The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Twosugars is playing catchup with ERs I think - he's tagged a few of my posts from a week or two back!

John also tagged a few a couple days ago.

I saw BoD making an entry a couple of days ago.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I had a good night’s sleep , woke up, made tea, took medication and went back to sleep. Woke up after agitated dream (queuing for some sort of medical test).

A couple of parcels are due today, both items are for me. After much confusion of my brain today (before breakfast) I think I have ordered the correct hex/Allen keys for various tiny metric grub screws. Same day delivery was offers but I declined, cant cope with too much excitement in one day. 
Tony

• Like 19

Morning(just) Happy Anniversary to those who have...………….are...………….or about to celebrate, it's our 40th at the end of the month, this lockdown just might save me a fortune in muddling tokens(I do however think the escape might only be temporary ).

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Moaning awl. My choice of words is caused by insufficient caffeine levels! :chok_mini:

Thank you for the reminder, I will now go brew up a cuppamud. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 7
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip...Bad cops that remain unpunished make the professional life of good cops much, much harder and much more dangerous.  ...snip...

Cheers

iD

As I said to friend just the other day on the same subject: "One bent badge tarnishes the whole department.".

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Phantom chirps

Watching late night television this evening I heard the plaintive chirp of a dying smoke detector battery. Pleased that I heard it before going to sleep I wandered down the hall to better isolate which smoke detector it was from. No dice.

Back into my bedroom and there it was again. I muted the television to better isolate the sound and wandered down the hall again. No dice.

With the sound back on, there it was again. I started to wonder if the smoke detector in question was in the home of the person being interviewed on television. An hour after that interview ended, and no more chirps, I am (almost) convinced that was the case. (I occasionally think I hear a chirp. I know there are *some* batteries to replace, just not which ones.)

In these days of remote meetings, it occurs to me that it might be funny to play the smoke detector chirp on a conference call and observe chaos ensue as everybody tries to figure out if they have a dying battery.

I just replace all of the batteries at the same time. When the first one chirps, they all go.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Thank you for the reminder, I will now go brew up a cuppamud. :biggrin_mini:

It just finished brewing, full-strength, no de-caf; I need to wake up!:jester:

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Happy anniversary to Beth and Jamie - and many more of them (interesting to see that Beth's going away outfit was based around jeans - quite fashionable by then I think).  Fortunately - in some respects - our 43rd was well within lockdown time so a considerable restaurant bill was avoided although we did open a bottle of champagne - which we had been gifted by a departing French neighbour, and very good it was too.

Sister Diabolic said yesterday that in terms of infection outdoors is. much safer than in and idealy with proper social dstancing but avoid anybody who coughs (presumably that all includes sneezes?).  Certainly seems that the virus has spread far more effectively where peiople have been ina. group or congregation singing if some reports are any guide.

Today we (she) have Tesco'd - I stayed outside watching teh train go by - three times, which meant that she was in the shop for a few minutes over half an hour.  Next comes teh big expedition as we are off to Root One for some compost and to get soem stuff to treeat potati o blight - alas the weather is just right for the spread of the latter.  The café will no doub t be shut, i wonder if they do takeaway breakfasts?  And the garden lavender is starting to flower so I'll try to get some pics - in one place out front all teh plants are seklf-seeders which are on gravel laid on top of some allegedly weed resistant matting and the ground underneath is absolutely carp.  So just like southern Franc e I get teh distinct impression that lavender can do really well on rubbish 'soil'.

Have a good day one and all. (I've been in touch with GDB who is playing trains but I've heard nthing from KZ having PM'd him some days back)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy Anniversary to Beth and Jamie.

When Aditi and I got married neither of us had a car driving licence. So, the honeymoon was a Sunday afternoon at Maldon with some friends who hadn’t gone back after the wedding. They had only found out about the wedding (all short notice, married by licence) on Friday night. They rushed out, hired a car and drove down from Liverpool, arriving just before we set off for the registry office on Saturday morning. Like us, they were back at work on the Monday. The numbers are quite big now but it will be 43 years in a few weeks. 
Tony

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This is not  political, you will see why when you reach the last line.

image.png.b8e29b5b9fd10ed616c76f26a76abd3a.png

That would be right.... our regatta week is due to start August the 1st...

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Happy Anniversary to Jamie and Beth.  We are a little behind as our 39th is later this month.  I am already thinking about a family get together next year for our 40th.

It is a little cooler today, as there is a little cloud cover.  Still warm though, so weedkilling on back lawn has been done.  Last night we watched the ITV programme with Alan Titchmarsh on growing your own fruit and veg.  One little tip I have copied today was to use some old carpet underlay instead of straw to keep strawberries off the ground.  I do have a load of straw drying out to use just now, but the underlay idea seemed quick and easy.  If it works OK, I have more old underlay in the loft to use next year.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just got in from collecting my old computer, all sorted and ready to go, I'm still using the 'spare' at the moment as I will have to recover a lot stuff like passwords before I start using it. The fan seems to be working OK on this machine now so fingers crossed.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

It just finished brewing, full-strength, no de-caf; I need to wake up!:jester:

I woke up alright, I am still wired!:jester:Listening to Midnight In Moscow right now and kind of bouncing around in time with it!:yahoo_mini::yahoo_mini:Better off if I had had some :drink_mini:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, AndyID said:

....I use it for things like chain-saws and lawn mowers that are only used intermittently. Over time petrol laced with ethanol tries to dilute itself with water from the atmosphere and that tends to burglar things up no end.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to store the petrol/ethanol mix in a sealed, air tight container and fill up the chainsaw, lawnmower etc., just before using? In that way you can use the cheaper mix.
Many years ago (Chemistry at Uni?), I was told that even high octane petrol degrades very quickly once exposed to air (which apparently happens when you fill a petrol tank). So - it would seem - all those zombie apocalypse films have got it dead wrong (no pun intended) when the survivors siphon fuel from abandoned cars several months after the fall of civilisation and then zoom off to safety in their vehicle, just a few seconds from being over run by the ravenous zombie hordes...

