The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

46 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Geological studies of polar ice satisfy me on the issue. IMHO, the phenomenon of 'global warming' is nothing new to our planet although it seems new to many impulsive activists!

OK, so let's use the more correct term of anthropogenic climate change

https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discoveringGeology/climateChange/CCS/Anthropogenic.html

• Like 10
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought its was cracked the other day when I was able to get back on but no in spite of resetting everything it is still the same , to get on I have to remember o'forget my password' fill in the next screen and then go to my email to find the link ... after which I can access ... but with a computer that is very very fast that takes somewhere in the order of 8 minutes.

Have been able to click some comments today but the number of blog comments is astronomical between each session.  Am also surprised at the 'lift-off' of the 12/52 when so many of those who have not been observing anyway are out and about.  

SWMBO thinks its about time I did leave the premises ... 

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I doubt very much that this computer has any Malware problems as it has been idle for 3 months disconnected from everything and there was evidence that all was not right with the fan before then. I had only purchased it just over 6 months ago and even then the fan was noisy. Once the other computer is back this one will go in to be sorted. Not being interested in pannier tanks or any other kettle I've been watching the arguments tooing and froing. Just to remark though the maroon ones were usually in such a filthy state that they made BR parcels stock look clean. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

4 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Which leads me to the question “Who do we believe, in whom can we trust and to what extent?” 

Stay well. I have trusted myself and have managed to remain well thus far. 

Totally agree.  I have trusted myself and Mrs G, and we plan to keep it that way.  Any excursions will be carefully planned.

As to the local R value, I would very much like to know it, although I suspect the best that we could get would be for Cumbria, which is a pretty large area, with some well documented hot spots, such as Barrow.  The R value would then be pretty meaningless for us.  What I do look at are the official reported cases for Cumbria, and they have been at 4 or less each day for a while now, which is encouraging.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The problems with evaluating the extent and impact of changes to the climate are threefold: 1) for some obscure reason it has become a very political issue when it should remain a scientific matter (the interpretation of the data is, and should be, a matter of robust discussion and debate, the fact that there are data shouldn't be denied); 2) climate is cyclical, both in the short term, the medium term and in the long term. Unfortunately, we really don’t have enough solid data to establish how much of the short to medium term cycle changes we are noting are a reflection of  a normal fluctuation in a cycle that can occur over a period of a several decades or something else (a good example would be that we no longer see winters cold enough to freeze the Thames over, yet this occurred as recently as Victorian times. How do you determine If this is a normal fluctuation within a multi decade cycle or due to something else?); 3) Changes to the climate are happening, whether it is part of a natural cycle or is man-made is really, in the short and medium term, completely irrelevant...

It is an education problem in short: comparable to 'Earth is flat' (manifestly true by direct individual observation with no need for any further information) or the alternative 'Earth is a sphere' hypothesis, put forward by folks who clearly spend too much time in ivory towers, instead of simply looking out of the window.

My education occurred at a time when there was full acknowledgement of climate change as a reality, and the change that was then exercising the climatologists was the imminent return of surface ice to currently ice free latitudes. (Which would be a disaster.) There was good data for that, and the full complex picture of climate change with an ample space for proper scientific doubt and debate is - for the immediate present at least - lost.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

and the change that was then exercising the climatologists was the imminent return of surface ice to currently ice free latitudes

Might still be if we lose all Arctic ice, the formation of which is a significant driver in the planet's global surface and deep ocean currents.

This, and many other, articles:

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/07052018/atlantic-ocean-circulation-slowing-climate-change-heat-temperature-rainfall-fish-why-you-should-care

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

As for pannier tanks, I'm afraid being painted black only makes it worse.

I have yet to find a class of locomotive that LNWR livery does not suit:

Hugh_llewelyn_9600_(6116280147).jpg.1baf24ca5ced793c0898ae68b7970503.jpg

Reminiscent of the Liverpool Riverside Special Tanks Euston and Liverpool?

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

It was a sunny Sunday in Lockdown Land, and the clocks were striking Thirteen....

Black suits many locos, but some DEMAND Green, with lashings of copper and brass!

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1