The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Simon G said:

I have managed to take out a couple of wood pigeons with an air rifle in the past, but the crafty so and so’s seem to know now that I am after them and disappear quickly as I try to get into an accurate range!

When you are using an air rifle, the range at which you are forced to shoot at by the UK  air gun power limits means you are going to be in quite close, and the beady eyed beggars will spot you quite a way off.

The secret is not to try and stalk them, but lay up in a hide and shoot from cover.

Rifle selection also helps, as I found long ago that having a lightweight rifle with a minimal legal length barrel for close work, especially in buildings to be specially useful.  Outside I tend to use either a short carbine style out to about 30 yards and for longer range out to 50 yards (A long way for a sub 12ft lb gun to throw a pellet), I use a longer barrelled rifle with a bipod for support. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Attacked the large ant-hill in the garden this evening just before it got dark. Due to the lack of rain it was rock hard but that lack of rain also helped as by inserting the spade into one of the cracks in the dried out clay I was able to break open the ant hill. Managed to get the printer linked up to this computer this afternoon but most of what I want to print is on the old computer so I'll have to wait until the computer shop is open.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Following a suspected WW2 munitions find at an engineering site near Leipzig Hbf and several densely built-up living quarters in its vicinity, it is likely that an evacuation of up to 18,000 residents may become necessary during disposal operations. Consequently, a number of standby tram and bus turns were whipped up on short notice to provide additional evacuation capacities, and I was asked whether I could take an overnight shift from 2145 till 0335 on Saturday. 

Does the evacuation include a mystery tour of the town or just a visit to the depot yard?

• Funny 17

7 hours ago, AndyID said:

... Lots of mountains but nothing quite as impressive as The Jungfrau...

Mrs iD,  who is Swiss, is very demanding in her definitions of what constitutes a true mountain. Recently we watched that most enjoyable film with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte, “A Walk in the Woods“, based on the Bill Bryson book. In the film, when the characters referred to the “ mountains” that they encountered on the Appalachian Trail, Mrs ID snorted in derision. “They are NOT mountains“ opined Mrs iD with emphasis “mountains do NOT have trees on the top of them“. Despite this topographical quibble, Mrs iD (and yours truly) enjoyed the film.

Bill Bryson, like Stephen King and Larry Niven, is one of those authors whose output is always acquired whenever something new comes out. Always enjoyable, and in the case of Bill Bryson, always informative.

6 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

I was about to send an email to my MP on Monday but by chance looked at one of the feeds and saw that my MP was one of the first (together with another local MP) to state their views which happened to be the same as mine.

Quickly changed the content of my email saying that I was pleased to see what he had posted and that I agreed with him completely.

Keith

What ever you may think of your local MP’s politics, I think it is important to give praise when praise is due, because it then makes criticism more effective.  I firmly believe that if you continually denigrate someone because of their political inclination, they will just “turn off“ and ignore everything you have to say. And therefore any truly important point that you may have to make will be ignored, as it will be lost in the “background noise”. Whereas if you criticise that individual fairly, giving credit where credit is due but also pointing out where you think they are making mistakes, then it is much more likely they will - at the very least - concede that you have a point to make.

Perhaps it’s because, as a Swiss citizen, that I am used to politics that involves coalitions of parties running things and so I am used to the idea of listening to your political opponents. That doesn’t mean, necessarily, that you agree with their point of view, but it does mean that you get a different perspective on the matter in hand  And by working together can arrive at a solution that whilst not “optimal” in terms of ideological purity, is acceptable to everyone and gets the job done.  Adversarial politics as currently practised in the UK and in the US is ultimately, I believe, destructive to the country.

6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Full day at work today and was having a better day of it than expected, until someone had to spoil it.

Customer accused us of being ‘all lies’ . Last month , if you recall we were having trouble with the delivery van and told this particular women we would not be able to deliver her medication that day  due to the van being out of action. We did managed to deliver it the next day. Nothing urgent, just her repeat.

Anyway she came into the pharmacy today. She had to wait 5 minutes for her prescription and wasn’t happy about the wait,  then it all ‘kicked off.  Called us liars , the van wasn’t broken etc. Anyway, as the 26year old got into her car she saluted us with a single finger gesture. What a pleasant young lady. 
Not at work until Tuesday now so time to relax (hopefully)

goodnight,

Robert

Given that the efforts you are making, Robert, in these difficult times I find the actions you report of this young lady to be perfectly repugnant. Your restraint is admirable! Now, I don’t know if this is a possibility for pharmacists in the UK (or even desirable, for that matter) but can you refuse to fill a patient’s prescription if that patient is - for want of a better word - uncooperative. Politely informing the individual in question that they should take their business elsewhere?
One of the drawbacks, in my view, to the otherwise admirable British characteristic of tolerance and “live and let live”, is that the British will put up with situations that would get their “excitable” European cousins spitting with rage, if not taking to the streets and throwing rocks at the forces of Law and Order.

