The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ben the insecure Collie will be very unhappy on Monday when I WFW for the first time in 10 weeks.  SWMBO will have a moping dog all day.  Actually she will have tomorrow, for part of the day,  the sailing club facilities are in use again, with restrictions. I'm going to go check the motor boat,  top up the batteries,  and give the decks a wash and brush up. 

Mad dogs and English men go out in the mid day sun.  With the weather today i can appreciate why those in southern Europe retire for a siesta. 

Work continued on the exterior shelving and new shed porch.  The basics of the porch are now up,  but the shed / garage roof join needs sealing. Then shelves need inserting between all the uprights. 

When Ben took SWMBO for a long walk,  I mowed the main areas, by the time they were back, I was suffering in the sun.  So retirement time for a sarni and siesta. 

Once recovered, I went back out , the work area now sheltered from the sun by a big sycamore . I started installing a sink in the porch,  this is for plant pot washing and similar things. We had the old caravan sink lying around,  and the  garden tap was going thereabouts anyway.

A simple gravel soakaway will deal with waste water,  I don't want to encourage naked hippos.. 

• Like 18

55 minutes ago, Simon G said:

The only person I met was an acquaintance from further down the lane, who told me about a family who own a beach bungalow as a second home.  During lockdown, they have been backwards and forwards to this bungalow, totally ignoring the lockdown.  They were reported to the police, who appear to have taken no action, as now they are also bringing friends and family to stay.

My cousin's husband is a police officer on the glide path to retirement. As such he is assigned to an area-wide, response call centre. He would come home frustrated at dealing with the volume of calls from people dobbing in their neighbours for perceived lockdown infractions. The police were not going to prosecute such activity, they still have their day job.

While it feels unfair, unless you plan to spend a significant amount of time with the local scofflaws (indoors) without masks or separation, they won't present much of a threat to you or your community. Hopefully they are at least thoughtful enough to wear masks when interacting with people in the community - like at the shops.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'll PM you a link for the 'Oiled hippo brides in yellow' website.

Access will be free to you, as you're a mate.

You don't mean 'Well oiled hippo in yellow brides outfit' do you?

• Funny 17

43 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Not so lucky was the Wood Pigeon that got into a rather one sided race with the local ADV Sparrowhawk who was on a CAP.

It finished in an explosion of feathers over the back lawn.

It was a timely reminder to put the bird bath in a slightly more sheltered position to prevent the possibility of a future fly by.

But by so doing, are you:

a: depriving a Sparrowhawk of its natural instincts for gathering its food

b: encouraging a (I believe, well reported for at least 20 years) pest (AKA the flying rat) of spreading respiratory diseases to humans?

Bona contention! My vote's for the Sparrowhawk! If it fancies a pigeon snack, it will find one!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

No county cricket until after 1st August. That would mean a 7 week season...could be interesting. .Lots of cup games I would think.

That would mean seven weeks of solid rain more like!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 11

20 minutes ago, brianusa said:

The newest family to move into our little Court of six houses; three kids, Mum and Dad,  are contenders for the local chapter of the Darwin award.  This recent Memorial Day holiday,  they and invited guests sat on the front lawn and partied all afternoon.  Must have been over a dozen!  Luckily they all disbanded around 18.00 to take the kids home to bed!  The weather has been lovely recently encouraging people to go out; I shudder to think what will happen on July 4th, fireworks and all!  Fireworks should be banned these days considering we are entering fire season once more,  But that would be infringing on too many constitutional rights in the eyes of the locals.  That is until their house burns down!

Brian.

Multitudinous Darwin Awards seem to be looming!

Yesterday, I noted two transit vans, one from north of London, driving around town with trailers carrying jets kis!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

But by so doing, are you:

a: depriving a Sparrowhawk of its natural instincts for gathering its food

b: encouraging a (I believe, well reported for at least 20 years) pest (AKA the flying rat) of spreading respiratory diseases to humans?

