The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The problems with evaluating the extent and impact of changes to the climate are threefold: 1) for some obscure reason it has become a very political issue when it should remain a scientific matter (the interpretation of the data is, and should be, a matter of robust discussion and debate, the fact that there are data shouldn't be denied); 2) climate is cyclical, both in the short term, the medium term and in the long term. Unfortunately, we really don’t have enough solid data to establish how much of the short to medium term cycle changes we are noting are a reflection of  a normal fluctuation in a cycle that can occur over a period of a several decades or something else (a good example would be that we no longer see winters cold enough to freeze the Thames over, yet this occurred as recently as Victorian times. How do you determine If this is a normal fluctuation within a multi decade cycle or due to something else?); 3) Changes to the climate are happening, whether it is part of a natural cycle or is man-made is really, in the short and medium term, completely irrelevant. If a forest catches fire, the fact that it may have been started by man or by nature is irrelevant to the task at hand: to make sure a small fire does not become a big fire or to control and contain a big fire. And certainly, the last thing you want to be doing in that situation is knowingly throw flammable material onto that fire (so why continue to pump CO2 into the atmosphere knowing what it does).

Call me an old cynic if you will, but I suspect the total unwillingness on the part of many climate change deniers to even consider the remote possibility that something of concern might be going on, is down to 2 things: one, the fear that by taking measures to address this issue seriously, they might earn a little less money; and two, to fully appreciate the (potential) gravity of the situation requires some understanding of the science behind it and, nowadays, too many people “don’t do science” (the general tendency for the “admitters” and the “deniers” to come from opposite sides of the political spectrum doesn’t help either)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Please Guv on what basis do we count them?  By the heading in the blue bar, by the principle headings within a blue bar area,or by individual titles within the principal headings?  

Confused of the Thames Valley (or should that be the 'Intelligentsia Area' according The Q, or South. Central according to Baz, or pre 1970s county boundaries, or does our valley count as a tributary of the Rhine which could therefore make us Rhinelanders?)

Looking at the number of post you have made, and remembering these do not count ER postings, I naturally assumed that you had visited each and every sub sub sector.

• Like 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Computer still working, the only difference it seems is it goes into 'sleep' mode more often, a bit like me I suppose. Over the next few days I will have to empty and move the storage box from the patio as it will now be replaced by the new shed. Its not used for storing any garden implements, just a few floor tiles. Fortunately it has the same footprint as the new shed and will be going where I had intended to put the shed. The reason for the change of plan is where I intended to put the shed is unsuitable due to an overhanging roof.

37 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The area marked in light blue, the catchment area became flooded when the polar ice cap stopped it draining from the north. Eventually the chalk that joined Britain to the rest of Europe at the Straights of Dover gave way and a flood of biblical proportions rushed down into the English Channel which at the time was dry land.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

9 hours ago, AndyID said:

I think there are a couple of factors here. The mountains in the UK look minuscule compared with the Alps and that might make climbers a bit complacent but the UK has a maritime climate which makes weather prediction highly uncertain. I've been up a lot of mountains in the US both in the West and the East and the conditions are typically fairly stable, much more stable than the conditions I've experienced on Scottish mountains.

I expect that pound for pound (or foot by foot by elevation if you like), Scottish mountains may well have more uncertain weather* conditions than most mountains.

* as opposed to climactic

One US mountain with very unstable conditions is Mt. Hood. An 11,000' stratovolcano, it is a technical climb (ropes and crampons) with permanent** glaciers, is very steep with many crevasses. What isn't ice is volcanic material of variable consistency. It is also in a maritime climate with the prevailing weather conditions coming directly from the Pacific Ocean up the Columbia River valley. It can be subject to 33°C temperature drops in the space of an hour.

** Until they are eventually melted by a warming climate, or an eruption

There are about 25 - 50 mountain rescues per year. As soon as the lockdown started to open, we've had two separate rescues within 24 hours about a week or so ago.

One of the most spectacular was a televised crash and roll of a USAF Pavehawk helicopter on the mountainside after rotor blades hit the side of the mountain. The crew survived. The climbers who had fallen into a crevasse died. 

• Informative/Useful 13

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

How many part of RMWeb do you visit?

Regularly

Occasionally

Never

A palpable question Richard. Lately I visit only ERs and the rest of the site (which is of course what drew me here) is almost never. This is because of a handful of posters who drag down the topics that I previously enjoyed by dominating conversations and trying to be the only (or at least the loudest) voice in the room. It's a PITA. They may be well informed, or even right, but it gets tedious.

Other threads drown in pointless repetition. RMweb is a victim of it's own success in that regard where people (naturally) want to put in their own 2 cents (tuppence if you prefer) and say only what has already been said. A bit of a shame really.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a question to ponder:

Regularly

Occasionally

Never

None of the 00 threads, mainly ptototype ones.

47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind Yorkshire.

None of the Lancashire towns and cities like each other!