9 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

....I realised yesterday that I am not at all familiar with some of the territory that I will cover if and when various train trips come to fruition...

Hmm! Yesterday you spoke about “thinking outside the box” regarding your trip planning. Well, I started cogitating and came up with an utterly brilliant idea! :D

Remember in 50s/60s you had various Air Ferries, whereby you drove your car into a Bristol Type 170 Freighter, took your seat in the cabin and a little while later  you would be in Ostend or Rotterdam or Calais, ready for your onward journey?  Well, you could do something similar with a train excursion: you hire the Antonov An-225 Mriya (which can easily take two Mark 1 carriages with space to spare), route your excursion train to the relevant airport train station, load the Antonov, fly to your chosen destination (South of Italy, Canada, Australia, wherever) offload the carriages to the airport railway station at the other end, hook up your locomotive, board the train and off you go.

Simples!

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It is my opinion that shouty groups of people (protesting, ...., yelling at the ref/ump, cheering for the home team...) are the most dangerous places for infection....

Infection? Honestly? Those are dangerous places FULL STOP

7 hours ago, Barry O said:

...It is our 41st anniversary as well this year....

41 years! You’re not pulling my leg are you? You write so young... :D :biggrin_mini:

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wrote high end not high capacity!

Oh, I don’t know. Given how far from the ground the hippopotamus excretory sphincter is located, “high end” would, I think, be very appropriate!

7 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

...reception at BR Railwaymans' Social Club and three days honeymoon in London...

Maybe it’s because I am, more or less, a Londoner Mike, but I can’t see London as a honeymoon destination: Edinburgh? yes, Dublin? certainly, Paris? definitely! But London?  I suppose (he says dubiously) there are indeed romantic locations in London. Trouble is, at the moment I can’t think of any (unless you subscribe to “the romance of train travel“ and have marked  Waterloo Station, Paddington Station and Victoria Station as places suitable for re-enacting Brief Encounter or the like) :jester:

6 hours ago, AndrewC said:

...My work week is now 11 minutes old. What a bunch of arsebadger c*ntpuffin hoofw*nking bungle*unty c*ckwombles....

Oh go on Andrew, unburden yourself, you are amongst friends, do tell us what you really think about your colleagues.

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Morning(just) Happy Anniversary to those who have...………….are...………….or about to celebrate, it's our 40th at the end of the month, this lockdown just might save me a fortune in muddling tokens...

Oh dear. My dear tiger, I think you may be under a misapprehension as to what will happen to your unused muddling tokens.  You are coming up to a 4-decade / round number anniversary, this - of course – must be celebrated by diverting as many muddling tokens as possible (short of incurring penury) towards a grandly impressive excursion, celebration or gift (or even all three at once) suitable for impressing and placating SWMBO.  Failure to do so, combined with forgetfulness regarding time, day, date, place and meteorological conditions of where you exchanged vows, will result in your life becoming exquisitely and painfully “interesting“ :devil::jester:

Congratulations, by the way!

1 hour ago, NGT6 1315 said:

...There are, broadly speaking, three different roadbed configurations for open track, paved-in and grass-set track, with further differences also existing between older and newer rail profiles and sleeper types.

Try modelling that in 2mm Finescale :o

Have an amusing and entertaining evening, boys and girls. See you tomorrow.

iD

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Hmm! Yesterday you spoke about “thinking outside the box” regarding your trip planning. Well, I started cogitating and came up with an utterly brilliant idea! :D

Remember in 50s/60s you had various Air Ferries, whereby you drove your car into a Bristol Type 170 Freighter, took your seat in the cabin and a little while later  you would be in Ostend or Rotterdam or Calais, ready for your onward journey?  Well, you could do something similar with a train excursion: you hire the Antonov An-225 Mriya (which can easily take two Mark 1 carriages with space to spare), route your excursion train to the relevant airport train station, load the Antonov, fly to your chosen destination (South of Italy, Canada, Australia, wherever) offload the carriages to the airport railway station at the other end, hook up your locomotive, board the train and off you go.

Simples!

Think of the bureaucracy ...

Chris

• Like 5
  • Agree 11

• RMweb Gold

Root One excellently organised social distancing wise with nice little notices inverted flowerpots as the distance markers plus the staff also well organised and a one way system for the punters in the indoor area.  Most punters also being alert and sensible although a few idiots clearly didn't know the difference between 2 metres and 2 feet.  Worst non-compliers with recommended apparel seemed to be middle aged men carrying rather too much weight - presumably they drink half a dozen pints of sanitiser before bed every night and being - by the look of them - horny handed sons of toil regard gloves as something intended only for wimps and Lady Bracknell (if they've actually heard of her).

It was clear from the return drive through Wallingford that whoever else might or might not have gone back to skool teenagers of the female gender much prefer to walk around the town in what might politely  be described as excessively short shorts.  Another serious hazard on the roads was the number of cyclists about who perhaps don't realise that increased numbers of motorised conveyances are now out to play, or are actually going somewhere, which decided me to avoid the back doubles on the way home in fear of coming across them all across the road immediately round a blind bend.

• Like 17