The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

57 minutes ago, pH said:

And it's probably not valid to consider it as a singlarly cultural country, either. See this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Nations_of_North_America

There are other names for some of those regions as well separate from the author's thesis - "the rustbelt" (foundry), "the mountain west" (empty quarter) "flyover country" (breadbasket) etc. Even living in the LA area not long after this was written, people often called it the "northernmost city in Mexico". 

And movements (not going anywhere) like Cascadia (all but Northern California in ectopia). 

There are historical reasons for most of the cultural bindings within regions and cultural differences between regions.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

37 minutes ago, AndyID said:

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!

A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

M: Oh! Oh I see!

A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

I'm sure you are familiar with that Monty Python sketch :) 

The definition of what exactly constitutes a country is highly subjective and any discussion on the subject is likely to descend into futile arguments (like the MP sketch).

Looks like I replied to myself rather than pH !

Edited by AndyID
Ooops!
  • Like 16
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...Quite a lot of German and Swiss climbers come a cropper on British mountains as they only look at my  at the height....

I am surprised, certainly about the Swiss climbers. Mrs iD is an enthusiastic mountain walker (even having done one or two of the incredibly challenging Klettersteig [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_ferrata]) and has been since young. And one of the things that has been drilled into her, over and over again, was how unpredictable and changeable mountain conditions are and to be prepared for all eventualities. As Mrs iD is a fairly typical Swiss mountain sportsperson, I wonder how experienced the Swiss “climbers” were, getting into trouble that Mrs iD would have spotted a mile away.

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I think that the original quote was that Rugby is a game for hooligans played by Gentlemen and soccer is a game for gentlemen played by hooligans.

Jamie

TBH I think that everyone has been misquoting the original phrase, which - apparently - was coined to explain the differences between Rugby and Football matches in terms of public order offences. The phrase being: “Football is a game played by Gentlemen and watched by hooligans, whilst Rugby is a game played by hooligans and watched by Gentlemen”. I can certainly personally attest to accuracy of this statement; I was in Edinburgh the day of the (pre-lockdown) France-Scotland rugby match and the French and the Scots fans were happily intermingling, with nary a hurled invective or a riot van to be seen; whereas whenever there is Basel vs Zurich football match the entire area around the St Jakob stadium in Basel goes into lockdown and the tooled up riot police almost outnumber the fans.... Something which is, I understand, a regular occurrence at soccer matches...

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And golf is a game played by people wound up twice as much as the ball they are trying to hit.

The quote I like about Golf is “Golf is an expensive way of ruining a good walk

6 hours ago, Simon G said:

...I have seen an awful lot of poorly equipped people in the Lakes, but the most memorable episode was climbing Snowdon, in North Wales.  We overtook a party of people, two of whom were wearing flip-flops, and another one was wearing open toed sandals.  It was a nice warm day, until we reached the ridge near the railway, when a biting cold wind hit us.  We just layered up, but other people had no extra layers, and were just about suffering frostbite in the few hundred metres from there to the top...

Quite frankly, I don’t think that we are doing our species any favours by saving such c**kwombles from the consequences of their stupidity. In fact, one could argue (quite unkindly) that by attempting to rescue such dimwits from the folly of their own actions, we are risking the lives of the non-stupid and the non-foolish.

We forget how unforgiving Mother Nature truly is; in the natural world, animals that make a “stupid mistake” (such as misjudging a leap, the strength and determination of a prey animal, or which way to dart to evade a predator, etc.) don’t get second chances...

It’s interesting to contemplate the dichotomy between the health of the species (H0m0 Sapiens) and the health of the individual (you, me, our family and friends) and how - paradoxically - safeguarding the health of one can mean jeopardising the health of the other. Does saving the individual necessarily come at the expense of lessening the fitness of the species? Awkwardly, I think that there is enough evidence to argue for both “Yes” and “No”.
Anyway, enough Saturday Morning existential philosophy.
Have a great Weekend

iD

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

30 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There are other names for some of those regions as well separate from the author's thesis - "the rustbelt" (foundry), "the mountain west" (empty quarter) "flyover country" (breadbasket) etc. Even living in the LA area not long after this was written, people often called it the "northernmost city in Mexico". 

