The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

With all due respect, thanks but so what?

You are missing the point.  This whole dumbo silly girl nonsense (well I presume that is what it is in view of the names involved) will come as a major financial benefit to members (various) of the legal trade who - as we speak - will be polishing their letterometters and trebling the charge for each one.  No doubt said legal trade members will do their level best to ensure the case comes to court in order to provide an even better, and longer lasting, contribution to their Christmas clubs or wherever else their money goes.  And of course in that they need have no worries as surely there can be nothing more pointless and long drawn out as a bit of ruck over absolutely nothing important between a pair of idiot women married to footballers (I think they're marrired to footballers) who have massive amounts more of money than they do of sense and don't really notice their wives spending it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

And, evenin' all.

A quiet day round here apart from various drops of rain descending occasionally in a mix of quantity per minute and of variable vertical velocity.  This afternoon we (herself and I) went for a car ride -   mainly in order to ensure reinvigoration of the batteryas per advice from the AA man who brought it back to life some weeks back but also to get herselg f out of the house.  We went to Milletts Garden Centre near Frilford which we liked years back when we first discovered it but apart from Covid related stuff it appears the garden centre has turned into a 'garden & home centre' which sounded sufficiently off putting not to be worth investigating.  Gone are the hens and henhouses (for sale) although there is now a ''shepherds hut' sales franchise on the site (there must be some very wealthy shepherds about nowadays, hardly in the Gabriel Oak league it would seem) - among all sorts of other dross - not a patch on Root One for garden related stuff.

On arrival home such was the state of some spuds stored in the currently u/s fridge an expedition to the veg patcj was required - boiled new spuds with butter from garden to tum in under an hour, delectable.

More rain forecast overnight but that's ok as the weeds garden needs it.  Enjoy the rest of  your day folks

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Yesterday was picture postcard weather but a little warm at 31°C.  Today is mostly cloudy and cooler. It is a Saturday, as though that makes a difference, other than what is on television (which for me today is golf, a tape-delayed broadcast since they played early to finish ahead of forecast weather in Connecticut). It's mostly just on in the background.

Sports is returning, sans fans. The Portland women's (English) football team (the Thorns*) played their inaugural match of the season (now a tournament in suburban, Salt Lake City) against their 2018 NWSL cup-winning rivals from North Carolina who scored the winning goal almost four minutes into six minutes of stoppage time. The Thorns consistently draw more fans than any other NWSL club - not so this season.

* A clever team name representing the "City of Roses".

My Android telephone has taken to inform me every day on a constant basis that "Galaxy Store is consuming battery". When I interrogate that, the Galaxy Store App indicates "0% used since last fully charged" for battery usage. I can make the notification go away but it is curious. The 'phone is years old and this is a "new" thing.

I'm not sure what the day will hold. At some point in the late afternoon I will venture out for my daily constitutional. It will be more pleasant than yesterday's 31°C. It is forecast to rain tomorrow. We've had rain on something like the last five consecutive weekends. The rainy season usually ends on July 5.

A month ago I had thought the pandemic might have settled down enough to permit a family gathering for the July 4th weekend. Based on the last two weeks in particular, I think not.

• Friendly/supportive 17

4 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

... smoke alarm as cooker timer

Sadly too little, too late for that purpose. I think we've all been there.

Perhaps you could get two dogs so they may keep each other company if you are out of the house? Or is that too much?

My kitchen appliance drama was my single cup coffee maker. It was a present from my son years ago and something I didn't realize I wanted until it was given to me. After years of sterling service it failed to proceed through it's operational sequence after breakfast yesterday.

So I ventured out to replace it with model that is smaller, with a better designed reservoir and produces hotter coffee. It was advertised as being on sale. When rung up at the cash register, the sale price was not offered, though the cashier willingly made an adjustment when pressed.

That evening after test running the new machine with an after-dinner decaffeinated coffee, I tried the old unit. Of course it worked. Something somewhere in it's non-serviceable insides might have been wet. It is leakier than it once was.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I hope (and expect) none of you are seeing this advertising at the top of a Wheeltappers page like I am. (One of several).

rmwads.PNG.499335887c701fb80ce9a48355d25ab1.PNG

Not for us Loiners..thank goodness!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good evening from a windy but, unfortunately dry, part of Darkest West Sussex.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

But are the blinds vertical? Its only vertical lines or blinds that work.

What a splendid word, I won't say any more for fear of getting too political.

The blinds in my double glazing are horizontal but usually angled as to present a solid wall to most invaders. To date, I have no imprints of any aviators on the glass.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land, Still blowing a hooley outside but its also blown away the rain. A heap of dead grass cuttings I had swept up on the patio have disappeared, they're probably in Clacton by now.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Wood pigeons fly into our windows and leave wing patterns quite often. We have windows with all kinds of blinds. The pigeons make quite a thump but seem to survive. Two young starlings died flying into windows earlier this month.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

It's amazing that he survived.

Alcohol may have been a factor and excessive speed was likely a major contributor to the crash

No sh!t Sherlock! I'm glad he lived - it's a testament to the survivability of modern automobiles.

In local Oregon news, here's one for the "Keep Portland Weird" files:

Oregonian: Portland strippers march for equitable scheduling of Black dancers

At least two of the protesters walked a mile and a half in platform stiletto heels.

A lovely evening tonight. Sunny and mild. Very pleasant. I enjoyed my dinner al fresco on the patio. Rain is forecast overnight and into the morning.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5