An anecdotal case in point: when I was living in the UK I once had a pub lunch with some friends and when my hot pie came with stone cold vegetables. I politely informed the server that this was unacceptable and that she should take the plate away and bring me bring me some hot food. One of my dining companions was most indignant that I “caused a scene“!

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

...As far as I know he never accidentally or deliberately bumped anyone off but I do know he prevented some doctors from killing their patients.

Swiss pharmacies are required by law to review the prescription with the patient and to repeat and reinforce the doctor’s instructions for how that medication should be taken (this, obviously, incurs a small charge which is added to the cost of the prescription). I think this is an sensible  approach to take, although as I am “in the trade“  I don’t need this sort of double checking.

4 hours ago, newbryford said:

New car was collected yesterday. Red/black and very shiny. For some reason, the last few cars I have had do not have the "new car smell" that was one of those unique experiences of purchasing a brand new vehicle....

I don’t recall whether or not you mentioned the marque of the car you have just purchased, but I am thinking that, possibly, the presence or absence of a “new car smell” is down to the chemicals and solvents used in the manufacture of the vehicle, which may vary between manufacturers. Our last new car, our ever trusty Skoda Yeti (a.k.a. Hettie the Yeti) had the “new car smell” when we collected her. Something which lasted a few months despite the powerful “eau du chien” odour emanating from the cargo compartment.

Apparently, so I am led to understand, the smell of a new car is so beguiling that you can buy aerosol sprays to spray inside the cabin of the vehicle to replicate the new car smell. The sort of thing that might be advantageous when you are trying to offload a low mileage, less than 18 month old vehicle.

Enjoy POETS day (and JohnDMJ, enjoy POTS :jester:)

iD

• Like 14
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

They are NOT mountains“ opined Mrs iD with emphasis “mountains do NOT have trees on the top of them“. 

No problem in Scotland then. They are well above the tree line but not much over 4000 feet. But they are also extremely dangerous. Conditions can go from Summer to Arctic Winter in no time at all.

Despite its diminutive stature Ben Nevis is quite impressive when you view the whole thing from sea level.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Barry O said:

No county cricket until after 1st August. 

I don't understand why cricket should be delayed so long. There is less contact than in football and the crowds for most four-day championship games can easily be socially-distanced.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 8
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TheQ said:

This was while watching old "grand designs" wondering where do these people find the money from!!!

Not to mention the energy....

8 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Full day at work today and was having a better day of it than expected, until someone had to spoil it.

Customer accused us of being ‘all lies’ . Last month , if you recall we were having trouble with the delivery van and told this particular women we would not be able to deliver her medication that day  due to the van being out of action. We did managed to deliver it the next day. Nothing urgent, just her repeat.

Anyway she came into the pharmacy today. She had to wait 5 minutes for her prescription and wasn’t happy about the wait,  then it all ‘kicked off.  Called us liars , the van wasn’t broken etc. Anyway, as the 26year old got into her car she saluted us with a single finger gesture.

If she was able to come into the pharmacy, why does she justify wasting your time with a home delivery?  With behaviour like that it seems a good scheme to ban her from your books.  She might think twice then, or more likely put a brick thru' your window.  Delightful person.

Thought for The Day:

Since the Media are so intent on seeing people sacked for *apparently* being guilty of breaking the rules, does that mean that all photographers and reporters seen outside a certain chief advisers' house all jostling shoulder to shoulder for position will be sacked too (or blacklisted, if independents) ?   They sure ain't 2m apart.......

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

greetings all from the boring borough. 

More of the shed painted. Over half way now. Seems like a reverse Tardis. Bloody bigger outside than in. 

We seem to have an abundance of nuisance birds as opposed to nice ones. Pigeons, various. Seagulls. Magpies. Crows. Bexley Parakeets. Starlings. In the minority there are a couple of nesting pairs of house sparrows that feast on the feeder and a pair of great tits that nest in the bay tree next door. 

Robert, I’m hoping standard regs around refusal of service apply to pharmacies. Hopefully you can tell “Karen” to jog on. 

SWMBO’s Birthday today. Will be underwhelming to say the least. Just waiting for Tess & Co to open so I can grab brekkie fixings. Ribeyes, hasselback spuds, and asparagus on the bbq for tonight. 

Second round of lattes have been delivered. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I don't understand why cricket should be delayed so long. There is less contact than in football and the crowds for most four-day championship games can easily be socially-distanced.

Soccer is deemed necessary to make "the people" believe everything is back to normal, cricket isn't.  

Of course soccer is also big money and the premiership players will be feeling the pinch. The players are still testing positive but the show must go on......

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Informative/Useful 1