The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the sky is blue, breakfast has been consumed and once the oncologist has phoned I’ll go and do some shopping. 

Must dash, my appointed phone call is due any minute. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

...I really suspect that little of the Vietnam war-slang will stick around after the remaining Vietnam vets are gone...

You’re probably 100% on the money with that. The only bit of military slang from that era that I remember (if it is military slang) is “wrapped too tight” which seems to imply a defective mental or psychological state

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

4 hours ago, chrisf said:

...Today is another anniversary.  [Cue Brenda from Bristol...

Surely that should be Mrs Trellis of North Wales? ((C) ISIHAC)

Surely one of the greatest creations of BBC Radio was ISIHAC. I say was, because after the death of Tim Brooke-Taylor earlier this year, I’m not sure if they’ll carry on recording the show. The ensemble of TBT, Barry Cryer and Graeme Garden plus guest, under the watchful eye of either Humph or Jack Dee was about as perfect as you can get.
Having every available CD recording of ISIHAC, and having listened to them in chronological order, I think that the programme really took of after Willie Rushton died and was replaced by a permanent guest slot (I’ve never understood what people saw in WR; for me, at best, he was only intermittently funny).

Maybe it is time to say goodbye to the programme, as the last two series of ISIHAC have been severely neutered: no more outrageous jokes about Lionel Blair (who, apparently, takes it all in very good stead), no more savaging of Colin Sell’s musical ability and no more Samantha and all the double-entendres (although Sven is fun as an occasional replacement for Samantha, he really isn’t a suitable springboard for outrageous innuendo)

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...we are even polite to those that think engines should be green and have rings of copper on one of their sticky out bits.

That’s implied GWRism, no, it really is. Are you one of these horrible GWRPhobics who believe locomotives and rolling stock should be any colour except the Holy Trinity of Green, Chocolate and Cream?
By the Saintly Brunel, I really need my safe space now!

iD

p.s. HIWATT Amp and WEM Cab update. After the mixup yesterday, I got a phone call from the importer: “are you at home today?” (Yes), “is it OK to stop by and drop off the right Amp & Cab about 11am? (of course). Exchange was duly made and now I have my new toy to play with :D:D:D

One thing I did note, the standard HIWATT cab has protective metal corners, the replica WEM cabinet does not have protective metal corners, presumably a feature of the original 60s WEM Cabs, faithfully reproduced here.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

You’re probably 100% on the money with that. The only bit of military slang from that era that I remember (if it is military slang) is “wrapped too tight” which seems to imply a defective mental or psychological state

I think the phrase was "NOT wrapped too tight", or at least the version I heard when working in the States with the Navy and USAF was.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s implied GWRism, no, it really is. Are you one of these horrible GWRPhobics who believe locomotives and rolling stock should be any colour except the Holy Trinity of Green, Chocolate and Cream?

Is that from the railway equivalent of the Jehova's Witnesses? If Brunel was a saint then Stephenson was an archangel and if green, chocolate and cream are the colours of the Holy Trinity then God's throne is crimson lake. By the way, in case I am accused of being GWRPhobic that isn't true - I don't hold extreme views, it's just that my preferences are more Midland of the road. Living as I do within galloping range of the Muddy Hollow it would be foolish to antagonise the pachydermic one. (By the way, what happened to red and grey for rolling stock and red for carriages? Are you ageist as well as misguided?)

Had a lovely long walk (slowly as my back dictates these days) with Jill this morning and among other things saw some beautiful dragonflies, at least three skylarks (and it's a long time since I've seen any of them), six racehorses being galloped on their training track and several buzzards quite close to. All in all a smashing morning although the downside was that the traffic was almost back to pre-WuFlu days. Now waiting for market deliveries then clearance has been obtained from local control to depart for the workshop.

Enjoy the rest of your day; I intend to do just that.

Dave

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Excuse me but if you really believe in GWR,  you'll know 1912 -1922 the correct colour for carriages is crimson lake.. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those unable to get lingerie adverts on RMWeb. Please have this  leisure suit variety on me:

Hippo PJ.jpg

I thought that one peeled the orange BEFORE one ate it! :huh:

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Greetings all from the Sunny Hill of Strawberries where lunch was yet again enjoyed upon the Terrace outside.  The seaweed-wranglers are predicting sun, sun and more sun for the week ahead though with the edge taken off the heat by a keen easterly wind.  Why is it so fine and sunny?  Ah yes - the schools go back ;)  

Today has seen a noticeable increase in patronage at the House of Fun with - for the first time recently - a handful of trains having persons sat in the seat adjacent to a stranger of necessity as the other options were standing or waiting for a later train.  Few seemed bothered.  There is an ever-increasing number of cheery greetings from regulars and others.  We hear more services are to be restored from 15th June though have no details yet.  

