The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

The part of downtown Portland had rails in the road and the canopy form the modern building so I think that I recognised it as being very close to Pioneer square. The orange one was just on the news threatening to bring in the army aswell as the national guard.

What a strange world we are now living in with polarising views being provoked. the hatred that's appearing on social media is startling (even with me posting strong words last weekend). I have a few modeller / friends not on RMweb that I haven't seen in over a year or avoid me at shows due to differing views over Brexit despite me trying to remain in touch. Glad that I have stopped watching the daily briefings but one interesting item on the news was one of the non political people making a statement that the PM would have stopped  a day or so had he been there.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Are there no French parallels where regional conflict has long memories - perhaps the French Wars of Religion - which would serve to explain how such things are not easily forgotten? 

Dozens of them - it's just that not being French we don't hear very much about them.  When LGV Nord was being planned there was a major battle between Amiens and Lille over the route because both of them wanted it to go through, or at worst very near, to their city centre; Lille won and got the line.  But that battle of wills was little more than a centuries old contest between the two places.  Calais/Boulogne/Dunkerque is another one and of course there was a bit of contest there for which one would get the Channel Tunnel coming out of the ground fairly near by but that too was really a continuation of longstanding rivalries between ports.   And in rural France and the regions there is quite often ill-feeling about Parisians, a friend of ours who lives in Nice always used to call people who drove or parked basly Parisiens..

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. My computer shut down about an hour ago. I switched it off for a couple of minutes and then I just closed what I was doing and switched it off and waited for it to cool down. I've placed a cold can of drink up against the part that got warm but still checking it every 15 minutes and I will be switching it off for a while again soon.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 17

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Instead I'll just express condolences to NHN and the Fraggle Rock team and hope that our American correspondents aren't caught up in the current insanity there.

Sadly the riots have spread across the country; it doesn't take long these days.  Seattle was the latest victim and as one mayor said, " its not about Floyd anymore". That  poor guy was the excuse for mostly minority looting and destruction of property. Happens every time!  One day the US will figure out an answer, until then it will happen again and again as an "unarmed black man" suffers once more and is eagerly videoed for some TV news!

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Here's a question to ponder:

How many part of RMWeb do you visit?

Regularly

Occasionally

Never

Regular = Wheeltappers, mostly ER

Occasionally = Sirdouglas' O gauge, and Piedmont Blues blogs

Almost Never = the rest of RMweb

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Evening all, a nice day in our first one out of lockdown up here, our daughter came over for a short visit, we sat in the garden, she brought her own lunch, a very odd situation but very rewarding, video calls are good, but not the same meeting person to person, even if we were 2 metres apart. Bats have been checked and are whizzing round the garden, now I can travel a bit in the car I might go looking for different species another night.

Take care all and stay safe.

G'night.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Mixed day as you might expect - thank you all for your thoughts.

After supportive duties this morning we headed off to the woods for Mrs NHN to work it off shooting (inanimate) things. Then a treat dinner out, carried out from a favourite restaurant.  Busy day really, but odd feelings as you might imagine.

The target is a painted pheasant on the canvas in the bright patch against the hedge, centre back.  Not sure it'll zoom in as it is a reduced photo, 42 yards from the red peg according to the target setter, Richard. Looks closer in the photo, but she's the world champion so have no doubt it's right as its her practice course.  Yes........Debs hit first shot.....she's getting a bit good.  It helped to unwind a little, two hours to go around the glen, good exercise.

zzz.jpg.84cde588ce3cb2785a28d34e764d7b86.jpg

I assume that there is no chance of anyone lurking unaware in the woods the other side of  the target?  They could get an unpleasant surprise if she misses the target! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Anybody seen the spool of line for my trimmer/strimmer? I sure it must be somewhere or maybe I used it all. It's either in the shed, the garage or my workshop. I'm fairly confident it's not in the kitchen.

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

31 minutes ago, Simon G said:

I assume that there is no chance of anyone lurking unaware in the woods the other side of  the target?  They could get an unpleasant surprise if she misses the target! 

Methinks that they would get an unpleasant suprise anyway. Neil has said that the range is mashalled

Night awl

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Another day spent in the sunshine with a paint brush in my hand, but much progress has been made, all the blue paint has now been applied. Although I did run out of it just before dinner, so I had to make a fresh batch, luckily as I’m quite careful with the amounts of paint I use when it comes to mixing paint, the second batch was so close in shade to the first that (like Ernie Wise’s hairpiece) you cant see the join, when the 2 paint batches are side by side. Tomorrow I’ll make a start on the painting of the trim and trellis ‘windows’ etc white. 

Tonight’s tea was a nice quick one, a chicken and beef stir fry, followed by a bottle of wine. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I fear you could start a problem by having Lancashire and Yorkshire together! I don't think they have ever forgiven each other for the Wars of the Roses. 

Just watch (and listen) what happens when a room of "arguing" Lankies and Yorkies has a southerner enter.................

• Agree 4
  • Funny 12