

The trouble with traditional Sunday lunch is that it seems to take all day to make it, eat it and clear up after it.  This is, of course, a mis-perception.  Serious preparation did not start until after 11 am and I had finished eating in time to watch “Carry On Up the Khyber” on ITV3.  For my money that was the most satirical of all the Carry Ons.  The British Raj had been ripe for treatment for years and it was done so well.  I am not at all sure that anyone in the cast is still alive but all are fondly recalled.  

Best wishes to all

Chris

Angela Douglas is still alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Douglas

Other regular Carry On actors and actresses still alive are Barbara Windsor, Bernard Cribbins, Jim Dale, Leslie Phillips, Valerie Leon, Jacqui Piper, Amanda Barrie and Anita Harris. 

Jason

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl inner Temple Hare, 

5.5 hours sleep plus an hour on the sofa.

I'm slowly changing my routine back to work timing.  Ben the currently sleeping Collie,  will still get his walk at 06:00. But after breakfast and ablutions, instead of before. 

Blue skies out there  just a few white fluffy clouds. 

Lead  melting today, will be followed by the first trip to a big orange shed in 10 weeks. Tes and Co will follow on the way home.  Therefore the landrover has been on charge all night . When I plugged it in yesterday afternoon,  the battery took 8.2amps, 3 hours later 4.7, this morning, nothing, the meter says Full. 

It's definitely one thing I don't miss, is the sound of music? from houses nearby. The most we get now is a car shaking due to volume being so high as it goes past.  The second nearest neighbour has in general stopped such things. 

It's become apparent it was a partial Cummings,  He has now had to go to work,  his children are now staying for the duration with the grandparents for child care, the mother works at an animal shelter so has worked through, I don't know whether she's staying here or with the grandparents.

Once a Muggacoffee has been consumed it will be time to venture forth. 

PS the hippos are back here too it makes a change from radiators.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, big jim said:

Just phoned work and today’s job is cancelled both ways, should have been on bescot toton bescot but there is no traffic either way so stay at home with my phone on, result! 

I have noticed that quite a few of the freight service we get on the Brighton mainline have not run very much in recent weeks

• Informative/Useful 16