The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My non-expert opinion is that viral load makes a huge difference to the potential severity of the infection. It is conceivable that a single viral particle could reproduce to form a serious infection, but I suspect that viral load matters greatly with SARS-CoV-2 exposure to result in a serious case of CoViD-19. Ultimately research will provide an analysis.

People with greater expertise than me (>0) are welcome to comment.

Right, so could I have had a mild case of the infection because I only received a small load and would that have produced antibodies that might make me less vulnerable in the future?

I haven't heard any suggestion from the medical community suggesting that could be the case. So far it seems to be you either have the virus or you do not but if it is non-binary I would think that would make a huge difference.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Right, so could I have had a mild case of the infection because I only received a small load and would that have produced antibodies that might make me less vulnerable in the future?

Yes, in my opinion. We know that many cases are mild and that ~30% of cases are asymptomatic. This could be related to the general health of the individual, viral load, both or other factors. There is no stated consensus on how effective the presence of antibodies is in preventing future infections other than as a generalization for other viruses.

CDC don't explicitly say anything about viral load and spread but everything they advise is suggestive that decreasing the viral load helps.

6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I haven't heard any suggestion from the medical community suggesting that could be the case.

I have, but don't remember where.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I haven't heard any suggestion from the medical community suggesting that could be the case. So far it seems to be you either have the virus or you do not but if it is non-binary I would think that would make a huge difference.

The medics in the family certainly seem to think viral load plays a significant role in how ill you become. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

It has been mentioned over here, but it isn't headline stuff. We (ie her indoors and myself) think we may have had a little dose of it from transiting through Singapore on our trip to oz. Symptoms just about matched but until a good antibody test appears.. who knows?

The biggest problem is the lack of tests which work and are quick to give results..

Baz

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Feeling a lot better today after a good nights sleep. Woken by the window cleaners..they use a brush and hose pipe on a long pole to "clean" the windows.

I am excused painting and gardening today. Yipppeeeddddooo!

It appears we have "mislaid" a number of ERs.

Robert, GDB, Kingzance, twosugars, BoD, skipepski, john wass...as well as longer term missing ones..any news anyone?

Stay safe! Enjoy your day!

Positive thoughts to all!

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick visit to wish Jamie and Beth a very happy anniversary.

I also hope our absent ERs are safe and well and will soon be back.

Carpe Tuesday everyone.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl Inner Temple Hare,

4 hours sleep plus some dozing on the sofa.. not good..

A major cockwomble on the way in at the mini roundabouts in Effin clown town, He pulled out on me from the left. Heavy braking and a large blast of the horn required. You could see from his face when his head suddenly turned towards me, he hadn't registered I was there when he looked before.. That might be because as he then left in front of me probably at 10mph over the limit he was having difficulty staying in lane. I suspect he was under the influence...

I believe the viral load thing, is that if you get a small dose, the body has time to build up resistance, as the virus multiplies inside you. If you get a large dose then the body has a lot harder job fighting off the virus from a higher starting point..

There are large daisy type plants lining the NDR, very pretty, there are a large amount of aircraft lining Norwich airport, not so pretty.  In both cases many more there than 10 weeks ago.

I notice the second hand dealership, I pass, was open at 06:30 this morning...

We now have a cleaner on duty during the day time, he wanders around all day, cleaning door handles, toilets and any other multiple person use facility . The areas around the door handles are looking distinctly bleached white...

This major system the boss handed over to me is all but complete, then I'll start on a new list of what's most overdue and print out the red labels I stick on the monitors to show when I'll be taking it for calibration.

Time to ttake the next measurement..

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

If only the Democrats would put her forward for election instead of the rather lame Biden.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Apologies...

Happy Anniversary Jamie and Beth!

It is our 41st anniversary as well this year. Must have been a big year for weddings!

Baz

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Happy Hippo said:

Note the enthusiasm for the next set of measurements.

I'll wager that the Q works not in an electronic test facility, but in a high end establishment providing bespoke lingerie.

For hippos???

• Funny 17

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

...A memorable day today as 41 years ago Beth and I got married....

PS Just a passing thought, Is Flavio gradually becoming the new Jock67B with his daily roundups in his inimitable style...

In regards to your first point Jamie, I’m not sure whether to offer you congratulations or commiserations. Presumably, there have been 41 years of mostly “ups” and very few “downs”, So on balance congratulations are definitely in order.

Sadly, I must report that I had a very bad fight with Mrs ID this morning:

It got so bad that I said to her that I was going to kill myself to spite her. “Fine“ she replied “I’m gonna dance on your grave“

Well, that’s just fine and dandy by me“ I replied, “I’m being buried at sea!:jester:

(The old jokes are always the good ones):biggrin_mini:

As for your second point that I quote, I could never, ever, step into the shoes of Jock67B. He was one-of-a-kind and even now is sorely missed.

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

This evening, peaceful protesters near the White House were tear-gassed and possibly shot at with rubber bullets to clear an area in front of St. John's Episcopal (a member of the Anglican Communion) Church so that a photo-op could be conducted of the POTUS brandishing a bible..