And movements (not going anywhere) like Cascadia (all but Northern California in ectopia). 

There are historical reasons for most of the cultural bindings within regions and cultural differences between regions.

We moved to the Phoenix area almost forty years ago and I was surprised at just how cosmopolitan it was even then. This area was something of a backwater when we came here 25 years ago. There were something like three traffic lights in the town then and most of the cars were old clunkers. Not any more. My little Fiat looks a bit pathetic compared to all the MBs, Porsches and Bayerischer Mist Wagens.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Morning Awl (be it good or not is a matter of personal judgement!)

9 hours ago, Chris116 said:

You missed out the two men waving flags and one man with a whistle plus the xxx number of fans who are supposed to sit down but don't know how to! A lot of the patches of grass are no longer even real grass.

But you still get the picture!

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I think that one of the big problem in paying the Premier League footballers these huge amounts of money is that you are giving a lot of cash to very young men. At that age, probably understandably, a lot of money just means the ability to buy all kinds of self indulgent things; from trinkets like solid gold watches all the way up to expensive houses and - dare I say it – “trophy“ wives.  At that age, few understand (or perhaps even care) that wealth brings power, influence and - most importantly - freedom (A trivial example: if you are not wealthy and want to go to, say, Florida for a holiday you are constrained by having to go when the airlines are prepared to take you and how the airlines want to take you; whereas if you are wealthy you have the freedom to choose when and how you go to Florida).
Perhaps not understanding, or knowing, what wealth actually can do is why so many lottery winners burn through their winnings with a little to show for it at the end.

Or as another pundit put it “played by Gentlemen, watched by hooligans” Although this comment, authored back in the 70s (I think), seriously needs updating. Any suggestions?

Generally, I've found Rugby fans to be much calmer and less aggressive than football hooligans

9 hours ago, pH said:

I recognise that is your opinion, and therefore equally as valid as any other.

Can I give another opinion, in no way presenting it as superior to your own, merely as an alternative:

A variable number, ranging between 16 and 32, depending on conditions and other commitments, of over-60 (up to 80+), unpaid (in fact paying for the privilege) "gentlemen" getting 3 hours in total of exercise each week kicking an updated version of the pig's bladder around a well-maintained field of grass (or artificial turf field in harsher conditions). Many of these "gentlemen" do not get any other form of serious exercise and are really feeling the effects of the suspension of this activity during this covid shutdown.

I respect that you refer to my generation and some. My remarks were aimed at the subsequent generations who worship the current incarnation of the so-called sport.

6 hours ago, newbryford said:

Only after a day fielding phonecalls from cockwombling ar$ebadgers.............................

Have a good one folks.

Cheers,

Mick

The gates were obviously far from their hinges at the asylum! I just wish they'd cut off the phone box just outside. (The box on our front grass was recently removed; are 'they' trying to tell us something?)

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

M: Yes, but I came here for an argument!!

A: OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!

M: Oh! Oh I see!

A: Aha! No, you want room 12A, next door.

Pythonesque?

42 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I am surprised, certainly about the Swiss climbers. Mrs iD is an enthusiastic mountain walker (even having done one or two of the incredibly challenging Klettersteig [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Via_ferrata]) and has been since young. And one of the things that has been drilled into her, over and over again, was how unpredictable and changeable mountain conditions are and to be prepared for all eventualities. As Mrs iD is a fairly typical Swiss mountain sportsperson, I wonder how experienced the Swiss “climbers” were, getting into trouble that Mrs iD would have spotted a mile away.