:butcher:

Jason

Most of the Yorkshire towns don't like each other either. Look at the trouble they are having trying to get a regional mayor with Leeds v Sheffield.

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Are there no French parallels where regional conflict has long memories - perhaps the French Wars of Religion - which would serve to explain how such things are not easily forgotten? 

There are long memories. Our Mayor's family are inconers as they've only been here forcabout 100 years. The two big farming clans go back pre revolution. However they all hate Parisians.  One previous mayor was heard to comment unfavorably when someone told him that a german family was buying a house. He wasxasked again and heard correctly. His face apparently lit up and he said, "Thang goodness, I thought you said Parisians."

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16

8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

There are long memories. Our Mayor's family are inconers as they've only been here for about 100 years. The two big farming clans go back pre revolution. However they all hate Parisians.  One previous mayor was heard to comment unfavorably when someone told him that a German family was buying a house. He was asked again and heard correctly. His face apparently lit up and he said, "Thank goodness, I thought you said Parisians."

;) Much as I suspected.

People behave much like people everywhere. I find it nice to get a cross-cultural viewpoint and see similar behaviours even where the history is different. I wonder if we collectively will ever move beyond tribalism. It's pretty hardwired.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind Yorkshire.

Jason

It is the same in West Cumbria.  People from Whitehaven and Workington both call each other jam-eaters, implying that the other town was better off as they could afford jam.  A good few years back, when the rugby league authorities were forming the Super League, they suggested that Workington and Whitehaven combined to create a West Cumbria team.  That got zero support locally, so was a complete non-starter and the biggest matches locally are still the derbies between the two.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Which ones are those? ;)

Are you after the full half hour row:D

I know what 45156 means. I used to get wound up on a few threads re the real railways but now that i no longer have to put up with commuting I no longer get involved (my health has massively improved even if my finances are dropping  but I am still here) and on many posts where I have offered advise quite often you get on thanks or response so either people aren't interested or my advise isn't good so I tend not to bother. Even posting on my own layout threads there appears to be very little interest these days. The layouts are getting on a bit so I suspect thats part of it plus the forum has changes over the years.

So most of my posts are on here (sorry).

Anyway, had a great 8 mile walk today with a stop at M25 Junction 8 cafe for a cup of tea, all socially distanced of course, then another new footpath ticked off. Fond another bridge over the Redhill to Reading line west of Reigate but sods law there were tow families on it having a chat with the kids playing in the middle so no chance of getting photos of the timber deck road over bridge. At least we know about it so will revisit.

A visit to our favourite local brewery, Pilgrim, so a growler fill of the superb Saracen stout. They are planning a booking only outdoor seating for when they are allowed to reopen the seating area with 1 hour 50 sessions. So its going to take a bit of planning for a pub crawl if this is how pubs and bars are going to operate around here. even harder to plan trips to towns around the country but worth the challenge to start with.

The bakery had a long queue that wasn't moving as they also serve coffee so each customer was taking ages with just one person serving. We dint wait and the bakery in the next road also had a queue standing into the side street.

back home via the pub doing takeout ales so Iron Pier Dana &Godiva picked up then walk via town to put a cheque in the bank machine. Big queues everywhere so no stopping for shopping and the bread stall wasnt there either.

So a good afternoon with the big Fcuk off (as a good friend puts it) laptop now working well with its extra memory.

Just done a mini GDB with the modelling knife that serves me right after three pints, so the knife has been put away and the finger cut is small and now stopped leaking. the beer is acting as the pain killer and will continue till the XT Brewery Squid Ink mini keg runs out.

I see that the Brewdog Eye Test Barnard Castle beer has already sold out and now they  are planning a second batch but luckily we got our order in for the first batch to be delivered in a couple of weeks. Going to be interesting to see how far we can take these cans!

Stay safe especially to our ER's in curfew land.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Never mind Yorkshire.

Jaso 

We have friends in Cumbria that were born in Lancashire but still live where they were born.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

We have friends in Cumbria that were born in Lancashire but still live where they were born.

yes its a Barrrrrrooooow thing!

:jester:

Baz

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a question to ponder:

Regularly

Occasionally

Never

lots

yes 

some others yes

loads 

yes

Baz

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, roundhouse said:

No mention of unrest so far in any of the cities that we should have been visiting in a few weeks time. 

EDIT - yes there is, Portland OR downtown there's been rioting with a bank set on fire.

Sadly so, though I expect it was very confined to a small part of downtown.

In a city that celebrates being "weird" it is unsurprising that there are more than a few anarchists who look for the opportunity to do this sort of thing. It followed the usual pattern of a peaceful protest followed by violence by a smaller group much later in the night.

A frequent trigger for this sort of behaviour was not present in Portland last night. They are in Hermiston today rallying against novel coronavirus restrictions. Hopefully the anarchist group that usually reacts to the protesters who will be in Hermiston are sleeping in after last night, though I make no assertions over who was behind the rioting in Portland.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3