The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, laurenceb said:

My guess would be a Mk 58 ex Swiss AF

It's my understanding that Mk 58s were reworked FGA9s - our aircraft from 20 Squadron were so treated and sold to the Swiss I believe.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I did put the A/C in the MhRC on,  Ben the thinking Collie immediately deposited himself below the cooling vents..

Smart doggy!

My sister used to have a really dumb cat. She lived in Edmonton, and one year we bought her one of those small,  ceramic fan heaters as a Christmas present. When she first turned it on and the fan started up, the cat ran out of the room. My sister brought the cat back and despite much struggling got the cat to the front of the heater. As soon as it felt the warm air, a lightbulb went on and it stopped struggling and settled down.

Then, a couple of days later, she found the cat sitting at the heater, which was running, looking very puzzled. She picked the cat up and moved it from the back of the heater round to the front - another feline lightbulb moment!

• Funny 19

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2020 at 22:13, Coombe Barton said:

... and a disappearing coffee grinder.

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2020/06/24/midsummer/

Time was when I used to listen to most of the music you quoted but these days there are so many posts and getting timed out by it seems my AV from suggestions received from members so hope that I can go on.

My apologies to others as I've just noticed this was Wednesday and was one I hadn't read so I'm afraid I will nip to Friday apologising for what I will have missed.  But Best wishes and condolences as necessary.

• Friendly/supportive 15

31 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

It's my understanding that Mk 58s were reworked FGA9s - our aircraft from 20 Squadron were so treated and sold to the Swiss I believe.

Dave

The Swiss did buy ex RAF Hunters but the F 58's were bought new

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

I bow to your superior knowledge Laurence. On 20 Squadron we had a unique aircraft that was an FGA9 with an FR10 nose carrying some of the FR10's cameras. we called it an FGRA 9.5 . I wouldn't imagine that the Mark was ever acknowledged in the various works on the Hunter.

Dave 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Despite all the threats it hasn't rained yet, its just hot and sticky. The seaweed wranglers have promised rain for tomorrow, heavy showers. I e-mailed about the shed, they apologised for the no show of the shed. I'm going to give them another week  then I'll cancel my order and go elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Bet the Phantom was a beast in comparison.

Robert

Yep. Big one too but great to fly. Not as smooth to handle as the Hunter though. 

Dave

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Long before the Blue Peter (blue with a central white square) was "P / Papa" it was flown by the Royal Navy (since 1777) prior to departure.

It was numeric code "2" in the Popham signal flag set.

I wonder why they would fly the numerical 0 or the Dissent signal prior to departure which was what it meant between 1799 and 1803, subsequently changing to numerical 2 in 1803  (until 1810)?  

Blue pierced with a white square doesn't seem to have become an alphabetical flag (and then as letter 'V' ) in RN codes until well on in the 19th century in the RN code books.  But it had become letter P in commercial codes in 1855, basically as a result of the 1854 Merchant Shipping Act requiring that a standard code of flags should be established.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder why they would fly the numerical 0 or the Dissent signal prior to departure which was what it meant between 1799 and 1803, subsequently changing to numerical 2 in 1803  (until 1810)?  

The 1777 reference is from Wictionary and references the Dutch East India Company earlier using an all blue flag to recall everyone to the ship prior to departure. 

From our perspective looking back, the signal codes changed a lot.

Sir Home Riggs Popham developed his code, published it in 1799, tested it at Copenhagen. It was adopted by the Navy in 1803 and in effect at Trafalgar. Popham was promoted to Rear Admiral in 1814.

Interestingly, there are not a lot of online references for the specific details of the code (other than references to Nelson's message to the fleet at Trafalgar) and they are not consistent. This one is very good.

It has an affirmative flag and specifically notes that where a message is not understood, the affirmative is flown with number 8 (a white flag).

This reference contains some differences.

As to the signal codes used prior to 1803, I don't know.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10