TBH I think that everyone has been misquoting the original phrase, which - apparently - was coined to explain the differences between Rugby and Football matches in terms of public order offences. The phrase being: “Football is a game played by Gentlemen and watched by hooligans, whilst Rugby is a game played by hooligans and watched by Gentlemen”. I can certainly personally attest to accuracy of this statement; I was in Edinburgh the day of the (pre-lockdown) France-Scotland rugby match and the French and the Scots fans were happily intermingling, with nary a hurled invective or a riot van to be seen; whereas whenever there is Basel vs Zurich football match the entire area around the St Jakob stadium in Basel goes into lockdown and the tooled up riot police almost outnumber the fans.... Something which is, I understand, a regular occurrence at soccer matches...

The quote I like about Golf is “Golf is an expensive way of ruining a good walk

Quite frankly, I don’t think that we are doing our species any favours by saving such c**kwombles from the consequences of their stupidity. In fact, one could argue (quite unkindly) that by attempting to rescue such dimwits from the folly of their own actions, we are risking the lives of the non-stupid and the non-foolish.

We forget how unforgiving Mother Nature truly is; in the natural world, animals that make a “stupid mistake” (such as misjudging a leap, the strength and determination of a prey animal, or which way to dart to evade a predator, etc.) don’t get second chances...

It’s interesting to contemplate the dichotomy between the health of the species (H0m0 Sapiens) and the health of the individual (you, me, our family and friends) and how - paradoxically - safeguarding the health of one can mean jeopardising the health of the other. Does saving the individual necessarily come at the expense of lessening the fitness of the species? Awkwardly, I think that there is enough evidence to argue for both “Yes” and “No”.
Anyway, enough Saturday Morning existential philosophy.
Have a great Weekend

iD

Sounds a bit Darwinian!

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

They were probably Austrians pretending to be Swiss :)

I think there are a couple of factors here. The mountains in the UK look minuscule compared with the Alps and that might make climbers a bit complacent but the UK has a maritime climate which makes weather prediction highly uncertain. I've been up a lot of mountains in the US both in the West and the East and the conditions are typically fairly stable, much more stable than the conditions I've experienced on Scottish mountains.

It's all a matter of climate change. In many parts of the UK, the climate can change somewhat rapidly and often catches the unprepared out dramatically! This is not a new phenomenon! (and has nothing to do with the miniscule amounts of CO2 which are blamed for the current cycling of the environment.)

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

This is not a new phenomenon! (and has nothing to do with the miniscule amounts of CO2 which are blamed for the current cycling of the environment.)

I'm not sure I'd call a 22% increase in 45 years minuscule. Sounds like a helluva lot to me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a sunny Surrey.  

Bbq  last  Ightfield  up it took four attempts  to light it.  I think that I was being a bit stingy on thr lighter fuel as the charcoal just wasn't lighting  and also the USB battery pack wasn't making the fun spin fast enough  so back to the A batteries in the unit. Once lit it was ready to cook in five minutes. 

Walkies planned out for today via local brewery Pilgrim then local bakers / brewery Crumbs to pick up a fresh loaf of sourdough. 

Latest on the news regarding the unrest Stateside is that a protestor has bern shot dead in a drive by shooting in downtown Detriot. I hope that isn't going to dramatically increase the unrest. We have been watching it live on the Orange ones favourite  (not) news channel.  Just shown the hotel we have stayed in downtown San Jose.  Some good brewpubs around there. 

No mention of unrest so far in any of the cities that we should have been visiting in a few weeks time. 

EDIT - yes there is, Portland OR downtown there's been rioting with a bank set on fire.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

55 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I'm not sure I'd call a 22% increase in 45 years minuscule. Sounds like a helluva lot to me.

Something like 400ppm (parts per million = 0.000004%) particles of CO2 in the atmosphere; 22% increase sounds a lot but is, I submit, in the overall context, Llareggub

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Something like 400ppm (parts per million = 0.000004%) particles of CO2 in the atmosphere; 22% increase sounds a lot but is, I submit, in the overall context, Llareggub

Now I'm confused. Are you saying there is no correlation between atmospheric CO2 and re-radiated Solar energy?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

You could divide the Great Britain  up similarly to the 9 countries. 

The country of the south,  Southern  Kent,  Sussex, Hampshire, southern Dorset.  

