The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndyB said:

Mon dieu when she reads about Richard and his black p@nn £r t@nk she'll blow her copper-clad stack! 

No I'm fine,

My stuff is nothing to do with models as it's all real railway equipment, just a little smaller.

• Like 2
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

No I'm fine,

My stuff is nothing to do with models as it's all real railway equipment, just a little smaller.

And I'm often talking about work-related stuff (along with a couple of other ERs who can use the same excuse reason)

• Like 11
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, which included calling at the pharmacy to drop off a couple of prescriptions, was very quick, I got home just before 10 o’clock, Sheila was very surprised I was home so early! Once I’d packed away all the shopping, I made myself muggertea No2 and sat at the dining room table, whilst Sheila sorted out some laundry. I then finished making the fruit tea loaf that I’d left soaking overnight, before getting changed into my working cloths and cleaned off the excess paint from the front door fan light and gave the window a good clean, both inside and out. This nicely brought about dinner time. 

After dinner I continued painting the decorative parts of the arbour, these have now had 2 coats on one side. Then using a spray can of primer, painted the second trellis panel. These will be given a top coat of white by brush (I don’t have a spray gun) tomorrow and they will hopefully be ready to fix in place the day after.

This afternoon I had a text message confirming the service and MOT of car tomorrow, but didn’t mention the pick-up and drop off. It took almost 40 minutes to get through and sort it out. Unfortunately they don’t have a driver available at the moment and aren’t sure when they will. I was told I could take it in and wait if I wanted, 2 hours or so sat twiddling my thumbs or watching daytime TV, I don’t think so. So the service has been cancelled and they’ll be in touch when a driver is available to pick up and drop off. This is the 4th time now that it has been cancelled, the first 3 were by the garage, to quote Baz, pah!

Tonight, Vidal Baboons exclusive hairdressing boutique opened for business and I have been shorn of what is left of my hair. I was then entrusted cajoled instructed asked to cut Sheila’s hair :o :scared: after several times enquiring if she was sure, I set about the task and gave her a No8 cut! To be fair, she has very short hair anyway, but it’s now a lot shorter than it was, but believe it or not, she’s actually very pleased with the job I’ve done :sungum:

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I bought four gallons of petrol today. $3.799 per US gallon! That's about twice the current price but I still bought it because it has no stinking ethanol in it. (Ethanol is being used to buy votes but I better not go there.) It's not for the car. There is only one gas station in town that sells it.

I use it for things like chain-saws and lawn mowers that are only used intermittently. Over time petrol laced with ethanol tries to dilute itself with water from the atmosphere and that tends to burglar things up no end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 13

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

On a slightly more positive note, some epidemiologists and clinicians in Italy are reporting that they seeing signs suggestive that COVID-19 is mutating to a less lethal form. This, of course, can happen and by becoming less lethal the virus will propagate more easily (it’s not a terribly good survival strategy to kill off your host each and every time a host gets infected). Whether this turns out to be a repeatable finding or a just an anomaly seen in a few patients remains to be seen.

I was encouraged by that too. This is what he said (although it's difficult to replicate the gesticulations here.)

“In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion.

“The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago,”

I was wondering what he meant by "viral load"? Is that just a count of viral particles in a sample?

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That dam will never collapse.................

We've often driven the highway 10 south of that dam -- once each way in the summer. There was quite a nice lake where the road crosses.

• Informative/Useful 11

7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

...I was encouraged by that too....

However, we mustn’t start getting too optimistic, there is still too much that remains unknown about the virus. Although I believe the chances are very high that it won’t be, overall and in the long term, as bad as the initial outbreaks suggest. But we won’t know for certain, for at least another year or so, what the true extent of the disease is.

I was watching an interesting video interview with Dr David Starkey; now no matter what you may think of his politics, he is a careful and thorough historian and he made the point that - compared with some of the pandemics of history - we have gotten off pretty lightly. For example, the black death in the 14th century killed off 50% of Britain’s population (yes, that’s FIFTY percent!) resulting in an unprecedented change in the economical, social, religious and political structure of the country. Other pandemics, such as the so-called “Justinian Plague”, were equally devastating to the populations affected.

Ultimately, we - as a species - will survive (small comfort as that may be). Furthermore, many diseases which persist in human populations eventually become much less lethal (as I mentioned in an earlier post) which may happen with COVID-19. I think a good example of this is that of syphilis: when you read accounts from Georgian times of people coming to London from the country, contracting “the pox” (as syphilis was known as then) and then dying within one or two years of being infected, it was clear that this was a very lethal disease. Yet nowadays the same disease, if left untreated, will eventually kill you but after a few decades. So not quite of the same degree of lethality.

All we can really do, at present, is be sensible, maintain good hygiene practices and avoid getting too close to others without some sort of PPE.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 13

41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

However, we mustn’t start getting too optimistic, there is still too much that remains unknown about the virus. Although I believe the chances are very high that it won’t be, overall and in the long term, as bad as the initial outbreaks suggest. But we won’t know for certain, for at least another year or so, what the true extent of the disease is.

