The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

50 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those unable to get lingerie adverts on RMWeb. Please have this  leisure suit variety on me:

Hippo PJ.jpg

This is a very inappropriate image, Richard, I'm allergic to oranges.

Bill

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Elephants are the Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers of the large mammal world.

They turn up uninvited, pinch your grub, mess up the water supply, annoy the crocodiles, use the whole site as a toilet and then shove off again.

No wonder we wake up bad tempered, and remain bad tempered until we finally get our heads down for a kip.

That’s Elephantism, that is. We don’t want any Elephantists on RMWeb. ERs is a safe space, free from Elephantism, Hippoism and other nasties. ER also welcomes members of the OFEH (OO, 4mm, EM, HO/HOm) community.

20 minutes ago, bbishop said:

This is a very inappropriate image, Richard, I'm allergic to oranges.

Bill

First Elephantism and now this, really Bill. What next, Toy Soldiers???!!! :o

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I have noticed that quite a few of the freight service we get on the Brighton mainline have not run very much in recent weeks

My back door is about 350 feet from the Norfolk Southern's "R" line (Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC) and I have not noticed much, if any, reduction in service. Some days have more trains, some days fewer, but it has been that way since I moved here. Note that I can not see the trains due to some trees and I like the trees more than the trains so they stay. A wireless remote video camera system is being thought about, though. The tree line:

2016_Jan_16_first_snow-01.jpg.19b0b90ffbdb6f200b8b31b59d8e71ee.jpg

• Like 19

10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Pulse generators have long been considered, but the problem is that Gangsta Scrotulator Maximus would be very keen to get hold of these and use them against those that would use them against them.

The other problem is EMP guns don't work for sh!t :)

Unless you are very close to the target you need something like a small nuclear explosion or a serious lighting bolt to do much damage. The other problem is the magnetic field is not very directional so you tend to get your own back. One of Q's microwavey things could be quite effective but they are a bit on the large side.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MichaelE said:

Ad Blocker+ and Ghostery will stop that. All of it.

Don't forget Privacy Badger, although that may only be available for FireFox.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I got the new scales set up this morning, and since I last weighed myself I've put on 3 pounds. It can also give my BMI and a few other features when I get it set up properly. Its not a spring balance scale but works by passing a very small electric current through your body but it seems to be accurate. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...  As a language, German is great for bolting together descriptive words and nouns to create great new words (think Fliegerabwehrkanonen) ...snip...Have a great Tuesday

iD

"Fliegerabwehrkanonen" from which we get "flak", and still used today as in "I caught a lot of flak over that report that I turned in!". Amazing how some things manage to catch on while other do not.

I really suspect that little of the Vietnam war-slang will stick around after the remaining Vietnam vets are gone. Several reasons for that, I suppose:

1> The war was very unpopular

2>  The total military personnel involved was quite small compared to WW2 personnel

3> The term "flak" was (probably) used on both sides; it may have originated with Germans and been picked up by the Allies initially as a convenient abbreviation

4> More reasons but my mind is blank at the moment

Anyway, my favorite "put-together" German word:

0875714971824_n.jpg.fa2c72c198d3c59ae01c01fd8623139c.jpg

A German friend of mine say that it means "Floor sanding machine rental place".

Hmm, a character count:

English = 34

German = 32

No comment! :jester:

Edit: I actually know how to pronounce that word thanks to my friend. :yahoo_mini:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

My favorite "put-together" German word:

0875714971824_n.jpg.fa2c72c198d3c59ae01c01fd8623139c.jpg

A German friend of mine say that it means "Floor sanding machine rental place".

Hmm, a character count:

English = 34

German = 32

No comment! :jester:

But the English version is 5 words to the German's 1 word 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

My back door is about 350 feet from the Norfolk Southern's "R" line (Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC) and I have not noticed much, if any, reduction in service. Some days have more trains, some days fewer, but it has been that way since I moved here. Note that I can not see the trains due to some trees and I like the trees more than the trains so they stay. A wireless remote video camera system is being thought about, though. The tree line:

2016_Jan_16_first_snow-01.jpg.19b0b90ffbdb6f200b8b31b59d8e71ee.jpg

Camera please - live feed.....

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Sitting here sipping on a cuppamud talking to friend far away; so much fun BSing about things. We have known each other for more than forty years so we have a lot to "brag" about! :jester:

• Like 17