Regardless of your political leanings, one thing has emerged over the past few days and that is the police in the US are mostly unaccountable for their actions and believe, to date rightly, that they can break the law they are supposed to in uphold with impunity. A further complicating factor is that far too many US police forces are equipped with ex-US military equipment.  From looking at the photographs of many US police forces when they are “tooled up”, you could be forgiven for thinking that these are photographs of an occupying army. Furthermore, it is hard to reach out to the community when you are equipped like an occupying military force  (interestingly enough, in those towns and cities where police leadership has reached out to the community and has had a dialogue with the protesters are those towns and cities that have had less or no violence).
Bad cops that remain unpunished make the professional life of good cops much, much harder and much more dangerous. And being unpunished for what, in many cases, is criminal activity, undermines the rule of law that they are supposed to uphold. Better training and transparent accountability would ultimately benefit everyone: police, politicians and citizens.

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The medics in the family certainly seem to think viral load plays a significant role in how ill you become. 

Well, that would certainly make sense. The assumption being, of course, that the viral load - if sufficiently large - would overwhelm a COVID-19 naive immune system. 

15 minutes ago, Barry O said:

It has been mentioned over here, but it isn't headline stuff. We (ie her indoors and myself) think we may have had a little dose of it from transiting through Singapore on our trip to oz. Symptoms just about matched but until a good antibody test appears.. who knows?

To be honest Barry, given what we know about how COVID-19 spreads and how infectious it can be, your assumption that you may have been exposed to it and gone through being infected with mild symptoms is probably an accurate assessment. 
To go out on the limb, I would hazard that there are a hell of a lot more people who have been infected with the coronavirus with little or no symptoms then we would care to imagine. But, as you point out, we would need a reliable antibody test, one that has high accuracy and specificity, in order to know for certain.

Assuming that one does become available, I think two other requirements will need to be met: firstly, the test should be easy to perform with a quick turnaround; and secondly, it is made mandatory for any profession that has a customer facing component and before any foreign travel (furthermore, measures will need to be in place regarding what to do IF the test comes back positive. Quarantine for 14 days? Retest after X days? Other?).

The first requirement I can easily see as being met, the second? Well, it’s anyone’s guess.

Cheers

iD

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Note the enthusiasm for the next set of measurements.

I'll wager that the Q works not in an electronic test facility, but in a high end establishment providing bespoke lingerie.

Sadly , that was 50 years ago, however, I was not allowed through the door from the Male half of the Ladies and Gentlemans Outfitters into the Ladies half. So all I got to measure was feet on the ladies, as we had all the shoes..

It was two Identical shops with a door between, so we had all the shoes because of the racks and racks of ladies clothing. Oh and if the lady was particularly pretty the boss did the measurement...

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

... one thing has emerged over the past few days and that is the police in the US are mostly unaccountable for their actions and believe, to date rightly, that they can break the law they are supposed to in uphold with impunity.

It has been well understood for a long time now - ever since the ubiquity of smart phones with video capability.

10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A further complicating factor is that far too many US police forces are equipped with ex-US military equipment.  From looking at the photographs of many US police forces when they are “tooled up”, you could be forgiven for thinking that these are photographs of an occupying army. 

And they just can't wait to play soldiers and use it. We had this incident a couple of years ago.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy anniversary Jamie and Beth. According to the forecasters its going to be a hot one today so work in clearing out the storage box will have to wait another day when the hay fever has subsided. Time to run a bath, be back later.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Phantom chirps

Watching late night television this evening I heard the plaintive chirp of a dying smoke detector battery. Pleased that I heard it before going to sleep I wandered down the hall to better isolate which smoke detector it was from. No dice.

Back into my bedroom and there it was again. I muted the television to better isolate the sound and wandered down the hall again. No dice.

With the sound back on, there it was again. I started to wonder if the smoke detector in question was in the home of the person being interviewed on television. An hour after that interview ended, and no more chirps, I am (almost) convinced that was the case. (I occasionally think I hear a chirp. I know there are *some* batteries to replace, just not which ones.)

In these days of remote meetings, it occurs to me that it might be funny to play the smoke detector chirp on a conference call and observe chaos ensue as everybody tries to figure out if they have a dying battery.

• Funny 16

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think it is one of the factors.  However, for those of us with age or "underlying health" issues, even a low viral load can cause severe illness and death.  The virus appears to infect the lungs, then there is pneumonia in the pleural sac, then …..

Lets wait and see on asymptomatic infection.  I may have more to report next week.

Bill

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another sunny start to the day here in the northwest of England. Breakfast has now been consumed so, once Sheila has finished her breakfast I’ll make myself muggertea No2 in my insulated cup and head off outside to continue painting the decorative parts of the arbour. Hopefully by the end of today, I’ll have all the parts painted and tomorrow I can finally add them to the arbour and fit the roofing tiles. 

Jamie and Beth. Happy anniversary

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

It appears we have "mislaid" a number of ERs.

Robert, GDB, Kingzance, twosugars, BoD, skipepski, john wass...as well as longer term missing ones..any news anyone?

Twosugars is playing catchup with ERs I think - he's tagged a few of my posts from a week or two back!

John also tagged a few a couple days ago.

• Like 11
  • Agree 6