Emails to be quarantined and which may require the device to be disinfected after receipt include those which offer "Compensation for your Accident" or "A new car for you old one - official scrappage scheme".  Everything which seems too good to be true assuredly is; anything which doesn't sound right is almost certainly attempting to do you a wrong.  I once took a phone call from an "No win - no fee accident claims manager" who was clearly reading from a script.  He began by asking me for details of my "recent accident" (which of course I had not had) and when I questioned him over his accent and where he was calling me from the reply was "I am in your city, sir".  "And which city is that?"  "I am in your city, sir and you are there also".  "What is the name of my city?"  "Your city, sir"  "How many people live in my city?" "Many many people sir, maybe many millions of people".  I was living in a semi-rural town of barely 5000 population at the time with the nearest city being over an hour's drive away.  I asked "And what is the name of the city you are in?" "Your city sir, I am located in your very big city".  At which point I terminated the call which traced to the Phillipines though might have been using a masked number; the caller did have a distinctive and probably Filipino accent however.  

Beware.  There are things more evil than this wretched virus out there.  Some of them operate online and phone scams.  

Best wishes to all.  

• Like 13
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

That's the last of the lead sheet melted and poured,, there is around 1/2 inch of lead required,  that's about 20kg.

Then work was started on the plant pot shelving,  the first section  has been framed up which is always the most difficult,  as it wants to fall over until secured. Shelves will be installed,  then extended onto the new tin shed. 

Ben the knackered Collie is panting away on a cold floor after a long walk. 

I await a delivery from the house of strong ladies,  within the hour. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Why yes.  It's Richard.  On his Junior Sh1ttopotamus :jester:

I thought it was the answer to the Stationmaster Quiz of the week...

• Funny 19

Found my brand new weed eater on my front porch when returning from work yesterday. I promptly started charging the first battery and a few hours later, the second battery.

Now it's raining and likely will most of the day...

• Like 12
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

By the way, in case I am accused of being GWRPhobic that isn't true - I don't hold extreme views, it's just that my preferences are more Midland of the road. Living as I do within galloping range of the Muddy Hollow it would be foolish to antagonise the pachydermic one. (By the way, what happened to red and grey for rolling stock and red for carriages? Are you ageist as well as misguided?)

I would thank my learned friend for his remarks and would take this opportunity of pointing out to the majority that he and I share common ground with our fantasy model railway which is based upon the Severn and Wye (Midland & GWR Joint).

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, TheQ said:

...snip... I'd like to see the solution to the camera problem, it's not to dissimilar to my problem, of getting Wi-Fi 150yards away round a treed corner.  ...snip...

My current thoughts are wired video and power feeds from the cameras to the white shed in the photo where there is power available, then wireless (WiFi?) to the house using high gain directional antennas. It might be possible to sight the transmitting antenna at the camera end instead of on the shed but with all of the vegetation I do not want to take that chance. All food for thought.

Edit to add a left-out clarification.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

My current thoughts are wired video and power feeds to the white shed in the photo where there is power available, then wireless (WiFi?) to the house using high gain directional antennas. It might be possible to sight the transmitting antenna at the camera end instead of on the shed but with all of the vegetation I do not want to take that chance. All food for thought.

I was wondering about using powerline extenders to my garage to get down the garden,  which would give a view round the corner of the garden to the model railway shed. Then using high gain antennas. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I thought it was the answer to the Stationmaster Quiz of the week...

Oddly should I approach the matter in a true Round Britain Quiz manner you could find a somewhat considerably tenuous link in a direction which might conceivably (just) lead towards the necessary components to potentially reach the answer.   Clearly your knowledge of RBQ is being hepful here. ;)

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I would thank my learned friend for his remarks and would take this opportunity of pointing out to the majority that he and I share common ground with our fantasy model railway which is based upon the Severn and Wye (Midland & GWR Joint).

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/halesowennorthfield.htm
for some Joint Railway industrial scenery perhaps. 

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

with our fantasy model railway which is based upon the Severn and Wye (Midland & GWR Joint).

Lacking something - the ideal would be one of those West Midlands locations where the Great Western rubbed up against both the principal British companies.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Lacking something - the ideal would be one of those West Midlands locations where the Great Western rubbed up against both the principal British companies.

We could always wander off down from Hereford to Hay, and then onto Swansea, if we wanted a good mix of pre-grouping companies.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That would be Cheltenham,  the Midland and the Midland and South Western Junction Railway. :D

• Funny 9