Bona contention! My vote's for the Sparrowhawk! If it fancies a pigeon snack, it will find one!

And it is more than welcome to it!

The only good Wood Pigeon is one inside a pastie and the Sparrowhawk can take as many as it fancies as  the WP fraternity are on a huge population increase.

It is a real  pest and as one who is involved in pest control I spend more time shooting them than I do rats.

Because the Sparrowhawk is a total opportunist and will take anything it can catch, placing the birdbath and feeders in a more secluded and sheltered spots is doing the likes of the Bullfinch which I mentioned a favour as it encourages the Sparrowhawk to go after it's larger prey species:  Bullfinches are on the amber list due to their large population decline towards the end of the last century. 

However, the feeders and bath are not so secluded that a feline can mount a successful ambush. Now I no longer have Elsa as a garden guardian, we are getting more cats and Grey Squirrels coming into the garden.  The Grey is also partial to song bird chicks and any unhatched eggs.  As an invasive species, that carries a pox which is fatal to the native Red Squirrel, the tree rats are also dispatched without mercy.

Sparrowhawks and other raptors were the subject of a number of conservation programmes when their numbers were dangerously low in the 1960's due to poisoning by the pesticides then in use.  Fortunately the raptors did recover and in particular the Accipiter population is now pretty stable in the UK and it's size is dictated not by prey species, but ensuring  it has suitable habitat.  It is rare to see one actually take a bird in flight, as they are birds that spend a lot of time in woodland.  Some of their prey species, such as the song thrush, have declined but others such as the Wood Pigeon and that cheeky chappy, the Robin are on the up and up.

In contrast the Red Kite population is growing at an almost alarming rate, and as they are mainly carrion feeders, now have to  receive handouts from feeding stations.  I'm convinced that this is because there is not enough naturally occurring carrion to sustain their numbers, especially in the South East. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Not so lucky was the Wood Pigeon that got into a rather one sided race with the local ADV Sparrowhawk who was on a CAP.

It finished in an explosion of feathers over the back lawn.

It was a timely reminder to put the bird bath in a slightly more sheltered position to prevent the possibility of a future fly by.

There is such an explosion in the population of pigeons and doves around here that we could do with some sparrowhawks  to keep the population down.  They don’t seem to have any natural local predators, so it has gone from no pigeons and doves about 10 years ago, until now it seems like you can hear the coo-cooing from dawn till dusk.  They have played havoc with my vegetable patch previously, which is why nearly everything is covered in netting just now to keep them off.

There does seem to be an increase in the smaller birds around here, and it is fascinating to watch some of them.  The blackbirds do sometimes get quite irate and agitated when I visit parts of the garden.

The final clap for carers was a bit of a disappointment here, with fewer neighbours than usual out clapping.

Just about time for me to go out for my late evening walk, and collection of another bag of seaweed!  

• Like 17

13 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The only good Wood Pigeon is one inside a pastie and the Sparrowhawk can take as many as it fancies as  the WP fraternity are on a huge population increase.

It is a real  pest and as one who is involved in pest control I spend more time shooting them than I do rats.

Because the Sparrowhawk is a total opportunist and will take anything it can catch, placing the birdbath and feeders in a more secluded and sheltered spots is doing the likes of the Bullfinch which I mentioned a favour as it encourages the Sparrowhawk to go after it's larger prey species:  Bullfinches are on the amber list due to their large population decline towards the end of the last century. 

However, the feeders and bath are not so secluded that a feline can mount a successful ambush. Now I no longer have Elsa as a garden guardian, we are getting more cats and Grey Squirrels coming into the garden.  The Grey is also partial to song bird chicks and any unhatched eggs.  As an invasive species, that carries a pox which is fatal to the native Red Squirrel, the tree rats are also dispatched without mercy.