The west country, Cornwall, Devon, Northern Dorset, Southern Wiltshire,  Somerset excluding Bath and Bristol .

The Country of " intelligencia" , Bath, Bristol,  Gloscestershire,  Wiltshire north of the M4, Oxfordshire,  West and North Bucks, North Bedfordshire,  west Cambridgeshire.

Greater Greater London,  North Kent,  North Sussex,  Surrey, East Bucks,  South Bedfordshire,  Hertfordshire,  South Essex.

East Anglia,  North Essex,  Suffolk, Norfolk,  Lincolnshire,  East Cambridgeshire.

The country of Midlands, Northamptonshire, ,  Rutland ,  Leicestershire , South Nottinghamshire, South Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire.

The West Marches,  Shropshire , Herefordshire,  a bit of Gloucestershire, Monmouthshire, East Powys and up to the coast near and including south west Cheshire. 

The country of South Wales..  As is, 

The country of West and North Wales, , 

The country of greater Lancashire and Yorkshire,  with added,  North Cheshire  and the stuff between. Including all south of and including Newcastle. 

The North Border Marches,  Cumbria,  Northumberland, Dumfries and Galloway,  Scottish borders. 

Central  Scotland,  up as far as Dundee,

Country of The Highlands and Islands, all north of Central Scotland.  ( the Shetlands to Norway) 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Now I'm confused. Are you saying there is no correlation between atmospheric CO2 and re-radiated Solar energy?

I did not mention anything other than atmospheric CO2.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Feeling less than 100% this morning but lots to do so...

I have decided that listening to the news on ABC Classic FM is far easier on the mind than the stuff we have here. Interesting to hear how other people see the real mess we are in...

More painting to do today.. white glossing of windowsills and 2 of the oeiginal external windows (now they look out onto the conservatory)

Have a good day everyone!

Baz

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

I did not mention anything other than atmospheric CO2.

I'm pretty sure you mentioned it in the context of climate change, or did I misunderstand?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Two sorts of climate change are involved here!

11 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I'm pretty sure you mentioned it in the context of climate change, or did I misunderstand?

There is what's generally perceived as being climate change, aka global warming

1 hour ago, JohnDMJ said:

It's all a matter of climate change. In many parts of the UK, the climate can change somewhat rapidly and often catches the unprepared out dramatically! This is not a new phenomenon! (and has nothing to do with the miniscule amounts of CO2 which are blamed for the current cycling of the environment.)

and there's also the way in which the climate (i.e. ambient weather conditions) can change rapidly in various locations.

I rest with my use of 'miniscule'!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Two sorts of climate change are involved here!

There is what's generally perceived as being climate change, aka global warming

and there's also the way in which the climate (i.e. ambient weather conditions) can change rapidly in various locations.

I rest with my use of 'miniscule'!

Yes, one happens in the short term and the other is a long term effect. You brought up CO2. Although it is currently fashionable to pretend that the increase in atmospheric CO2 has no effect on the climate that's equivalent to saying steam locomotives will not work.

They are both examples of the most fundamental thermodynamic principles. When you put more energy into something than the energy being lost by that thing it just gets hotter to maintain equilibrium. In that respect the Earth isn't much different from you favorite steam locomotive.

CO2 in the atmosphere is a really good thing. It works a bit like a diode and converts the high energy photons from the Sun (that would kill us) into lower energy stuff like infrared energy to keep the Earth warm. But the Earth does have to re-radiate energy into space. If it didn't the Earth would literally melt like some of the planets.

The trick is to maintain just the right amount of CO2 in the atmosphere so that the Earth neither cools down or heats up too much. Deliberately allowing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere to fluctuate without control is just bl00dy stupid.

(Sorry for being a bit direct by my grandchildren will hate me if I'm not.)

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, AndyID said:

It is funny how the memory can  forget, and then the instance instantly recalled.

This tragedy used to be used as a prime example of how matters can get out of hand on the Joint Services Unit Expedition and Mountain Leadership courses.

Another example was the Lyme Bay canoe tragedy.

The similarity in both cases was inadequate planning.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10