The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all from a very warm Charente. It was 32 in the car this afternoon. Fist off, thoughts with NHN and his staff. How horrible.

Well the buildervand mate turned up this mirning and tge sitevof the new pool basevis nicely shutterred and levelled. Concete to be layed Monday. I got all sorts of admin tasks and some donestic engineering  this morning.  We are having visitors for lunch on Sunday so I am under orders as they say. This afternoon it was off to The Danglies to take Beth's car in for service. Ouch. We had a puncture whilst in England last year and they don't like having different makes of tyre on the same axle.  2 new tyres. Then a load of shopping, back to the garage and then back home. 

7 hours ago, Simon G said:

Had he said that to me, I would have been tempted to invite him on a gentle walk up Great Gable in December.  I suspect that might alter his opinions.  I recall a descent off Great Gable in the snow many years ago.  It was exhilarating and not for the faint hearted - basically running down a snow covered scree slope.

Quite a lot of German and Swiss climbers come a cropper on British mountains as they only look at my  at the height. The British combination of cold and wet iscalien to them. I assisted in helping some off the 3 Peaks area and saw some very badly equipped young Germans when climbing in the Cairngorms.

Regards to all.  

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Now to the next album on my list of those that have influenced me most.

8. “Electric” - The Cult. This was the album where an ostensibly goth band went heavy rock. I was a big fan of the first two albums, Native American influences and all; but this album was very different in sound and had many guitar solos. I had been publicly against guitar solos, particularly those of the endless noodling type beloved of prog or the ones that seemed to have no connection to the song as often found in heavy metal ( to my ears anyway). I had always like post punk and early electronic music where solos were generally eschewed, and so I had got a bit of stick off friends for playing tracks that had solos of any kind(“Assumed Sundown” by the Icicle Works sticks in my mind) but this was an album by a band I really rated and so I could finally allow myself to drop my prejudice! Stand out tracks remain “Love Removal Machine” and the song used by EasyJet last year “L’il Devil”. And so my music horizons could expand. I still don’t like too much superfluous soloing (Brian May, that is you) but I don’t have to rule all solos out. So now I do own Led Zep albums etc

• Like 13

3 hours ago, southern42 said:

' afternoon all.

We have lovely beach weather here so I decided to put toot on the flute and tiddly headboards aside and get out in the garden.

That was all well and good until I stopped weeding.  Phew! Talk about hot!  So I retreated to the kitchen for a mugadecafcoffee & ERs.

Now, I have a question.  There is, surrounded by smaller weeds, some of nextdoor's crop of self seeding jungle forming plants!

Can anyone identify it for me, please?  I did search it but failed to find out!  I do not ever recall it growing in the vegetable garden when I was growing up.  I did think maybe something like beetroot.

IMG_1689a.jpeg.70cd3a5210cb74f48797c0fcf5838809.jpeg

Fitt  :training: and  :danced: Elfie burning up...

Take care and play safe

_________

Best wishes

Polly

Looks very much like a brassica, broccoli or something similar

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Having visited the country on more than one occasion, I can assure readers that in the Netherlands, a mountain is anything above sea level!

I used to think that till my brother-in-law went to work there and started to find out more about the place and tell us various 'interesting facts'. Like, for example, that Holland has (at least by some older definitions) at least one mountain - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaalserberg .

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 14

37 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

No coffee machine apart from the kettle here. The only coffee that I drink is in beer.

Mine's a Franke 100C tap built into the normal kitchen sink arrangement. Works fine for me!

36 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Quite a lot of German and Swiss climbers come a cropper on British mountains as they only look at my  at the height. The British combination of cold and wet is alien to them. I assisted in helping some off the 3 Peaks area and saw some very badly equipped young Germans when climbing in the Cairngorms.

Regards to all.  

Jamie

It's amazing how climates differ from country to country; this can often catch the unprepared out with no warning. Mountains are one thing, Munros are another, but climate is a whole new ball park!

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Of course, we mustn’t stand in the way between a Premier League football player and his second or third Bentley, must we? 

Are the amounts paid to many footballers obscene? Of course they are. (I grew up three doors down from a guy who had played at international level for Scotland and who was by then working as an engineer, so things have certainly changed.) Is it the players' fault? In my opinion, only to a small degree. The problem, I think, is with support who insist on a winning team and team owners and management who 1) feel they have to keep the support happy and 2) want a winning team to satisfy their own egos.

Nobody is forcing teams to pay these amounts. If everybody said 'no' to players' (or agents') demands then players would not be paid these amounts. But some team says 'yes' and that becomes the basis for other demands. What are (multi-millionaire, admittedly) players supposed to say to billionaire owners offering this money? "It's OK, I'll play for half that, you keep the rest?".

If owners were serious about it, they could bring in a salary cap - most North American professional sports leagues have one. It can get very complicated. Many NHL teams have someone whose job is to squeeze evey possible dollar through the cap. Overall it works, at least partly because these leagues are the best in their world for a particular sport or even the only league. But of course, with football, if you manage that within one league, there are other leagues in nearby countries where there may not be a cap, so the dynamic becomes inter-league, rather than inter-club.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

56 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

It's amazing how climates differ from country to country; this can often catch the unprepared out with no warning. Mountains are one thing, Munros are another, but climate is a whole new ball park!