Sparrowhawks and other raptors were the subject of a number of conservation programmes when their numbers were dangerously low in the 1960's due to poisoning by the pesticides then in use.  Fortunately the raptors did recover and in particular the Accipiter population is now pretty stable in the UK and it's size is dictated not by prey species, but ensuring  it has suitable habitat.  It is rare to see one actually take a bird in flight, as they are birds that spend a lot of time in woodland.  Some of their prey species, such as the song thrush, have declined but others such as the Wood Pigeon and that cheeky chappy, the Robin are on the up and up.

In contrast the Red Kite population is growing at an almost alarming rate, and as they are mainly carrion feeders, now have to  receive handouts from feeding stations.  I'm convinced that this is because there is not enough naturally occurring carrion to sustain their numbers, especially in the South East. 

Man is making a right pigs ear of the natural world as if it doesn't matter, I don't know all the answers, but by ignoring the warning signs human kind will suffer the consequences I fear, probably after I've long gone, but what mess we've left our grand children.

• Like 3
  • Agree 12

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have managed to take out a couple of wood pigeons with an air rifle in the past, but the crafty so and so’s seem to know now that I am after them and disappear quickly as I try to get into an accurate range!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I must confess to being somewhat surprised by your response!! ;)

Having witnessed a Sparrowhawk despatching a magpie many years ago, I am aware of their 'determination', for want of a better phrase.

Bullfinches and the like seem to be more 'active' in the support of propagation and encouraging other species such as flora and fawna and such like.

I am a big fan of natural predators and prefer their use to chemical warfare. The idea of having falcons and kestrels patrolling stations is a case in point!

Cats and grey squirrels; don't get me started! Having referred to the pigeon as a sky rat, I agree that the grey is the (often flea-ridden) tree rat and, thank goodness, it is not (yet) on the Isle of Wight, where rope crossings have even been provided for the native Red Squirrel to cross the road safely!

Probably the worst thing we have ever done is to introduce non-native species to the environment. I speak not only of the mobile species but also of the 'stationary' ones i.e., in general, vegetation which has also run amok in an unnatural environment!

May I submit that Mankind can often be too good in his 'affection' for all things 'cute' as to be too bad and destructive for his own environment?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

10 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Presumably, the only similarity between the place in Idaho and the place in Switzerland is the name. Or is it one of these interesting small American towns that were settled by immigrants all from the same region and which end up being miniversions of the immigrants’ ancestral town, but in the USA?

It's not an official name but some refer to this area as Interlake. In fact we use Interlake Pharmacy.

In some respects it's not unlike Interlaken, positioned between beautiful Lake Coeur d'Alene and the magnificent Lake Pend Oreille. There are also several smaller lakes. Lots of mountains but nothing quite as impressive as The Jungfrau.

There probably were some settlers from Switzerland as there were a lot of silver mines in the area. The closest thing to a Swiss town near here is Leavenworth in the Washington Cascades but it's entirely synthetic. They decided to make it into an alpine Bavarian village when the railroad pulled out :)

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Inflatable bananas can be used at home as well as in the Royal Albert Hall.

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2020/05/28/marking-dom-and-dim/

John

The picture of the glass in the "new" Coventry  Cathedral brings back memories. My mum was in Coventry on the night of the big raid..my dad (in his RAF uniform) was in a train held outside of Coventry watching the bombs drop. At the time they didn't know how close to each other they were... he thought she was still in the North East..

Baz

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Afternoon.

Just received a reply from our MP to my email re last weekends events. Its a generic reply  that is understandable with having to respond ot over 500 emails plus letters and telephone calls but it was as anticipated backing those in power so a suitable reply has been drafted and then left for a day or two to fine tune it.

I was about to send an email to my MP on Monday but by chance looked at one of the feeds and saw that my MP was one of the first (together with another local MP) to state their views which happened to be the same as mine.

Quickly changed the content of my email saying that I was pleased to see what he had posted and that I agreed with him completely.

Keith

• Like 17