I was watching an interesting video interview with Dr David Starkey; now no matter what you may think of his politics, he is a careful and thorough historian and he made the point that - compared with some of the pandemics of history - we have gotten off pretty lightly. For example, the black death in the 14th century killed off 50% of Britain’s population (yes, that’s FIFTY percent!) resulting in an unprecedented change in the economical, social, religious and political structure of the country. Other pandemics, such as the so-called “Justinian Plague”, were equally devastating to the populations affected.

Ultimately, we - as a species - will survive (small comfort as that may be). Furthermore, many diseases which persist in human populations eventually become much less lethal (as I mentioned in an earlier post) which may happen with COVID-19. I think a good example of this is that of syphilis: when you read accounts from Georgian times of people coming to London from the country, contracting “the pox” (as syphilis was known as then) and then dying within one or two years of being infected, it was clear that this was a very lethal disease. Yet nowadays the same disease, if left untreated, will eventually kill you but after a few decades. So not quite of the same degree of lethality.

All we can really do, at present, is be sensible, maintain good hygiene practices and avoid getting too close to others without some sort of PPE.

Any idea what he meant by "viral load"?

• Like 9

Greetings one and all

I realised yesterday that I am not at all familiar with some of the territory that I will cover if and when various train trips come to fruition.  Half an hour spent browsing in a rail atlas of Europe helped a bit, but only a bit.  I'm still not sure of the route from Utrecht to Frankfurt, for example, but it will be fun finding out if and when the trip happens.   More than once in the current crisis have I observed that it is pointless to plan anything, so what I have been doing for several days?  It's been more like wishful thinking.  Mike Stationmaster struck a cautionary note when he mentioned the dismal performance of the new electric trains that sometimes get to Harwich - my words, not his.  It is possible that they wil have been debugged before I come to use them, six months hence.  It is, sadly, equally possible that the trip will not happen.  All depends on a deadly and unpredictable virus and how those who rule us attempt to manage it.  These are strange times.  When we have a Secretary of State for Transport urging us not to use trains anything can happen.  If we have learned nothing else in the past three months, at least we now know how to wash our hands.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

29 minutes ago, AndyID said:

As far as I know it's a measure of the amount of virus particles present. Eg a fleeting contact doesn't allow much virus to pass and there isn't enough to infect most people.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

24 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Wikipedia:

... is a numerical expression of the quantity of virus in a given volume of fluid; sputum and blood plasma being two bodily fluids

Don't know what metrics are used for SARS-CoV-2. Viral count per ml? 

Viral load is presumably much lower in surface transmission than in direct person-to-person transmission, which explains why the CDC stated that the primary transmission vector is direct person-to-person.

It is my opinion that shouty groups of people (protesting, singing, yelling at the ref/ump, cheering for the home team, praying out loud) are the most dangerous places for infection. These are examples that would have a higher viral load with more projection of sputum.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3

This evening, peaceful protesters near the White House were tear-gassed and possibly shot at with rubber bullets to clear an area in front of St. John's Episcopal (a member of the Anglican Communion) Church so that a photo-op could be conducted of the POTUS brandishing a bible.

Evidently the church had been boarded up after a fire during protests on Sunday and was closed. Permission to use the church as a back drop was not granted by the Diocese. The church is directly across Lafayette Square from the White House and less than 300m (as the crow flies) from the front door of the executive mansion.

I offer this as "news" without comment.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 12

25 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Wikipedia:

Don't know what metrics are used for SARS-CoV-2. Viral count per ml? 

I think that's it. What I'm trying to understand is whether the infection is binary or not. In other words does the severity of the reaction to the virus depend on the number of virus particles received or does it make no diference?

If it is somehow proportional I would think that would have a major effect on how we try to protect ourselves.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

... does the severity of the reaction to the virus depend on the number of virus particles received or does it make no diference?

My non-expert opinion is that viral load makes a huge difference to the potential severity of the infection. It is conceivable that a single viral particle could reproduce to form a serious infection, but I suspect that viral load matters greatly with SARS-CoV-2 exposure to result in a serious case of CoViD-19. Ultimately research will provide an analysis.

People with greater expertise than me (>0) are welcome to comment.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This evening, peaceful protesters near the White House were tear-gassed and possibly shot at with rubber bullets to clear an area in front of St. John's Episcopal (a member of the Anglican Communion) Church so that a photo-op could be conducted of the POTUS brandishing a bible.

Evidently the church had been boarded up after a fire during protests on Sunday and was closed. Permission to use the church as a back drop was not granted by the Diocese. The church is directly across Lafayette Square from the White House and less than 300m (as the crow flies) from the front door of the executive mansion.

I offer this as "news" without comment.

And the reaction from the bishop responsible for that church:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/bishop-budde-trump-church/2020/06/01/20ca70f8-a466-11ea-b619-3f9133bbb482_story.html?outputType=amp

• Like 5
  • Agree 7