And even within a single country. The tree line on the White Mountains in New Hampshire is at 4500 feet. On the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, which are the same latitude, it's at 10,000 feet.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 15

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

...John, the actual owner/MD of Trackshack, who is my best friend, unexpectedly lost his wife, peacefully in her sleep last night.  Rough day...

I’m really sorry to hear that, Neil. Loosing friends can really be emotionally distressing, sometimes more than loosing a family member.

My condolences.

iD

• Agree 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Quite a lot of German and Swiss climbers come a cropper on British mountains as they only look at my  at the height. The British combination of cold and wet iscalien to them. I assisted in helping some off the 3 Peaks area and saw some very badly equipped young Germans when climbing in the Cairngorms.

I've never forgotten this one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairngorm_Plateau_disaster

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

I viewed with much interest the TV programme featuring the Duke of Cambridge and some footballers. .   Our future King is as fine an ambassador for mental health issues as we could have.  

Would that he was next in line; a young man well trained on the job, pretty wife, three nice kids including an heir and a spare.  Poor Charles is another Edward 7th, an old man waiting to replace his mother who might outlive her own mother, even  Charles himself if she keeps going!  Great Britain needs a young King, especially one who is with it and a favourite with the country as William appears to be.

Brian.

• Like 9
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Please permit me to present a PERSONAL view about the (so called) "sport" of football:

22 over paid actors kicking an inflated pig's bladder around a patch of grass.

Whilst I realise that this opinion may not match that of many others, it is presented as my opinion and is non-negotiable.

Now I have that off my chest, what's next?

You missed out the two men waving flags and one man with a whistle plus the xxx number of fans who are supposed to sit down but don't know how to! A lot of the patches of grass are no longer even real grass.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

1 hour ago, pH said:

Are the amounts paid to many footballers obscene? Of course they are. (I grew up three doors down from a guy who had played at international level for Scotland and who was by then working as an engineer, so things have certainly changed.) Is it the players' fault? In my opinion, only to a small degree.

I think that one of the big problem in paying the Premier League footballers these huge amounts of money is that you are giving a lot of cash to very young men. At that age, probably understandably, a lot of money just means the ability to buy all kinds of self indulgent things; from trinkets like solid gold watches all the way up to expensive houses and - dare I say it – “trophy“ wives.  At that age, few understand (or perhaps even care) that wealth brings power, influence and - most importantly - freedom (A trivial example: if you are not wealthy and want to go to, say, Florida for a holiday you are constrained by having to go when the airlines are prepared to take you and how the airlines want to take you; whereas if you are wealthy you have the freedom to choose when and how you go to Florida).
Perhaps not understanding, or knowing, what wealth actually can do is why so many lottery winners burn through their winnings with a little to show for it at the end.

38 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Please permit me to present a PERSONAL view about the (so called) "sport" of football:

Whilst I realise that this opinion may not match that of many others, it is presented as my opinion and is non-negotiable.

Or as another pundit put it “played by Gentlemen, watched by hooligans” Although this comment, authored back in the 70s (I think), seriously needs updating. Any suggestions?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

57 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I recognise that is your opinion, and therefore equally as valid as any other.

Can I give another opinion, in no way presenting it as superior to your own, merely as an alternative:

A variable number, ranging between 16 and 32, depending on conditions and other commitments, of over-60 (up to 80+), unpaid (in fact paying for the privilege) "gentlemen" getting 3 hours in total of exercise each week kicking an updated version of the pig's bladder around a well-maintained field of grass (or artificial turf field in harsher conditions). Many of these "gentlemen" do not get any other form of serious exercise and are really feeling the effects of the suspension of this activity during this covid shutdown.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Or as another pundit put it “played by Gentlemen, watched by hooligans” Although this comment, authored back in the 70s (I think), seriously needs updating. Any suggestions?

I think that the original quote was that Rugby is a game for hooligans played by Gentlemen and soccer is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that the original quote was that Rugby is a game for hooligans played by Gentlemen and soccer is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Jamie

And golf is a game played by people wound up twice as much as the ball they are trying to hit.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The computer chap said that the problem with the other computer was probably that it just needs a clean inside so when the other one is back I'll take it in. In the meantime I will have to use it sparingly giving it a break every hour or so.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

Some years ago,  I had a PC which suddenly started failing,  it was a build of fluff on the processor fan...

Blame those in the Avatar... 

I have a yearly reminder on my pc to drop the back panel off and hoover the dust out of the fan and intake grill.  Dead easy to do.

26 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that one of the big problem in paying the Premier League footballers these huge amounts of money is that you are giving a lot of cash to very young men. At that age, probably understandably, a lot of money just means the ability to buy all kinds of self indulgent things; from trinkets like solid gold watches all the way up to expensive houses and - dare I say it – “trophy“ wives. 

I wonder how many of those wives would be on the scene if hubby was a bin man?  Answers on a postcard.....

11 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Unfortunately (for us) we are not able to ‘ban’ patients we have a contract with the local CCG. We must provide service without due delay regardless. Many years ago I told a patient not to come to my pharmacy again when she questioned my integrity but she complained to the CCG and I was reprimanded and reminded of my duties and responsibilities. Very degrading. Im sure if Karen decides to go down the same route I’m going to be ‘in trouble’.  I can see it now. Karen was very unwell and not in contol of her emotions and the medication wasn’t helping. She was in a very fragile state.  I should have been more sympathetic and understanding. All b0ll0cks!!  Like with crime and justice it all gets turned on it’s head.

Do you need/enjoy the job, or would you rather spend your day railway modelling.....

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10