The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

For once, all posts read and rated - will wonders never cease?  And of course, the usual lock down generic greetings are on offer to all fellow ERs.

I ventured out a bit further today, with a trip to Home Bargains, the big one in Morecambe, as there are things that they stock which they don't carry at the smaller branch in Lancaster.  Wow, I do know how to live.  When I got back, I got the new Karcher out, and gave the garden paths a quick once over, and as an encore, I took it over the front garden walls, in part, and will finish the job off tomorrow, as we have a fairly big frontage. being on a corner plot.

Tired now, but Lily needs another walk, and a nice bottle of Westons is calling me.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Been looking at garden sheds, even a small one that I require assembled and erected is just shy of £500, even more for pressure treated timber which will not be necessary as it will be easy to paint with preservative. 

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

On a serious note how do you keep such potentially lethal technology out of the hands of scrotes and religious loonies?

By not making it an amendment to a constitution?

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I don’t have and apparently won’t require a pacemaker but after last night’s late night phonecall leap out of bed (Won’t do that again!) a normal BT ringtone could have the same effect as a class 373. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

1.5 sheets of lead melted plus a couple of small sash weights and part of an old battery I dug out of the garden.

As a matter of interest, what are you using for the melting process, and what are you using as moulds for the lead?

I have a couple of bags of airgun pellets, (used but only one careful owner) that I want to melt down and  re-cast for various jobs including use as wagon weights for my 7 mm fleet.  However, foundry work is not one of my specialities.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bonded chassis are nothing new.  I think it was Lotus that were doing it back in the last Century!

That is where blue tooth headphones should be mandatory wear.  They do it at a 'silent disco' so oought to be able to do it to stop inconveniencing others

Pulse generators have long been considered, but the problem is that Gangsta Scrotulator Maximus would be very keen to get hold of these and use them against those that would use them against them.

There's soon be aftermarket kits for sale to provide EMP hardened electronics for the chavved up Corsa/Saxo.  I suspect the cost of any damage to the electronics of a stolen vehicle might be required by the operator of the EMP device if they were not an authorised user (ie police/military/security service).

It also completely screws up most electronic devices, in the immediate vicinity so pointing a 'souped up' after market version at an aircraft on final to Heathrow could have a more devastating effect than one of the laser pointer pens which seemed to be all the rage a few years back.

My late employers had a very simple way stopping errant cars. A rifled slug from a shotgun stops them instantly when it goes through the engine block.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

EMP....try Fylingdales..capable of stopping a Ford Granada passing by on the Whitby road.

Better to have a wifi blockers..stops the music from an internet site... or turn the mains off!

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

As a matter of interest, what are you using for the melting process, and what are you using as moulds for the lead?

I have a couple of bags of airgun pellets, (used but only one careful owner) that I want to melt down and  re-cast for various jobs including use as wagon weights for my 7 mm fleet.  However, foundry work is not one of my specialities.

One of these,  it's cheap and has worked wonderfully well,. For your purposes I reckon it's just what you need..   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380W-Electric-Lead-Melting-Pot-Solder-Furnace-Casting-Heads-Tin-Adjustable-Temp/383476836135?hash=item5949002727:g:k-cAAOSwIlBeeh27&redirect=mobile

As for moulds I've used cupcake trays for ingots,  and directly poured into a fibreglass mould for the keel shape around the ingots.  The fibre glass mould had a sheet of lead in the bottom to take the initial heat,  after that the lead in the mould took sufficient heat to stop the fibreglass melting.  For your purposes I'd use plaster of paris/ polyfilla for the moulds but make sure they have had a good time to dry before use.. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A rifled slug from a shotgun 

A very underestimated piece of ordnance.

Appreciation comes with user satisfaction especially having seen the instant acknowledgement of the recipient.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

For some reason, I have visions of you weaving through the kitchen, just failing to trip over Ben, whilst wielding a huge aluminium saucepan, full to the brim of smoking liquid lead  before stumbling, and managing to direct the molten contents over Mrs Q's best undergarments which were hanging on the airing rack!

This was a thought if I had used the kitchen as some do. So I have been using the garage with doors open,  a child gate, stopping Ben the inquisitive Collie from getting under my feet. But he can see where I am from under a bench. 

The melting pot is set on bricks on a bench,  I'm cutting lead sheet to the left of it,  the mould is 6inches to right of it.  Wearing leather gloves,  I dropped bits of lead into the pot till full to the brim,  when that has melted,  it needs topping up twice more.  Then using the supplied spatula,  the lead is stirred to get the slag to float to the surface,   slag is scraped off the top onto a board away from me.  The lead is then poured into the mould,  leaving about a half inch of liquid lead in the bottom of the pot, to help heat transfer for the next load of lead. 

A minor point aluminium and melted lead are not a good mix,  the aluminium  bottom of the saucepan will fall out after a few uses.. ( i read that one) 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

(do) ... you not have any control over the size of the window you use for browsing?

Mike, thank you. My laptop screen is 15" (380mm) corner to corner. I do use a window that is narrower than the screen (about 255mm) as it happens.

I have no problems with the (very nice) photograph you shared. The forum software scales it to within the horizontal dimension of the window (less borders) and it appears, completely visible, at about 180mm wide and 120mm tall. The "problem" is one of aspect ratios. Very large images (with high dpi) will still get scaled horizontally to fit the window but not vertically. If they are square, or portrait aspect (rather than landscape) they won't fit.

Minus the Chrome tabs, borders and banners (like the "how to make sure you still receive your copy of BRM..." banner presently displayed) there is about 160mm of vertical screen real estate available for content. So a large image with a square aspect ratio, will scale down to 180mm high when presented, meaning I have to scroll through to see the whole image. Naturally for photographs this is not much of an imposition, but when it is a screen grab of text in big fonts (most of which are not that funny anyway) it gets tedious.

I could mess with screen resolutions*, or go sit at my desk and use a large monitor.

* Set to the recommended 1920 x 1080 (on a 332mm x 187mm screen, which is about 5.7 pixels per mm, and on this machine is  scaled to 125% of the native resolution.)

Generally when I post photographs I make sure they are downsized to be forum formatting friendly.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

I am sad to say that for the time being this will be my last post on RMweb as my wife will not accept my looking at pictures of near naked women on the screen most of the time.

Over the last four days I have marked every such advert as "Inappropiate" or some other comment that you are allowed to make if you click the X on the advert. They thank you for the comment and say they will try not to show the advert again. 

BUT the same adverts come up again within an hour! Either the providers of the adverts are stupid or cannot understand the difference between model railways and half clothed female models. 

I do not blame RMweb or BRM for this it solely the fault of the advertising programme and I know that without advertising we would not have RMweb but over the last six weeks the half clothed females have become a fixture that I cannot accept.

I will keep watching on my phone which is hard to post with. I wish you all the best, stay safe.

Sad to hear your news stay safe Chris.

On adverts I have yet since the Russian Brides ad back in Feb not had anything remotely  connected to the female species. Garden sheds seem to be the norm I must be doing something wrong!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening. I get very few adverts on my tablet but my spelli gs worse. I think Istagram cones up regularly.  On the laptop I get all sorts. I did get French Lingerie adverts on Wish along with ship models.  Chris I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  We had a visitor this afternoon after I got back from the trainspotting  garden centre. I actually saw two proper trains with locos on them. My first since March.  Then a strange cyclist appeared  at the back door. He had had a puncture and needed help.  I took him to the shed and we got it sorted.  He found a friendly and well equipped house by chance.

I have a compkaint about HH.  Why should we be subjected to holiday snaps of his relatives  whilst watching  Walking with Elephants.  Lots of families of Hippos in the Okavango.  Anywzy they were soon scared away with a bear banger.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Funny 4